Silva vs Weidman... still can't believe it

Silva looked normal in that fight but Weidman looked so damn solid, it was just his day.

Next match looked even more so like this until the check.

Good Ole Chris Witherspoon.

Weidman even looked very steady defending it against Machida then what was left of TRTor but the Rockhold fight ruined him .

Regardless as you even admit he was show boating. I don't think he was getting frustrated, he just lacked respect and decided to troll him, and got caught. Chris did nothing special other than catch someone clowning. I could have done that. Thinking Chris proved something that night is probably why so many overrated him.

Now you're the one whos the clown. Chris dominated every single minutes of both fights. Look at the gnp in round 1 of the first fight in slow motion. Silva's eyes roll back after a shot. He was flash ko'd on the ground. Also, second fight : knocked down in the clinch in round one.

Why can't it be a bit of both? Both haters and nuthuggers I think have some good points.

Silva wasn't in his prime, be he also wasn't washed up and was a very very dangerous fighter, and not very far removed from his prime at all. he also is more of a counter striker and Weidman wasn't fallign for the standard tricks he employed against other fighters. he was clowning more as he was trying to get into Weidman's head to have him fight emotionally, in order to get into his Matrix shit. Weidman would always be a dangerous fighter for him, and Sonnen laid the bluerpint down. Most fighters were already defeated coming in but Weidman was able to control it and implement his strategy, and Silav knew he had to do something to keep it on the feet where he had the most advantage, as he didn't enjoy being on the ground in the first round at all.

I honestly think he was being serious, but trying to get into Weidman's head, problem was it backfired and thus led to him getting Ko'd, plus the double punch instead of the standard combo was the nail in the fight for Silva.

This to me still remains the biggest shock factor watching MMA, I am a huge Anderson fan so you can imagine my reaction. As a fan realistically father time was catching up to Anderson, but the man was still dominated. The fight was a combination of father time and Weidman not falling for the mental warfare. Weidman looked like Goat material after defeating Anderson, Machida, and Vitor, then the man fell off a cliff.

The 38/39 year old Silva Weidman beat? Sure.

The 33/34 year old Anderson who was beating Dan Henderson, straight up KO'ing LHWs, and still had his chin/reflexes intact? 50/50 he lands something fight ending, at least.

You're citing his age ignoring he was the undefeated P4P number 1. It's been almost a decade since and he's still a semi relevant boxer.

You're citing his age ignoring he was the undefeated P4P number 1. It's been almost a decade since and he's still a semi relevant boxer.

Silva was so amazing he was still one of the best fighters in the world even at 38/39, and can still box ex-champs well into his 40's.

That said, by his own standards, he was still a step down close to 40 when compared to his mid-30's.

He had one funny kneebar attempt or something like that and didnt take him down once after. Didnt need to but it took more than one takedown + gnp + sub attempt to look better than Silva. Thales Leites, Marquardt etc took him down also, they didnt beat him either.
Weidman only made 2 more attempts after the takedown, and I don't get how Weidman wasn't clearly looking better Maya and latest didn't have any sub attempts on Anderson they also didn't hurt him with punches multiple times Weidman looked way better than either of them and Anderson in their fight

I think you could see in the Bonar match before this as well he was starting to lean more and more heavily on it as well. I think Andersons big weakness in this fight was that he's never been great at leading standing AND avoiding takedowns, you saw it in the Leites and Maia fights as well were he couldnt commit forward barely at all whilst avoiding the ground with them.

Weidman really was best suited to guys like Anderson and Machida who fought slow counter games and didnt pressure him, guys who could come at him more aggressive like Romero, Mousasi, Rockhold, etc suddenly his striking wasnt nearly so effective and mistakes crept into his game generally.
I agree with everything you said the only thing I want to add is I think weidman's chin and reflexes were never the same after the rockhold beating

Silva was so amazing he was still one of the best fighters in the world even at 38/39, and can still box ex-champs well into his 40's.

That said, by his own standards, he was still a step down close to 40 when compared to his mid-30's.

Most of the fighters I think AS would lose to are much closer to AS's age than Weidman and Rockhold.

Yes when you manage to KO someone while taunting them, you get praised, and when you get knocked out while taunting you get criticised for being an idiot, it doesn't change the fact he was taunting and not fighting seriously both times. Its not confusing.

I just rewatched the fight. Apart from the early take down and limited GNP, Silva spent the rest of the fight from mid RND 1, taunting Chris by standing right infront of him with his hands down. If you think that is Silva fighting seriously you need your head examined. All Chris proved in that fight is that he was good enough to catch someone who had their hands down taunting him for 5 minutes. Whether Silva managed to win 100 previous fights while taunting is irrelevant totally.

Fighting with your hands low against a wrestler who has already taken you down isn't as dumb as you are making it, especially when you have famously good reflexes and head movement.

People forget that Weidman was dominant for a while until that spin kick against Luke

I was confident Weidman would beat Silva. I predicted submission but never the less. I love Silva but MW was the weakest division in the UFC during his reign and he had never fought someone as well rounded as Weidman. I just thought Weidman would have his way on the ground with him (and he did).

I also knew that injuries would ultimately be Weidman's undoing. I think he was only 10 fights in this career and he said was already double digs into surgeries. Weidman had a good but short run and there's nothing shameful about Silva losing to him.

His TDD was definitely better at 37-38 than it was at 30-35. So we could say he was better prepared in his 38 years old form to face a guy like Weidman than he was at 30-35 years old form.

His TDD was definitely better at 37-38 than it was at 30-35. So we could say he was better prepared in his 38 years old form to face a guy like Weidman than he was at 30-35 years old form.

I wouldn't say that (particularly 32 - 35), and it's certainly not borne out in the stats.

Anderson was probably at his peak as a fighter through about the Forrest fight. After that, you could see things start to fade, but he was still so good he was getting away with it.

It's fair to say The Chris did look great against Silva.
Silva lost pretty much every minute of those fights.
(In some people's mind that doesn't matter, as we all remember how he lost 4.5 rounds against Sonnen before winning, but yeah... that point should be brought up as a negative more than a positive in some situations)
taking out Silva who was in the midst of the most dominant stretch of wins in perhaps MMA history.
"In the midst of"? More like "at the end of".

Allthough I gotta say people shit too much on the last part of Anderson's career. Saying "He ended his UFC-career with 9 fights, where he only won 1" is technically true but people forget one of those was DC at LHW where Silva over-performed given the expecations, so that fight barely counts as a negative. One was Izzy. One was an overturned doped up win over Nick Diaz.

Last edited:
To be fair, he had the best reign between Silva and Izzy

that's the craziest i ever got watching the end of a fight. i was at a BW3s and i jumped right out of my chair, yelling and screaming. i wasn't the only one of course, but still.

honorable mention to GG / crocop. was watching it at my cousin's house and all i could do was keep repeating 'holy shit... holy shit.....'

Back