Critique My Snatch

I'd like to see you have your hips a little bit higher during your set up. Also open your chest, think like you're a model showing her tits off if makes sense. The goal should be to have your body vertical rather than bent over. Also don't bend your arms early.

I'd like to see you have your hips a little bit higher during your set up. Also open your chest, think like you're a model showing her tits off if makes sense. The goal should be to have your body vertical rather than bent over. Also don't bend your arms early.

Great feedback, thanks. For sure I'm starting the pull too early in the vid. I tried it this morning with a broomstick and the motion does feel cleaner when I leave my arms straight until the bar is in my hip crease. What are your thoughts on my shoulder and upper thoracic ROM? From the side view my entire back and arms are pretty much straight up and down vertical - maybe arms barely beyond that. In vids, competitive lifters have their arms significantly behind their torso with a uniform back arch.

It's also evident I'm doing a power snatch and then sinking into an (almost) full snatch bottom position. Is it worth continuing to do this or should I just stand up from the initial receiving position and separately work to lower the receiving position?

Have been working on this about 3 months with proper lifting shoes (Asics 727) and can finally sink into an OH squat on a flat surface. Still ugly as hell and I almost lost control on 2nd rep and couldn’t go all the way down. 3rd rep is probably the best one but that’s not saying much.

All comments welcome. I’d like to work toward a 1 x BW (170 lbs) snatch and this is the heaviest I’ve gone at 70 lbs. From the side view, I’m off balance at the lock out and my lack of thoracic ROM is evident at the bottom. I'm not showing the uniform back arch throughout shoulders, upper and lower back - which is why I'm struggling to maintain control of this hilariously light weight.

Have been doing these as a warm up for my main workouts. Natty 48 yo who lifts twice/week on top of BJJ/Judo. Have been attempting this lift for awhile and feeling like I’ve had it with this MFing snatch on this MFing plane.

Watching the video slowed down your first pull is horrible and doesn't put you in the right position for the second and final pulls. You need to get a better setup (plenty of videos about stacking correctly for the setup) and first pull. But I would recommend hang snatches until you learn how the final extension properly. Then work on pulling it from the floor.

Watching the video slowed down your first pull is horrible and doesn't put you in the right position for the second and final pulls. You need to get a better setup (plenty of videos about stacking correctly for the setup) and first pull. But I would recommend hang snatches until you learn how the final extension properly. Then work on pulling it from the floor.

Thanks for the feedback. I know my final extension is sloppy as hell. What do you think about my shoulder ROM? Is it sufficient or do I need to improve it before being able to complete the lift properly? My sense is that my ROM is not quite sufficient to catch the bar properly overhead at depth and that's why I'm off balance, but of course my technique needs copious work as well.

Thanks for the feedback. I know my final extension is sloppy as hell. What do you think about my shoulder ROM? Is it sufficient or do I need to improve it before being able to complete the lift properly? My sense is that my ROM is not quite sufficient to catch the bar properly overhead at depth and that's why I'm off balance, but of course my technique needs copious work as well.

You definitely have mobility issues that need to be worked on. It's like that for most people starting in weightlifting. The big thing to remember is the first pull is 100% about getting yourself in the right position for your second and final pull.

Weightlifters are typically trained from hang first to learn proper extension. Then lower to a above the knee hang. Then below the knee hang then finally from the floor.

Klokov has a good series of instructional videos..

Other people like to start with Garage Strength or Zac Telander on YouTube for good guides.

I also highly recommend you start doing a TON of front squats moderate weight and overhead squats for training balance and coordination on the bottom position.

You should also look into a good weightlifting stretch and mobility program to get your hips opening up.

Last edited:
You definitely have mobility issues that need to be worked on. It's like that for most people starting in weightlifting. The big thing to remember is the first pull is 100% about getting yourself in the right position for your second and final pull.

Weightlifters are typically trained from hang first to learn proper extension. Then lower to a above the knee hang. Then below the knee hang then finally from the floor.

Klokov has a good series of instructional videos..

Other people like to start with Garage Strength or Zac Telander on YouTube for good guides.

I also highly recommend you start doing a TON of front squats moderate weight and overhead squats for training balance and coordination on the bottom position.

You should also look into a good weightlifting stretch and mobility program to get your hips opening up.

