Silva vs Weidman... still can't believe it

AldoStillGoat

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
silva-weidman.gif

Weidman looked like a monster taking out Silva who was in the midst of the most dominant stretch of wins in perhaps MMA history. Silva hung around in the UFC for a few more years on the tail end of his career but Weidman who looked like a straight killer got completely destroyed... his body basically broken. How the fuck did this all unfold like that? Looking back on it is crazy to me. Did this really go down like this? the fuck? It's been 8 years and I still cannot believe this shit happened. Both of these fighters basically just disappeared from the top of MMA.

MMA is a cruel fucking sport. Did these guys sell their souls or what? The MMA grim reaper came for both their souls and careers that night.

Silva looked normal in that fight but Weidman looked so damn solid, it was just his day.

Next match looked even more so like this until the check.

He looked so young and strong. Like a fucking killer. He was meant to take the reign from Silva but what happened after feels like he made a deal with the devil that night. Sure we'll let you knock Silva out but your career will be finished shortly after.

Silva was showing flaws in his game before this fight. Let's not forget that Sonnen dropped him multiple times. He was also in his late 30s. Weidman was a young lion with power in his hands, basically Sonnen 2.0 with better striking.

You shouldn't be shocked by how age works TS. Just be glad that Silva's prime lasted much longer than Weidman's.

I was super surprised to see Anderson get knocked silly. I didn't want to say I told you so because I was fan but I knew that showboating would finally catch up to him.

Everyone has their kryptonite - Christopher Weidman was Anderson Silva's end.

I knew Weidman was going to get it done that night, definitley did not see it going down like that though.

I also thought Weidman was going to be one of the longest reigning and consistent champs of all time before that too, so what do I know.

Silva was 38 years old and on borrowed time (to me, getting dropped by relatively pillow fisted Chael was the first crack in the armor--even if the timing on that punch was perfect, Silva's chin used to be god-tier across WW, MW, and even LHW). As amazing and creative as Anderson still was, Weidman was in his physical prime, ridiculously powerful, the worst stylistic match-up possible given his strength, and overall pretty well rounded and talented.

It was the perfect passing of the torch fight. It's a shame Weidman lost the title as soon as he faced a contender in his age group, instead of legends on the wrong side of 36 and up.

Silva was showing flaws in his game before this fight. Let's not forget that Sonnen dropped him multiple times. He was also in his late 30s. Weidman was a young lion with power in his hands, basically Sonnen 2.0 with better striking.

You shouldn't be shocked by how age works TS. Just be glad that Silva's prime lasted much longer than Weidman's.

Sonnen domination aside, no one was expecting a Weidman KO victory. Don't sit here and try to act like you knew that was coming. A loss sure... I could see Silva sustaining that. Having his lights shut off by Weidman? No one saw that coming.

Also, it wasn't just his reign ending.... who knew that would be the beginning of the end of Weidman's career? He looked like he was going to be reigning for a long time after dismantling Silva.

Reactions: d2s
Sonnen domination aside, no one was expecting a Weidman KO victory. Don't sit here and try to act like you knew that was coming. A loss sure... I could see Silva sustaining that. Having his lights shut off by Weidman? No one saw that coming.

Also, it wasn't just his reign ending.... who knew that would be the beginning of the end of Weidman's career? He looked like he was going to be reigning for a long time after dismantling Silva.

There is no such thing as an unbreakable chin and you have been following mma long enough to know that by now. Getting dropped by the pillow-fisted Sonnen was a warning call.

Think of who the most iron-chinned fighters are today. Personally I think of Max Holloway. He will eventually get KO'd if he sticks around long enough. Same with Jon Jones if he decides to keep fighting at heavyweight.

There is no such thing as an unbreakable chin and you have been following mma long enough to know that by now. Getting dropped by the pillow-fisted Sonnen was a warning call.

Think of who the most iron-chinned fighters are today. Personally I think of Max Holloway. He will eventually get KO'd if he sticks around long enough. Same with Jon Jones if he decides to keep fighting at heavyweight.

We found the MMA prophet. Anyone need to win any bets PM this guy.

silva-weidman.gif

Weidman looked like a monster taking out Silva who was in the midst of the most dominant stretch of wins in perhaps MMA history. Silva hung around in the UFC for a few more years on the tail end of his career but Weidman who looked like a straight killer got completely destroyed... his body basically broken. How the fuck did this all unfold like that? Looking back on it is crazy to me. Did this really go down like this? the fuck? It's been 8 years and I still cannot believe this shit happened. Both of these fighters basically just disappeared from the top of MMA.

MMA is a cruel fucking sport. Did these guys sell their souls or what? The MMA grim reaper came for both their souls and careers that night.

Most fans thought Silva was going to destroy Weidman, while, allot of MMA fighters thought Chris was a bad match up. A fight I learned to listen to fighters opinions on fights.

Anderson had been on a decline, it's just that he was still good enough to win, but Chris was in his prime. There's a 10 year age difference.

Also, being champion for a long time is tough, there's a lot of pressure that comes with staying on top and Chris had been preparing for Anderson before Anderson even knew who Chris was.

Back