Great vegan fighters

The Diaz bros. are/were pescatarians I believe. They may have toyed with a pure vegan diet very briefly, but ended up eating eggs and/or fish most of the time. Here's non-vegan Shields' diet:
Vegetarian StarJakes Shields Diet–The Breakfast, Lunch And Dinner Of A Vegetarian Champion

Eggs, yogurt and cottage cheese! That may be considered vegetarian, but relies heavily on animal protein and isn't vegan at all. Fitch tried a very plant-based approach and quickly dropped it after it hurt his performance.

So let's just stop with all this vegan propaganda already.
I was pescatarian for awhile as well. I did feel a bit weaker like I wasn't as strong physically but it did seem to help with cardio/conditioning/recovery. But I'm back to eating everything and my cardio/conditioning is better than it's ever been. So I don't know if I want to go back to a pescatarian diet, plus my power is better when I'm eating everything.

Maybe just cleaning up the diet closer to fight date. Like Crawford in boxing eats white meat only when he's getting ready for a fight. There was a lot of talk about Canelo's diet before Bivol fight and he was obviously gassed quicker in that fight than previous fights. He tried to switch to a mostly vegetarian diet during his fight camp.

I find it to be harder and more expensive to be vegeterian/vegan. Maybe if you have the money for a nutritionist and they can get all the food and cook you all the food to simplify the process it could work better that way.

Well, maybe I'm wrong if he got KOed by a random JMMA guy, but he did beat Joe Stephenson right, who challenged for the belt against BJ.

Did you just call Sakurai a "random JMMA" guy lmao?

O’Malley isn’t vegan anymore. He’s been off that for a while now.
Makes sense, he looks like he gained some muscle over the years, that's probably after he switched his diet. When he was super skinny and new to UFC was probably when he was vegan.

I'm a meat eater and I respect anyone who doesn't want to eat animals. Especially how some of the animals are treated when their slaughtered. NO one should be ok with that.

I guess if you could actually live a healthy life without eating animals then why do so is the question.
I think humans are programmed best with meat diet through evolution. Humans have been hunting and eating meat forever, it's how humans evolved over time with a meat diet. Vegan and vegetarian diets are just new things people are choosing to do. Yeah the whole process of animals getting slaughtered sucks, but that's what happens when it's industrialized and people aren't hunting and skinning/cutting up the meat themselves anymore. People are happy to buy their packaged cut up meat in the grocery store but most likely wouldn't be able to hunt, skin, and cut the animals up themselves if they had to.

I know people hate the idea of fake meat and lab grown meat. But I do think it'll be the future. There won't be a need for slaughter houses really and they can kill all the meat viruses. Once they get the whole technology and process and can get the pricing down to comparable meat prices, that's when it'll really start taking over. Lots of people are already investing heavily into it.

I was pescatarian for awhile as well. I did feel a bit weaker like I wasn't as strong physically but it did seem to help with cardio/conditioning/recovery. But I'm back to eating everything and my cardio/conditioning is better than it's ever been. So I don't know if I want to go back to a pescatarian diet, plus my power is better when I'm eating everything.

Maybe just cleaning up the diet closer to fight date. Like Crawford in boxing eats white meat only when he's getting ready for a fight. There was a lot of talk about Canelo's diet before Bivol fight and he was obviously gassed quicker in that fight than previous fights. He tried to switch to a mostly vegetarian diet during his fight camp.

I find it to be harder and more expensive to be vegeterian/vegan. Maybe if you have the money for a nutritionist and they can get all the food and cook you all the food to simplify the process it could work better that way.
Again, my take is people who "clean up" and eat more whole foods do better because of modern processed food they aren't eating. I just don't buy into "white meats" being healthier. There are actually some good arguments for ruminants (cattle, sheep, deer, etc.) being healthier than chicken, turkey or pork.

To be fair, I know people who've gone pure carnivore who have seen all kinds of problems disappear: inflammation, sleep apnea, skin problems, auto-immune disorders, etc. It may have more to do with ditching all processed foods than anything else.

Im on the carnivore diet and I slowly added Potato’s back into it. As soon as I had any junk food, I had felt horrible and had skin inflammation. I’d say junk food is primarily the problem.

Reactions: mkt
Obviously you have the Diaz brothers, Shields put together some solid wins, O'Malley plus that guy from TUF who made the documentary (even Rogan agreed with him). It would probably be beneficial in the post COVID-19 era for health reasons. Might lose some power but would definitely gain longevity and cardio.
Mac Danzig was the OG

I'm a meat eater and I respect anyone who doesn't want to eat animals. Especially how some of the animals are treated when their slaughtered. NO one should be ok with that.

I guess if you could actually live a healthy life without eating animals then why do so is the question.
Arguably more animals get killed with all the mass, industrialized farming it takes to grow crops for the world to eat, though.

Maybe we should change this to "Average Vegan Fighters"? There are at least a couple. Danzig and James Wilks, who retired after 11 fights. Maybe veganism didn't give him that "Game Changing" longevity after all. (He was in a questionable documentary on plant-based athletes called "Game Changers.")

Wilks wasn't anything special in MMA but got on the Rich Roll podcast and other media because he was, you know, vegan!

Obviously you have the Diaz brothers, Shields put together some solid wins, O'Malley plus that guy from TUF who made the documentary (even Rogan agreed with him). It would probably be beneficial in the post COVID-19 era for health reasons. Might lose some power but would definitely gain longevity and cardio.

Omg...

Do your research there not vegan...

Reactions: mkt
Back