News Tom Aspinall reveals torn MCL and meniscus in UFC London loss to Curtis Blaydes

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
A little more than a week after injuring his knee at UFC Fight Night 208, Tom Aspinall has the diagnosis.

Aspinall(12-3 MMA, 5-1 UFC), who blew out his right knee just 15 seconds into his headliner against Curtis Blaydes in London, said he tore his MCL and meniscus, as well as suffered damage to his ACL.
The rising heavyweight Brit posted on social media to reveal the news and said he will undergo surgery Wednesday.

Today is surgery day. I’m in London right now and I’m absolutely starving because I can’t eat before surgery,” Aspinall said. “I have suffered a torn MCL, a torn meniscus and some ACL damage, so going to get that fixed today.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2022...l-meniscus-acl-surgery-loss-vs-curtis-blaydes

Maybe someone can explain it to me please but I don’t see how watching that footage the result is this terrible injury?

that seriously sucks. He's out for a year+ with that damage.

A young dynamic HW like Tom honestly looked ready to grab the HW division by the balls. Who knows what he'll be like after rehabbing that injury.
Looks can be deceiving.

People need to strengthen their knees joints/tendons/ligaments before it gets injured and needing surgery. Lots of ways to do it. But usually people only start doing it after it's injured when they are doing rehab and physical therapy after surgery. This is why a lot injure it with a simple miss-step or having the weight not distributed properly. Should be doing a lot of training on just one leg, or distributing most of the weight primarily on one leg.

People need to strengthen their knees joints/tendons/ligaments before it gets injured and needing surgery. Lots of ways to do it. But usually people only start doing it after it's injured when they are doing rehab and physical therapy after surgery. This is why a lot injure it with a simple miss-step or having the weight not distributed properly. Should be doing a lot of training on just one leg, or distributing most of the weight primarily on one leg.
What are some ways to strengthen the knee joints/tendons/ligaments?
I always figured that people should strengthen the muscles around the knee, like the quads, hamstrings, calves etc.

Hope that he comes back with the same physical abilities, but IMO this was down to poor fight IQ and trying to get a crazy finish in front of the home crowd.

He came out aggressively spamming strikes at Blaydes, who had him timed and was countering, which is why he was forced to pull back so quickly and took the awkward step.

If Blaydes' hands were more accurate, that could've been a very early KO.

Maybe someone can explain it to me please but I don’t see how watching that footage the result is this terrible injury?

ligament tears happen all the time. lose your footing or twist a certain way when you shouldn't and ligaments can tear. especially for big guys.

some things aren't proportional. which is why you see more KOs at HW than flyweight.
some people have bad genetics (dominik cruz, cain velasquez), while others almost never pull out from injury (diaz bros)

Very dissappointing - just when he was about to break into the big time he gets injured by a freak occurence and will be out months if not over a year and will never be the same athlete he was. :(

Hope that he comes back with the same physical abilities, but IMO this was down to poor fight IQ and trying to get a crazy finish in front of the home crowd.

He came out aggressively spamming strikes at Blaydes, who had him timed and was countering, which is why he was forced to pull back so quickly and took the awkward step.

If Blaydes' hands were more accurate, that could've been a very early KO.
Nothing about his attack or movement was abnormal, this was truly a freak injury. I wouldnt over analyze a singular exchange on a 15 second fight.

meniscus and MCL aren't career breaking. ACL would be the worst, good thing he didn't tear it, though they wont know for sure until the Surgeon can get in there and see for himself.

Without an ACL reconstruction he'll be back in 4-6 months probably. Depends on how the meniscus is treated really.

Back