When someone got a cut in PRIDEFC

HHJ

Unimpressed Jiri
@plutonium
Reaction score
It seemed like if someone had a bad cut in PRIDE,they would just stop the match right there and a team of guys would go to work on it in the middle of a match. It really gave the guy alot of time to recover. Anyone know what the rules were on something like that?

kosaka.JPG

That was pretty much the rules, if someone got busted open nasty, they’d work on it asap so the fight could continue. The current rules don’t allow for cuts to be worked on mid round. The thing is, if they could be worked on asap, they don’t get as severe. I think for something like accidental headbutts, they should be worked on mid round. I don’t know if they are tho. I also think for eye pokes, they should allow eye wash to be used. Eye wash feels great and it’s soothes the eye. I don’t know why they don’t do this. It would lead to more fighters wanting to continue on. Idk. Lots of rules need tweaking. We need four point attacks. I.e. knees to the head on the ground and upkicks legalized. Colorado legalized them for one fc. They need to be legal in Cali, Nevada and then the other states will follow.

I mean, you can’t fake a cut, and that rule most times than not made the spectacle continue.

Last edited:
That was pretty much the rules, if someone got busted open nasty, they’d work on it asap so the fight could continue. The current rules don’t allow for cuts to be worked on mid round. The thing is, if they could be worked on asap, they don’t get as severe. I think for something like accidental headbutts, they should be worked on mid round. I don’t know if they are tho. I also think for eye pokes, they should allow eye wash to be used. Eye wash feels great and it’s soothes the eye. I don’t know why they don’t do this. It would lead to more fighters wanting to continue on. Idk. Lots of rules need tweaking. We need four point attacks. I.e. knees to the head on the ground and upkicks legalized. Colorado legalized them for one fc. They need to be legal in Cali, Nevada and then the other states will follow.
The thing is though is that it does interrupt the flow of the fight. Ive seen fights where they will stop it to clean the cut several times in one round.

The thing is though is that it does interrupt the flow of the fight. Ive seen fights where they will stop it to clean the cut several times in one round.
Yes and not to mention the ring, when they get caught up in the ropes, the ref pauses the fight to center the fight in the middle again. Great for a live viewing audience. Not so great for the flow of the fight.

Yes and not to mention the ring, when they get caught up in the ropes, the ref pauses the fight to center the fight in the middle again. Great for a live viewing audience. Not so great for the flow of the fight.
We've all got accustomed to the nowadays rules,so the differences in PRIDE rules stick out so much more now.

We've all got accustomed to the nowadays rules,so the differences in PRIDE rules stick out so much more now.
I’m old, so I remember Pride when it was still operating when I was a teenager, that shit was way more hardcore than ufc. It felt like a spectacle. It felt huge. Everything about Price gel’d well. I didn’t care about the restarts and stuff like that, Pride rules, Pride judging, Pride ring, Pride pro steroids = entertainment to the max. Hardly ever a boring fight.

I saw something like that in a recent sumo match, believe it or not. A headbutt had cut open a guy's forehead and he was dripping onto the floor. Not only did they stop the fight then and there and made the sumos freeze in position while they did their damndest to staunch the blood, after the bout was over they took extreme care to pour fresh dirt over the clay and sweep it around it to hide the splatter.

There's a lot of Shinto religious tradition that tinges Sumo, and in Shinto blood is considered ritually "unclean". So maybe the Japanese carried that feeling over to another combat sport, to MMA? That spilt blood in the ring was very bad and had to be stopped as fast as possible. It could explain why Pride was fine with soccer kicks and what not that our own commissions find icky, but would not allow elbows.

I’m old, so I remember Pride when it was still operating when I was a teenager, that shit was way more hardcore than ufc. It felt like a spectacle. It felt huge. Everything about Price gel’d well. I didn’t care about the restarts and stuff like that, Pride rules, Pride judging, Pride ring, Pride pro steroids = entertainment to the max. Hardly ever a boring fight.
I love you bro.

You took me back to the first fight I ever watched of MMA. Fedor vs. Randleman, live on cable TV while I was flipping through channels to watch cartoon network in the early 2000's.

I love you so much bro.

You too @HHJ

I miss PRIDE so bad. The brutality of it was magical. Foot stomps and soccer kicks were my favorite.
<Oku03><{JustBleed}>

Goddamn the UFC and US MMA for being so fucking weak and watered down. It feels like literally 90% of the fights are "circle, jab, takedown attempt, jab, big punch, takedown, basic grapple"..... its so fucking boring compared to PRIDE. Not to mention the weak ass bitch refs who love stopping fights at the very first sign of trouble. :mad:

For me, the ideal MMA ruleset would be PRIDE rules + elbows, including 12-to-6 elbows (and punish refs for early stoppages or bad calls). Oh, and PEDs should be legal and encouraged (I'm serious). That would be badass as hell.

I miss PRIDE so bad. The brutality of it was magical. Foot stomps and soccer kicks were my favorite.
<Oku03><{JustBleed}>

Goddamn the UFC and US MMA for being so fucking weak and watered down. It feels like literally 90% of the fights are "circle, jab, takedown attempt, jab, big punch, takedown, basic grapple"..... its so fucking boring compared to PRIDE. Not to mention the weak ass bitch refs who love stopping fights at the very first sign of trouble. :mad:

For me, the ideal MMA ruleset would be PRIDE rules + elbows, including 12-to-6 elbows (and punish refs for early stoppages or bad calls). Oh, and PEDs should be legal and encouraged (I'm serious). That would be badass as hell.
Good times. Peds made it better, heavyweight was my favorite division back then. Not anymore

<Oku03><{JustBleed}>

I genuinely wish some rich Japanese investors would just buy back the Pride name and fight library so we could have it again with Pride rules plus elbows / 6-12 etc.

I feel bad for you youngsters never witnessing the greatness of Pride FC: from the promo's to the ring introductions, the legendary walk outs, +50.000 sold out venues, the fact that some fights weren't announced beforehand and you didn't know the opponent of your favorite fighter, the GP's, the face stomps and soccer kicks, a 10 minute first round, etc.

Ooh the memories ...

<mma1>

Tell that to Sakuraba. I'm sure he'd be interested about your take.

Nearly 20 years you've been a fan, also watching PRIDE when it was around for us mad heads. How odd to ask this question now?

I feel like if a cut is caused by a headbutt, they should pause the match and work on it but if it’s by a legal strike, then it should continue until the end of the round.

Nearly 20 years you've been a fan, also watching PRIDE when it was around for us mad heads. How odd to ask this question now?
Because,as i just said,these things are alot more noticable now than then

I genuinely wish some rich Japanese investors would just buy back the Pride name and fight library so we could have it again with Pride rules plus elbows / 6-12 etc.
That already happened. It was called DREAM.

Without all the fighters they lost when PRIDE went under though....

There were boring fights and also cards that didnt look that good if you look at them now. No amount of rules can stop boring fights. The thing is that PRIDE was really good at hiding the negatives,accentuating the positives,and promoted the first guy on the card like they were a star. (if it was possible)

So you got the sense there werent any jobber matches,they made it seem like you had to watch em all. Prelims was not a word.

Back