Media Josh Emmett is getting robbed from his FTW title shot?

I think his streak warrants one but he's lucky he's not on a 2 fight losing streak right now TBH. He could've easily lost the Kattar and Ige decisions.

Am I the only one who thinks that Allen deserves a TS? lmao

time:10:20

Josh Emmett has;
- Finished No.3 ranked Featherweight Lamas (Lamas finished Charles Oliveira before)
- 5 UFC Featherweight win streak
- Finished Michael Johnson
- Finished No.12 ranked Featherweight Bektic
- Won a decision vs. No.10 ranked Featherweight Burgos
- Won a decision vs. No.9 ranked Featherweight Dan Ige
- Won a decision (although Split Decision) vs. No.4 ranked Featherweight Kattar

I think he should be the next guy in line. Its weird that Volk thinks Emmett doesn't deserve a title shot and says that no one left to fight for him in FW.

Emmett won against 4 top 10 ranked Featherweights in a row. He already beat no.3 ranked Lamas via KO before as well, with that, 5 top 10 ranked Featherweight wins in total.

There are also others like Bryce Mitchell (6 UFC FW win streak), Allen Arnold (9 UFC FW win streak) with win streaks that they can easily get a title shot with only 1 win.

I agree. Apart from Emmet, Topuria, and maybe Movzar, I don't know of any FWs that have anything for Volk. Certainly not Yair.

Beating Burgos and Ige via decision isn't gonna get him a title shot. The Kattar win is a solid win, but as you said, it was a split and contested decision. He needs to get a convincing top win for people to take him more seriously.
Was good enough for KZ

time:10:20

Josh Emmett has;
- Finished No.3 ranked Featherweight Lamas (Lamas finished Charles Oliveira before)
- 5 UFC Featherweight win streak
- Finished Michael Johnson
- Finished No.12 ranked Featherweight Bektic
- Won a decision vs. No.10 ranked Featherweight Burgos
- Won a decision vs. No.9 ranked Featherweight Dan Ige
- Won a decision (although Split Decision) vs. No.4 ranked Featherweight Kattar

I think he should be the next guy in line. Its weird that Volk thinks Emmett doesn't deserve a title shot and says that no one left to fight for him in FW.

Emmett won against 4 top 10 ranked Featherweights in a row. He already beat no.3 ranked Lamas via KO before as well, with that, 5 top 10 ranked Featherweight wins in total.

There are also others like Bryce Mitchell (6 UFC FW win streak), Allen Arnold (9 UFC FW win streak) with win streaks that they can easily get a title shot with only 1 win.

I'm sure we're in the minotirty, but I tend to agree -- I have picked against Emmett so many times, but he keeps proving me wrong. I'd like to see him get the next shot.

I think it would boost Volk's resume. Also Emmett is the highest ranked FW that Volk hasn't fought. Listen Volk will probably win, but never know if Emmett could clip him because he has power and showed he can go 5 rounds.
My thoughts exactly

With the way the sport is, you need a statement win to get a title shot nowadays. His last win over Kattar is good on paper, but didn't have anybody thinking he's a lock for the next contender.

He's not going to earn it for 5 fight win streak, it took Leon Edwards a lot more than that to get his.

Volk has nothing to win and everything to lose with this matchup.

With a win over Emmett people on these board would complain that he beat up a nobody and that it doesnt add anything to Volks legacy and with a loss people would say Volk got beat up by a journeyman. more importantly most casual fans dont even know who Emmett is.

i personally wouldnt mind this matchup but i would rather see Volkanovski vs Cejudo or at LW.
Cejudo does even less for Volk. You're talking about a former flyweight who never stuck around long enough to be a dominant champ at either of the weight classes he won a belt in. If Volk lost to him, that would be horrendous for his legacy.
Evloev or Mitchell should fight Yair vs. Ortega winner next. Besides being flashy and showing improvements in the Holloway fight, there is no legitimate reason Yair is compelling for a title fight off a single win. Emmett can fight Allen, both of em are talented dudes who've struggled with activity, why not fight in the fall to solidify the next challenger?

