Media Kamaru Usman thinks that...........

Most of the UK is white, but he does realize Edwards is black too?

he will have more fans in England than Leon Edwards.

“Now you’re in their country, which honestly, I think imma have more fans his country than he will,”

“That’s no knock on Leon. I like Leon; I really do. Half of England is Africa. There’s a lot of Nigerians in England, a lot of Nigerians. He knows there’s a lot of Nigerians and Jamaicans. But I think I will be well represented in England.”

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2022/9/...media-kamaru-usman-leon-edwards-uk-fans-fight

Can somebody who lives in UK confirm his statement? Or was Usman just trying to match Adesanya's level of cringe?
<36>

Potentially the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life. Black people of any ethnic background only make up about 3% of the country and I'd be willing to bet there's more here with a Caribbean background than a Nigerian one.

Plus, the other 97% of the country would be cheering for Leon too lol

“Now you’re in their country, which honestly, I think imma have more fans his country than he will,”

“That’s no knock on Leon. I like Leon; I really do. Half of England is Africa. There’s a lot of Nigerians in England, a lot of Nigerians. He knows there’s a lot of Nigerians and Jamaicans. But I think I will be well represented in England.”

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2022/9/...media-kamaru-usman-leon-edwards-uk-fans-fight

Can somebody who lives in UK confirm his statement? Or was Usman just trying to match Adesanya's level of cringe?
<36>

lol at all of that. He’s fuckin delusional

He has no fans over here. And the many British MMA fans with Nigerian or Jamaican heritage will generally all support Edwards, their fellow countryman. If the fight is gonna be over here, he needs to be aware that no ones gonna support him, and he’s gonna get booed!

He's just rustling jimdogs. I mean of course if he believes this. It's pretty delusional and oh well. Whatever you have to tell yourself to get up in the morning to train and face the pain. Face the pain.

<36>

Usman being delusional/completely ignorant here.
Of lots of issues with what he said, here´s my top 2 after having lived there for years:
1) British MMA fans (i.e., the masses) are STUPID PATRIOTIC. They´re going to drunkenly, raucously roar for whoever is under the Union Jack. That´s about as deep as their nationalist though process goes.
2) LOL, not NEARLY that many Nigerians, and even fewer Jamaicans in the UK. as of 2021, 178,000 Nigerians. . . out of 67 *million* or so people. . . .and I wonder how many of them are MMA fans . . .

I've just conducted a quick poll of the country and found it to be 50-50 on who people care about the least. We only like loudmouths from Ireland, Liverpool and Manchester. Brash and arrogant Americans are not well liked and so definitely see him as the lesser choice here. I am not Nigerian but I feel quite confident that people here aren't cheering Usman just because his parents used to live there. Sounds like a "plastic paddy" American trying to fit in in a bar in Dublin because their family moved from Cork 5 generations ago "d'yall know paddy Murphy?"

I am pretty sure England isn't half African. I will bet there are more white people from different parts of Europe than Africans.

I think it would be close. A lot of Europeans have gone back to their home countries since brexit

Usman is underestimating how many bandwagoners discovered Leon after that kick. I was astonished, all these “longtime” Leon fans came out of the woodwork after the Hail Mary.

The only chance Kamaru ends up with more fans over here than Leon is if we mistake him for Derek from Big Brother..

Usman brought up how many people from Nigeria live in UK, how big of an immigrant population there is. I don't think it's delusional to think the UK is pretty diverse today, also not to mention that Usman is a bigger name than Leon because of how established he is.

I don't know about all that, but I do know once the cage door closes the fans become irrelevant, they aren't gonna help you in there.

Yeah.. nah. Sincerely doubt he has many fans outside parts of the U.S.

<36>

I think it is the wrong assessment, but I guess we will see.....

but I do think he did not mean to taunt or bash Leon with that statement.

he was simply probably well received in UK when he visited and thinks it might translate to people rooting for him over Leon.

Back