The fighters who never gave up on their dreams

TheBulge

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
The latest Zabit thread(where he talks about rage-quitting due to fight cancellations, health issues etc.) has inspired this one.

There have been guys out there who went through many years of disappointments. Losses, injuries, bad luck etc. And yet they still ended up making big money, even winning the world title.

Lawler-Thought he was done in SF when he was bearded and kept getting grapplefucked. Fast forward years later and he became an ATG WW champ.

Anderson-Huge start beating Sakurai the #1 WW in the world. Soon would go on to lose by sub to journeymen and nearly retired. Failed to become a doctor and then eventually became the MW GOAT.

Glover and Oliveira are recent examples. You should add more you can think of. These guys deserve a lot of respect.

Michael-Bisping.-Photos-%C2%A9-Noah-K.-Murray-USA-TODAY-Sports-Mazdak-Cavian_-MMAnytt-1280x652.jpg

Bratha lost an eye for this. Still kept going. I'd pussy out.

RDA. He started his career losing and went on streaks but kept losing key fights and he still kept pushing until he eventually won the LW title and even moved up and picked up some wins at WW.

Werdum. Was good in PRIDE. Moved to the UFC and was still good and lost to JDS and got cut and then he went to Strikeforce and was still good but still not championship level. Returned to the UFC and went on a run and won the HW title.

Randy Couture, in many parts of his career. Started at a very old age, beat Belfort who was supposed to kill him (I know a bit off subject but overcoming odds even at the beginning) and like I said many parts of his career but coming back to win the UFC HW title for a 3rd time was unexpected by many. I picked him in that Sylvia fight but it still was very inspiring.

He was a HW scheduled to face Andrei Arlovski when they offered him a LHW title fight against Chuck and that was when things really took off for him despite already having been a champion but also had many losses and kept getting subbed in Japan (well more than expected). Three UFC HW titles while being old and tiny compared to most, two LHW titles and one LHW interim title, his whole career was doing shit people didn't expect him to and dominating in many fights he wasn't supposed to. It feels like his whole career was an uphill battle and a story of overcoming.

Last edited:
OGC.e901bcc5c84cc3f1f1d914bd63c57e92

Great examples TS.

Maybe not as epic but Mark Coleman prior to winning 2000 GP. String of losses including one fixed fight. Being desperate enough to take a fixed fight as a prize fighter is a bad deal.

Jan Blachowicz is a good one that hasn't been mentioned here yet. The guy was 34 years old, on a 1-4 streak in the UFC, and on the verge of getting cut. Nobody in the world even considered this man as anywhere approaching a title threat at that point in his career. But he kept working, steadily improved his skills and fight IQ, and completely turned the tables of his career to the tune of a 9-1 streak and world LHW championship.

OGC.e901bcc5c84cc3f1f1d914bd63c57e92

Great examples TS.

Maybe not as epic but Mark Coleman prior to winning 2000 GP. String of losses including one fixed fight. Being desperate enough to take a fixed fight as a prize fighter is a bad deal.
I don’t feel like it was a “fixed fight”. It was clearly a work. PRIDE still had a bit of pro wrestling to it at that point, and I think everyone could tell the difference.

I don’t feel like it was a “fixed fight”. It was clearly a work. PRIDE still had a bit of pro wrestling to it at that point, and I think everyone could tell the difference.
I guess I'm not aware of the difference between fixes and works.

I first started watching old pride so in a vacuum so I had no idea this stuff was happening for years.

images

Bisping is the representation of perseverance he's the true and only BMF, he fought Vitor TRT when no one wanted to face this monster.

he lost his eye because that fight. Any man would retire after losing his eye but he kept going.
Just to clarify something I've wondered about for a while...

I've always thought that "losing his eye" was metaphorical, even when he removed that prosthetic on camera, it's not a full fake eyeball there, just a "cover" for aesthetic... his eye is still there under it, but he can't see much out of it.

I think he said 30% or something, which was how he was able to fool to doctors into thinking he was still seeing well. You couldn't get cleared to fight at this level if you're literally missing an eyeball.

Then some time after the Gastelum fight, when he was sure he was staying retired, he had his eyeball removed entirely, so it stopped hurting, and since he could barely see out of it anyway...

I'm sure I got some details wrong, but that's pretty much the gist of it, right? He still had his eye in the UFC, it was just damaged badly and he couldn't see well out of it?

About fighters that never gave up on their dreams, I'd like to give a shout out to Yoon Dong Sik, aka the Judo King without a Crown
  • 12384.jpg
When he arrived in Japan in 2005 and lost his first fight against Kazushi Sakuraba, the Gracie Hunter invited him to stay in Japan and train in MMA with his connections.
That's when the man that will later be known as the Dongbar made a vow... he would stay in Japan and keep fighting until he got a win.

PRIDE never let him have an easy one though, even if his next fight against his former Judo rival Makoto Takimoto (who won a Gold medal in the 2000s Summer Olympic in Sydney) was arguably a step down in competition...
Sadly he didn't taste victory yet, and lost to the man he once beat in Judo at the 2000 Osaka games, where Takimoto got the Bronze medal while Yoon Dong Sik got the gold.
  • 20004.jpg
Dong Sik Yoon then faced Rampage Jackson, showing his toughness by taking Quinton to a decision
  • 25856.jpg
then lost another decision to former UFC champion, Brazilian Top Team OG and all around BJJ badass Murilo Bustamante.

• 37585.jpg
Things started to look grim for our King without a Crown, and when he was matched up against Melvin Manhoef for his first fight outside of PRIDE, he was a huge underdog.
"No Mercy" was in a pretty good place at this point, being 17-3-1 in MMA, with his only recent loss being to Judo prodigy Sexyama.

The fight started and Manhoef was true to his nickname, it was pretty damn violent!

But Dong did it, he did it the absolute madman!!!
  • 44885.jpg
The Dongbar was officially born, I don't know if it was first used by a sherdogger but someone posted a thread right after the fight titled "DONG DONG DONG I LOVE DONG" in which he descibred the dongbar, so if he got it somewhere else, it made its way to sherdog fast.

But since the fight wasn't in California, I guess it didn't count in his head? Because his next opponent is a favorite of mine, another striker, the man we used to call "Lil' Cro Cop" while he was fighting in Cage Rage (he even won the MW belt there!) and sherdoggers were making threads and highlights of his KO's, I'm of course talking about ZELG "BENKEI" GALESIC

Dude just looked like he was having so much fun in there, always smiling, his walkouts where always infectious when he'd look at the crowd bopping his head... I couldn't help but root for the Croatian, even if I still wanted Dong to get his win in Japan!
... WHICH HE DID VIA DONGBAR AGAIN!!!

His quest was over, his career wasn't, but he had persevered, never took an easy fight, and it had been a pleasure watching him compete in Sakuraba's QUINTET events in 2018... MMA is a flat circle, and to me, seems like Donbars are winning!

RDA. He started his career losing and went on streaks but kept losing key fights and he still kept pushing until he eventually won the LW title and even moved up and picked up some wins at WW.

Werdum. Was good in PRIDE. Moved to the UFC and was still good and lost to JDS and got cut and then he went to Strikeforce and was still good but still not championship level. Returned to the UFC and went on a run and won the HW title.

RDA was the first guy who came to mind.

Arianny Celeste has beat out all the other young, hungry broads to stay on top.
Did you mean "to lay on top"?

Then again she wouldn't be able to stay on top if she only laid on top, no matter how fine she may be.

Would Carla some how finding herself champion again without really growing as a fighter count?

Back