If Ortega beats Yair, he really should still be far from a title shot so I also wouldn't mind Evloev v. Mitchell to set up the next TS after Emmett-Allen.
Agreed on those matchups. If they move ahead with Volk at LW, that would be the best way to handle the div.

Emmett finished no.3 ranked Lamas:

Lamas submitted Charles Oliveira before to get his top 5 ranking in FW:

Hey I’m in agreement that Emmet deserves the TS, the Lamas win was a great name on his resume, no doubt about that and would definitely qualify to be that signature win with the exception of a few factors

- Recency bias (win is nearly 5 years old)
- Josh missed weight (can’t remember if he was a late replacement)
- Lamas went 2-3 from this fight up until retirement, a shopworn #3 Lamas win definitely didn’t get better with age
8DE89120-D0A5-469D-A299-FEDE9FC515F8.jpeg

We can agree that Lamas was a great fighter, he was a fight away from being Champ, also went 25:00 with a prime Aldo, not too many fighters can say that who weren’t or are champ. I’m not sure what a video of Lamas beating the current LW Champ @145 in 2016 has to do with the discussion of Emmet deserving a TS halfway through 2022...?
<Fedor23>

Does anyone really think he has anything for Volkanovski?
Most likely not. But who at FW does right now realistically? In Emmett’s defense, he probably has the best shot of hurting Volk with a big shot than any other contender. I just don’t feel real confident in that shot ever landing. It’s either Emmett or Allen next though.

Cejudo does even less for Volk. You're talking about a former flyweight who never stuck around long enough to be a dominant champ at either of the weight classes he won a belt in. If Volk lost to him, that would be horrendous for his legacy.

People atleast know who Cejudo is and he is a former 2 division champion and a olympic gold medalist. that is one hell of a pedigree.

if this potentional matchup would be promoted the proper way it could do decent ppv numbers. people just dont care about Emmett.

People atleast know who Cejudo is and he is a former 2 division champion and a olympic gold medalist. that is one hell of a pedigree.

if this potentional matchup would be promoted the proper way it could do decent ppv numbers. people just dont care about Emmett.
Problem is no one cares about Cejudo either, it's why the UFC let him retire and moved on so quick.

Sure, he's more of a name than Emmett in the same way a serial killer is better than a child molester.

Besides, they already rewarded Henry with an undeserved title shot once, and he repaid them by demanding better pay or fucking off - there's no chance they'll do the same again.

How is he getting robbed?? lol

Sorry but Emmett seems like a nice guy and he is a solid fighter, but he barely ever fights, he doesn't have some incredible win streak either, sure he has won a couple of fights in a row, but its not like he has won 10 in a row against all the best. He needs to fight way more and for people to know him, because he is not exactly active and putting in the work. He is old too.

Nice guy I'm certain of it, but stop this entitled behaviour, you really haven't done anything outstanding for a title shot, he is soooooo inactive. IF he fights much more and against better competition then I'll be more than happy for him to have a title shot.

As others have said, nothing he has done has shown he belongs in there with Volk. Needs a signature win to show he belongs.

Most likely not. But who at FW does right now realistically? In Emmett’s defense, he probably has the best shot of hurting Volk with a big shot than any other contender. I just don’t feel real confident in that shot ever landing. It’s either Emmett or Allen next though.

i think Yair has a better chance. Emmett doesn't throw enough strikes to hit Volk. Yair can use his dynamic kicking game and attack from a different distance than most of the punchers that Volk has fought. gives Volk a different look.

I'll go 50/50 on this one. He has an argument for getting a title shot, but "deserves" isn't the word I'd use.

On the other matter, I'm on Emmett's side with the whole being seated in the cheap seats and getting no camera time since he wasn't cage side. The thing about "not having a name", etc. is actually a product of this kind of treatment. What better way to boost a fighter than to show him cage side during a championship in his division, while he's considered one of the possible challengers. The UFC dropped the ball on that one. I think Emmett has a right to be pissed about it, even if he's not the solid #1 contender.

It's a matter of him not being marketable, otherwise he'd be there.

They gave Aldo a titleshot after losing a split decision to Marlon Moraes.
Aldo won that fight in Dana eyes. Thats why he got the shot. IMO it was a clear win for Aldo

Back