How do you deal with not living up to your own expectations?

Oregonmma

2x Ice cream belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I've always had really high expectations for myself since I was young. I thought I would either own my own business, travel all over the world, have tons of friends, bang LA 10's etc. I'm a hard worker and like to do things differently so I thought I could make it happen fairly easily. As we all know life is not that simple and sometimes you can only do so much.

Fast forward to the present day. I'm 28 and I have a solid job, rent my own place, have a pretty nice car, produce rap/hip hop music, own lots of cool stuff etc. I know I'm doing better than others and I should be thankful for what I have but I always feel like it's not good enough. That voice in my head tells me I need to do more and I should be more successful, have more friends, more sex partners etc.

Sometimes my high expectations for myself push me to work harder and try new things to be successful but other times it just makes me depressed that I'm not where I think I should be. So how do you guys deal with it?

TLDR: How do you deal with not living up to your own expectations?

bang LA 10's etc.

That voice in my head tells me I need to do more and I should be more successful, have more friends, more sex partners etc.

You mean being Sherdogger hasn't automatically provided you with those? The rest of us are definitely successful and banging LA 10s. You need to take this up to the mods.

You sound shallow thats probably why you feel like something's missing. As for me i have two methods for dealing with my failings. I can smoke some weed or i can get to work on it. I do a fair amount of both
My parents had some moderate success but my goal was to always be even more successful. I started smoking weed at 13 and burned plenty good years doing nothing but smoking tbh. Definitely did not help out much.

You mean being Sherdogger hasn't automatically provided you with those? The rest of us are definitely successful and banging LA 10s. You need to take this up to the mods.
Oh no yeah I mean most of those things happened immediately after I joined I just mean I wanna bang all the LA 10's and die in a palace of gold lol

If your goal is big shiny cars and hot girls, you will only ever be able to disappoint yourself.

I've always had really high expectations for myself since I was young. I thought I would either own my own business, travel all over the world, have tons of friends, bang LA 10's etc. I'm a hard worker and like to do things differently so I thought I could make it happen fairly easily. As we all know life is not that simple and sometimes you can only do so much.

Fast forward to the present day. I'm 28 and I have a solid job, rent my own place, have a pretty nice car, produce rap/hip hop music, own lots of cool stuff etc. I know I'm doing better than others and I should be thankful for what I have but I always feel like it's not good enough. That voice in my head tells me I need to do more and I should be more successful, have more friends, more sex partners etc.

Sometimes my high expectations for myself push me to work harder and try new things to be successful but other times it just makes me depressed that I'm not where I think I should be. So how do you guys deal with it?

You either realize you aren’t and never were hot shit or spiral into never ending depression at your failure. Or just kinda be annoyed all the time.

Give yourself a break man and be happy with what you have. We all get similar feelings at time, just let them pass on through. Get outside and spend some time in nature.

After failing at everything i tried at, i simply stopped giving a fuck

Now i live the live of a renegade alcoholic, a plague upon society and land ,in constant search of adventure and meaning.
Unfortunately I have been drinking more than I really should when I'm stressed out or depressed. I try to drink only on weekends but it's tough when you are going through it

I've exceeded all my expectations so don't really know how someone would deal with that. I guess my best advice would be to see what you're missing and start working on getting it.

I don't know how that feels. The bar I've set for myself is very low.

I know most people around me are bothered by my lack of ambition.

Whatever, I just coast through life. They're just a bunch of haters jealous of my happiness.

Last edited:

You are pursuing a lot of material or tangible stuff. What about traveling to see the world. Lots of ancient wonders and natural phenomena to observe. Sometimes people want to fill their life with people. Meaningful friendships help, or, if you have those, desiring to have a family. I doubt more sex partners will fill your cup for long.

You are pursuing a lot of material or tangible stuff. What about traveling to see the world. Lots of ancient wonders and natural phenomena to observe. Sometimes people want to fill their life with people. Meaningful friendships help, or, if you have those, desiring to have a family. I doubt more sex partners will fill your cup for long.
I live in an area where the cost of living is very high, so traveling isn't a big option for me atm. I also don't have many friends these days do to most of my high school/college friends living far away and only work with like 3 people. Making new friends as an adult is kind of tough too

Back