Great stuff, thank you. And there's some very usable details in that vid (and the other two parts) that I need to digest and implement. It's becoming clear to me that I'll never nail this lift properly if I keep half-assing it as a warm-up while prioritizing back squat, bench and DL. As you say, I need to properly dedicate a few months to cleaning up my associated lifts like front squats, overhead squats, hang snatches, etc. to improve balance and ROM in those positions building to a full snatch.

Last edited:
Great stuff, thank you. And there's some very usable details in that vid (and the other two parts) that I need to digest and implement. It's becoming clear to me that I'll never nail this lift properly if I keep half-assing it as a warm-up while prioritizing back squat, bench and DL. As you say, I need to properly dedicate a few months to cleaning up my associated lifts like front squats, overhead squats, hang snatches, etc. to improve balance and ROM in those positions building to a full snatch.

Yeah man it's surprisingly way different than the normal strength movements and the technical skills required are on another level.

You can bullshit through bad form only so far with the snatch. That said, no other movement has increased my overall athletic abilities like training the snatch. I snatch twice a week, squat twice a week (front and atg high bar) for assistance.

It's fine to train it first, but the hip movement pattern is different than a regular back squat and deadlift. So I would recommend tailoring your workouts around increasing the snatch if you want real results.

good stuff, lurking and listening. Also noted, it's not going to get much better doing it twice a week between other lifts just for fun.

Yeah man it's surprisingly way different than the normal strength movements and the technical skills required are on another level.

You can bullshit through bad form only so far with the snatch. That said, no other movement has increased my overall athletic abilities like training the snatch. I snatch twice a week, squat twice a week (front and atg high bar) for assistance.

It's fine to train it first, but the hip movement pattern is different than a regular back squat and deadlift. So I would recommend tailoring your workouts around increasing the snatch if you want real results.

Oh yeah, I'm sold on the benefits. I used to do one-arm kettlebell snatches at my work gym before COVID lockdown hit, and even with my shit form they seemed to be improving my agility and explosion in a way my regular workouts weren't. The only bad thing I've heard anyone say about the snatch is that it's hard as shit to learn properly. But a lot of pro fighters I've trained with and around seem to be big fans of snatch and C&J for overall athleticism.

good stuff, lurking and listening. Also noted, it's not going to get much better doing it twice a week between other lifts just for fun.

Yeah, for sure it's a new and different movement I need to dedicate more time to. I do practice it 5-6 days a week with a broomstick or the handle of my aluminum extenda-pole in the basement, but that's not the same as a barbell, which is much less forgiving. I'm going to take @jgarner's advice and work on OH squat, hang snatches and front squats + the form work in the vids posted itt. Until recently I trained 6 days/week with 3 days lifting and 3 days BJJ/Judo but when I hit late 40's my body wasn't recovering from the lift days so I went to two. Maybe if I focus on form work with light weight, I can handle 3 lift days/week.

Yeah, for sure it's a new and different movement I need to dedicate more time to. I do practice it 5-6 days a week with a broomstick or the handle of my aluminum extenda-pole in the basement, but that's not the same as a barbell, which is much less forgiving. I'm going to take @jgarner's advice and work on OH squat, hang snatches and front squats + the form work in the vids posted itt. Until recently I trained 6 days/week with 3 days lifting and 3 days BJJ/Judo but when I hit late 40's my body wasn't recovering from the lift days so I went to two. Maybe if I focus on form work with light weight, I can handle 3 lift days/week.

I like it because it works the body like hell from pushing new ranges and trying to balance holding weight in position. But it's not extreme heavy weight (yet) so even messing up, can just safely bail out without worrying about blowing back or knees out.
And you can break it down in 3 parts making a killer workout. 1st move lifts, high pulls , OH squatting. It's a 10 for 1 deal.
It's carry over is helping ring pull ups too. Able to pack shoulders better and hang in false grip more comfortable. Arms are finally straight after a few weeks of slowly sinking into them.

I like it because it works the body like hell from pushing new ranges and trying to balance holding weight in position. But it's not extreme heavy weight (yet) so even messing up, can just safely bail out without worrying about blowing back or knees out.
And you can break it down in 3 parts making a killer workout. 1st move lifts, high pulls , OH squatting. It's a 10 for 1 deal.
It's carry over is helping ring pull ups too. Able to pack shoulders better and hang in false grip more comfortable. Arms are finally straight after a few weeks of slowly sinking into them.

