I’d like to see Chael Sonnen replace Jon Anik

Why? Anik is actually good at his job, calling the action. If someone needs replacing its that useless lump Brendan Frasier.

GettyImages-825423334.jpg

Chael could never be trusted not to go off-script - he'd make a fun colour commentator though.

Being anchor is pretty similar to a late night poker tv host - you constantly have to hit certain markers for advertising, and constantly have someone in your earpiece screaming links at you, whilst keeping track of the action... Takes years to get used to. Its a pro job.

Last edited:
Chael is an entertaining clown but his MMA analyst work is clickbait in human form, he'll always give the take that gets the most reactions out of people regardless of accuracy. Didn't ESPN drop him before that hotel incident even happened? I don't think they were happy with his work.

No on Chael as commentator. I like him at the desk.
I do miss Goldie and Rogan.
What's wrong with Fitzgerald? I like him better than Anik. Anik is too manic....
I like the British guy when the UFC goes over the pond.

I actually disliked Anik when he was newer, but he kinda grew on me. He's still a little bit robotic, but he is very professional and knows his place/doesn't say too much stupid stuff.

One thing that always bothered me a bit about UFC commentary is how they can't create tension when something crazy happens in the cage, like when a fighter is about to finish the other guy. When you watch some Boxing classics, the commentators would often go crazy, adding to the tension. No UFC commentary team has figured out to do this yet.

I actually disliked Anik when he was newer, but he kinda grew on me. He's still a little bit robotic, but he is very professional and knows his place/doesn't say too much stupid stuff.

One thing that always bothered me a bit about UFC commentary is how they can't create tension when something crazy happens in the cage, like when a fighter is about to finish the other guy. When you watch some Boxing classics, the commentators would often go crazy, adding to the tension. No UFC commentary team has figured out to do this yet.
Great points, the commentators in boxing know when the fight is about to end or the start of finishing the fight. They catch the details that leads up to the finish and start getting excited early while in UFC they tend to react after instead.

Back