Usman got caught making the technically sound move

BrunswickMAF

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I see a lot about this fight settles that Usman isn't the GOAT. He parried the left and moved his head to the outside. That's the right thing to do, the sound technical boxing move. Leon just caught him with a kick which is equally technically sound. In this game of chess, Usman made the correct move and Leon countered properly. IMO Usman wasn't sloppy, he just got kicked perfectly and got KO'd

NINTCHDBPICT000754871307.jpg

Agree on perfect execution by Leon.

But Usman should have been expecting a kick, specifically a headkick due to the circumstances.

- Leon went southpaw. He primarily goes southpaw to kick.

70 seconds left
Usman clearly up on the cards
Leon needed a ko to win

Kickboxing a kickboxer at kicking range is a bad idea for a wrestler.

The technical mistake was giving Leon the time and space to set up the strike. It is nitpicking to also mention that he should have had his hands higher, but let's be honest, a body kick was unlikely to end his championship run, so the headkick was the threat that should have been a higher defensive priority.

I see a lot about this fight settles that Usman isn't the GOAT. He parried the left and moved his head to the outside. That's the right thing to do, the sound technical boxing move. Leon just caught him with a kick which is equally technically sound. In this game of chess, Usman made the correct move and Leon countered properly. IMO Usman wasn't sloppy, he just got kicked perfectly and got KO'd
That doesn't sound like a game of chess. Usually you have to wait your turn in Chess. These things all happened at the same time.

Nitpicky I know, but I hate how "chess match" is always being thrown out there to describe boring af fights. Not that this finish was boring at all..it was fkn epic!

Leon was in southpaw stance so the technically sound move wasn't to move toward the power leg IMO. Especially when Leon's only real chance to win was to land a head kick.

Next you will tell us Bisping circling toward Hendo's right hand was the technically sound move.

That doesn't sound like a game of chess. Usually you have to wait your turn in Chess. These things all happened at the same time.

Nitpicky I know, but I hate how "chess match" is always being thrown out there to describe boring af fights. Not that this finish was boring at all..it was fkn epic!
It sounds like you dont actually play chess. Chess is the perfect comparison to what happened. You make a move to force your opponent to make a move you can capitalize on. Sometimes many steps ahead of the opponent. You’re talking more like checkers than chess. You should watch the movie training day so denzel can explain it to you.

Is there a new rule against shooting? I would've thought I'd see a megathread by now.

Where is everybody getting this complete nonsense about there being some punch before the headkick? It was always just a headkick that he took full blown.

RelievedDelectableHoneycreeper-size_restricted.gif

Usman was stupidly standing still in kicking range with a minute left. That's on him. Stop coping about some phantom punch to excuse this mistake.

Moreover, regardless of the strike it's not the sound move at all as the sound move is to just move out of range or close the distance into it to prevent something like this. He instead stood flat footed and still which is it what caused him to take ANY strike coming full force.

Last edited:
Sound move in boxing isn't the sound move in Muay Thai. That's what all these schimucks telling fighters to work on their jabs and mocking mma boxing all miss. Boxing isn't everything.

Agreed, Usmans not sloppy at all just got caught not being pro active and who would blame him with 1 minute left. He does go to the well with his outside slips though, but thats nitpicking. When hes aggressive, throwing punches, hes way more safe.

Agree on perfect execution by Leon.

But Usman should have been expecting a kick, specifically a headkick due to the circumstances.

- Leon went southpaw. He primarily goes southpaw to kick.

70 seconds left
Usman clearly up on the cards
Leon needed a ko to win

Kickboxing a kickboxer at kicking range is a bad idea for a wrestler.

The technical mistake was giving Leon the time and space to set up the strike. It is nitpicking to also mention that he should have had his hands higher, but let's be honest, a body kick was unlikely to end his championship run, so the headkick was the threat that should have been a higher defensive priority.

I liked your post you make some valid points...like you said usman should've had his hands up higher, just before the leg kick landed by edwards you could clearly see usman had his hands way too low to even attempt to block the kick.

I hate to be the one to say this because I'm sure people will bash me. I'm glad usman lost because now he has no chance of ever matching or surpassing gsp as goat.

There's no way usman will complete 9 consecutive title defenses....he can come back and win the belt again and become a 2x ww champion which I would not be surprised if he does in a rematch against edwards. H

However the debate on usman vs gsp as goat welter weight is over.....like I've been saying from day one, it's going to be a long time before we see anyone match or surpass gsp's title defenses.

Even though usman was winning most of the rounds the fight isn't over until the final bell rings, doesn't even matter if your ass is getting kicked every round, all it takes is split seconds to make the wrong move or be too close at the wrong time and it's over.....gsp may not of been a finisher like usman but the fact he still could go 5 rounds practically every time he defended gives his opponent that much more time to do what edwards did....so to me that's what makes gsp more impressive, was it sheer luck he didn't get "caught" during his 2nd reign as ww champion or was he just that much more skilled? Condit landed a nice headkick on gsp not as deadly as edwards was on usman but still gsp fought through it after getting dropped and came back to still win.

Sound move in boxing isn't the sound move in Muay Thai. That's what all these schimucks telling fighters to work on their jabs and mocking mma boxing all miss. Boxing isn't everything.
Agree to an extent. The counter argument is Usman was winning the striking up till that point with solid boxing fundamentals.

He didn't tho, he bought a feint and reacted exactly like Leon wanted.

He was set up a complete victim who did the exact wrong thing and paid a massive price.

This was bound to happen people have talked about how much Marty fell in love with his hands since fight Colby and how it was only a matter of time before his gaps and weaknesses started showing. Technically Leon is above a sloppy street brawler like Jorge by a long way, and league above a bum striker like Colby...Marty should have stuck to his bread and butter even late.

Last edited:
Where is everybody getting this complete nonsense about there being some punch before the headkick? It was always a headkick that he stupidly took full blown.

RelievedDelectableHoneycreeper-size_restricted.gif

The guy absorbed a full blown headkick that anybody could've seen coming from the 4ft away Edwards was when he wound up for it. Stop coping about some phantom punch.

Moreover, regardless of strike it's not the sound move at all as the sound move is to just move out of range. He instead stood flat footed which is it what caused him to take ANY strike coming full force.
Look out the gif, was a fake to fake situation, he fakes with the right, to throw the "fake" left, and the "Invisible Marty" eats it without even bite it... and then he eats this perfect KO !

Back