Shit are you working on muscle ups? I tried to learn those a few years ago and was working on false grip, but gave up because I didn't have regular access to rings and lifting at home, my basement isn't high enough over my pull up bar unless I want to drive my head through the ceiling.

Shit are you working on muscle ups? I tried to learn those a few years ago and was working on false grip, but gave up because I didn't have regular access to rings and lifting at home, my basement isn't high enough over my pull up bar unless I want to drive my head through the ceiling.
so-so.gif

If you gonna pick difficult technique based workouts, try to learn them all at once lol
Have noticed it's easier to move 200lb in front of my hands, than it is the 200lbs behind my hands.

so-so.gif

If you gonna pick difficult technique based workouts, try to learn them all at once lol
Have noticed it's easier to move 200lb in front of my hands, than it is the 200lbs behind my hands.

No way I'd try to learn both muscle ups and snatch at the same time. Snatch alone is an ego check lol. But not having regular access to rings has been one of my regrets over the years - I set up a pair on the overhang balcony when I lived in an apartment but they were just hanging from about 18" of nylon rope tied to the metal support beam and that's not enough to be free swinging or do any of the things you want to do on rings other than basic pull ups. I think you need at least 5' above the rings and ideally much more. The closest I came to muscle ups was reps on the gravitron pull up station with base 20 lbs of assistance.

But I think packing shoulders and ROM to get arms behind head (needed for proper snatches and muscle ups) is very neglected among casual lifters. On top of allowing cleaner mechanics on just about any pull, it also fixes your posture. Years ago when I was single, some movement coach chick once asked me to extend my arms over my head. Then she was like, "yeah, your shoulders are tight and your ROM is bad because you're not doing proper mobility work." I was like

<{walkerwhut}>

but she was right. That's why my form on overhead press, handstands, cartwheels, etc. have always looked like crap. Gymnasts have that shit dialed in like a science and are some of the best pure athletes around.

Last edited:
Can watch and laugh at plenty of gym vids. Snatch fails are hard to stomach, the arms snapping back or weight crashing on head into floor.

Can watch and laugh at plenty of gym vids. Snatch fails are hard to stomach, the arms snapping back or weight crashing on head into floor.

Pretty much should never happen if you train correctly. Lot's of idiots out there though.

I'm not great at oly lifts even though I've been doing them a while now. Personally, I'd want to see how your high hang snatch looks with a bar or very light weight. Then maybe a hang from below knees. I know you are older, as am I (40), but it looks like you have some clear mobility issues and your lift looks very segmented. I think you'd be better suited working from the top down. Maybe even starting with just getting more comfortable with overhead squats and then maybe drop snatches.

I'm not great at oly lifts even though I've been doing them a while now. Personally, I'd want to see how your high hang snatch looks with a bar or very light weight. Then maybe a hang from below knees. I know you are older, as am I (40), but it looks like you have some clear mobility issues and your lift looks very segmented. I think you'd be better suited working from the top down. Maybe even starting with just getting more comfortable with overhead squats and then maybe drop snatches.

You guys are spot on, I need to work from top down. I tried again this morning and broke it down to constituent lifts with light weight: front squats, C&J, overhead squats and low hang snatch. Front squats and C&J felt fine but OH squat is where my form completely falls apart. I don't yet have the balance or form to even do 65 lbs cleanly and had to drop to just the bar. With that I can cleanly go to thighs parallel for reps but my right ankle impingement is a factor. Cleanest way I can do them is with a wide stance and arms very wide with bar only an inch or so over my head.

The other issue that's been called out is my set up. I guess I've been reflexively starting like a barbell bent over row which is obviously wrong. Belph and jgarner are correct that my hips were too low and starting the first pull with arms was dicking up the overhead position after third pull. Completing the first pull with arms straight and bar close to my body made the second and third pulls feel much cleaner. My final 3 sets of snatches with just the bar felt a lot cleaner than the OP vid, and warming up with 6 or 7 sets on the other lifts definitely helped me get looser. I wanted to record them but my 4 year old came down to the basement, wanted to "help" daddy workout and made me help her "drive the bus" on my Titan rickshaw between sets. Then I had to finish up because we had tickets to the morning showing of Squirrel Stole my Underpants at the local kids' center.

Back