Movies TOP GUN: MAVERICK (Named Best Picture by National Board of Review, post #1201)

If you have seen TOP GUN: MAVERICK, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Most franchises fall prey to that at some point and almost always prematurely. Terminator, Lethal Weapon, Beverly Hills Cop all started taking themselves far less seriously after only two movies. It killed BHC on the spot and sent Terminator spiraling downward for two decades and counting.

I think at least Red Letter Media's criticisms of the Star Wars prequels were mostly on point. But if that contributed to what the "solution" ended up being with the sequels than...yikes. The "final solution" for Star Wars.

To be honest I think those Pinkett videos did play a significant factor, not that I'd be that critical of Red Letter Media themselves as they mostly don't tend to claim great knowledge(and honestly I'd value someone coming up with their own comedy as they do over analysis of others work anyway) and even these videos really I don't think focused that much of the "solution" over picking out genuine problems but there sucess did I think help to birth a culture that did. Really I think a lot of the hype around the sequels actually became that they were the anti prequels, thats why I think Lucas was ejected into deep space to make way for Lord Abrams whelding the blessed blockbuster 101 formula.

I do think there is also a difference between taking a franchise seriously and unearnt self importance, a lot of these franchise have definately fallen back to "lore" to sell themselves building up increasingly complex/confused worlds to sustain them. Really though taking a franchise seriously shouldnt just be indulging in nerdy detail it should be things like building up the atmosphere of a setting and the depth of character along the lines of the films your following.

I would say in this case Maverick doesnt recreate the original exactly, that film really was I think a more down to earth(if very romanticized) drama with some dogfighting in it were as this one is more action film were the lead charactacr grows into semi superhero ala Rambo or Rocky as those franchises progressed. Still though I do think it gives him and Rooster enough depth(moreso than latter Rambo you could argue) to help sustain the story and generally its a very well shot film with a lot of style to it.

It helps as well I spose that its a film of its time, a lot of these franchises are trying to update themselves for a new era but Top Gun was a franchise very strongly tied to the style of its era(why I think it become so deeply unfashionable in the 90's) and that style is now very much in fashion again allowing for a close recreation.

Last edited:
Enjoyed the movie more than I thought I would, Val Kilmer was a bit quiet though!

Really the problem with remakes and sequels in recent years is a lot of the time they are just low effort films made to order for studios who know they can depend on the fanbase turning up regardless.

Look back to the 70's and 80's and you had stuff like Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Thing and The Fly but those were films in the hands of creative people. I think this film clearly had more talent than your typical modern remake/sequel involved, Kosinski really has been a bit of a nearly man for years but I think always showed a lot of potential going back to Tron legacy and McQuarrie writing has a good record with the MI films.

I actually think part of the problem Hollywood has now is that talented people don't have as much access to existing properties as they did in the past. Used to be if a director was interested in a certain film or a book there was a good chance they could get the rights to it, these days they tend to be jealously guarded as an investment and used more as pet projects for studio execs.

THIS. GUY. GETS. IT.

That monica barbaro is a beaut mate wouldn't mind a gobby from this sheila at the maccas.
monica-barbaro-at-gifted-premiere-in-la-_3.jpg

Now that I think about it bob didn't do shit in the mission because his laser failed rooster shot that missile blind. Lol wtf bob

Last edited:
Now that I think about it bob didn't do shit in the mission because his laser failed rooster shot that missile blind. Lol wtf bob
I'm almost certain Bob got his in the actual mission after going deadeye in the live runs. Bob and Phoenix were with Maverick, Rooster was with Fanboy and Payback. Rooster had to shoot blind because of Fanboy.

So which one of you turds is getting smacked in the mouth for not telling me about screenX?! Just watched Maverick for the second time in San Diego and they have theaters with "screenX." Didn't know what it was, but bought the ticket because of the time of day.

Guys! ScreenX is 3 screens (main screen and the wall to your left and right) to where you feel like you're immersed in the scene. So on all the flying scenes, the 2 other screens to your left and right come on and that made this 10 times better than my original viewing! That and no old ladies and their grandchildren giving a play by play each scene. Second viewing was awesome because of these 2 things!

I'm almost certain Bob got his in the actual mission after going deadeye in the live runs. Bob and Phoenix were with Maverick, Rooster was with Fanboy and Payback. Rooster had to shoot blind because of Fanboy.
So it was fanboys laser that failed to paint the target?

So which one of you turds is getting smacked in the mouth for not telling me about screenX?! Just watched Maverick for the second time in San Diego and they have theaters with "screenX." Didn't know what it was, but bought the ticket because of the time of day.

Guys! ScreenX is 3 screens (main screen and the wall to your left and right) to where you feel like you're immersed in the scene. So on all the flying scenes, the 2 other screens to your left and right come on and that made this 10 times better than my original viewing! That and no old ladies and their grandchildren giving a play by play each scene. Second viewing was awesome because of these 2 things!
I would travel 110 miles to SD just to see that on screenX I saw it in cinemark XD the sound was excellent.

this is an high 7 or low 8, imo

its good but i think the super high ratings are due to movies being such a letdown lately, when an action film delivers for once all of a sudden its a 10/10 lol

8/10.

Good movie, but watching it once was enough.

Pros:
- Tom Cruise is great.
- There are many feel good moments.
- The score/sounds were good.
- Costume design was good.

Cons:
- it is not very rewatchable. Once you know what happens, you probably won’t want to rewatch it.
- It was over-hyped to me by my friends as the best thing since sliced bread. It was good, but not epic.

Saw it last night. Very fun movie.

Biggest complaints.... there's no reason given why the training has to be only 3 weeks for such a dangerous mission, which apparently they had NO active Navy pilots that could come close to completing it, and the brass seemed quite comfortable with the probability that some pilots would get killed in the process.

Also, why are the nuclear silos so imminently dangerous? What are they threatening in such a short timeframe?

Also, why does the enemy have 5th-Generation fighter jets, and the US Navy doesn't?

Anyway, it would have just taken a few lines of dialogue to explain the importance of the entire movie. So although I'd rated it as 'great' because of how it was shot with real cameras, the action and tension, and seeing it in IMAX, I'm thinking this'll be the only time I watch it.

Personally, I’m kind of glad that they made the enemy nameless and kept the focus on Tom and his crew.

Personally, I’m kind of glad that they made the enemy nameless and kept the focus on Tom and his crew.

If they really wanted to make them 'nameless' they should have not made them so obviously Russian.

*The Hind D
R.ee3eaab6b651950493bae76977587f4a

*They're the only other country besides China that could feasibly have 5th Generation Jets.

If they really wanted to make them 'nameless' they should have not made them so obviously Russian.

*The Hind D
R.ee3eaab6b651950493bae76977587f4a

*They're the only other country besides China that could feasibly have 5th Generation Jets.

True. But, they also said that these “nameless people got their hands of nuclear capable weapons” … when the Russians have already had those for a long time.

Moreover, a direct military attack of America on Russian targets would probably start WW3 and a nuclear war.

I figured it was a country like Iran, that have bought a bunch of Russian weaponry …

True. But, they also said that these “nameless people got their hands of nuclear capable weapons” … when the Russians have already had those for a long time.

Moreover, a direct military attack of America on Russian targets would probably start WW3 and a nuclear war.

I figured it was a country like Iran, that have bought a bunch of Russian weaponry …

I can see both. In the end its whoever you want it to be I guess.

Back