Law Biden Pardons All Federal Offenses For Marijuana Possession

No, those are arguments for changing the legislation. They are not arguments for a presidential pardon. A presidential pardon is -in practice- something you get for good behaviour, not because the president does not like the penalty scale or there's a purported majority in favor of it. And - being the judicial deus ex machina nuclear bomb that it is - a serious office holder would only excercise that power in exceptional circumstances, not because he wants to trend on twitter prior to the midterm elections.
Finally, since the pardon is only for people sentenced to home confinement, prison overpopulation or rehablitation does not even factor into it. So don't bring it up again itt.

For god's sake, a presidential pardon isn't even a legislative change. People can still be jailed for possession. You think maybe you'd want to start there, instead of invalidating the entire judicial system up to and including October 6? Or rather, the judicial system on a federal level - the pardon doesn't even apply to convictions under state law, which is how I assume the majority of Americans are tried for marijuana felonies. Like, do you people understand just what a stupid, ass-backwards nothingburger this is?

https://www.justice.gov/pardon/frequently-asked-questions#:~:text=A pardon is an expression,It does not signify innocence.

https://www.justice.gov/pardon/presidential-proclamation-marijuana-possession

https://constitution.congress.gov/browse/essay/artII-S2-C1-3-1/ALDE_00013316/

No, they are arguments for pardoning existing convictions.
The majority of the population feels it shouldn't have been a crime in the first place, that the convictions were an injustice, and that individuals having those convictions on their criminal record is perpetuating that injustice.
Being incarcerated and having a permanent record for marijuana possession is part of the failure to rehabilitate through their justice system, and thus pardoning the convictions (sadly the convictions aren't expunged) will, although marginally, address that. Biden specifically addressed this with his statement about how it has been, “needless barriers to employment, housing, and educational opportunities”.
The pardon is the first step in the political process of attempting to get federal and state laws to reflect the changes in public opinion and the failure of the war on drugs. Reducing the prison population would certainly be more a product of ongoing reform of state laws, but again Biden has explicitly stated that this is adding federal support for extending that reform, “Just as no one should be in a federal prison solely due to the possession of marijuana, no one should be in a local jail or state prison for that reason, either”.
You might not agree with his arguments, but they are arguments nonetheless.

You don’t really get to define what a pardon is for. There is no “in practice”.

Of course there is. See the link I posted. Here's how the United States Department of Juctice defines it.

A pardon is an expression of the President’s forgiveness and ordinarily is granted in recognition of the applicant’s acceptance of responsibility for the crime and established good conduct for a significant period of time after conviction or completion of sentence. It does not signify innocence.

Thank's for playing though.

Of course there is. See the link I posted. Here's how the United States Department of Juctice defines it.

Thank's for playing though.
The president has complete discretion on the use of pardon’s. Again, “ordinarily” does not limit the scope of authority. He can pardon for any reason (within the limits of his authority).

The majority of the population feels it shouldn't have been a crime in the first place,

Purportedly.

Being incarcerated and having a permanent record for marijuana possession is part of the failure to rehabilitate through their justice system, and thus removing the convictions will, although marginally, address that. Biden specifically addressed that with his statement about how it has been a, “needless barriers to employment, housing, and educational opportunities”.

Oh, ok. I thought "rehabilitate" means coming out the other end a better man, capable of abiding by the law. Which you obviously weren't capable of, going in.
Now if Biden has issues with a permanent record being a thing, he should change how permanent records work. Not plotting a wide course around the actual issue to avoid it.

The pardon is the first step in the political process of attempting to get federal and state laws to reflect the changes in public opinion and the failure of the war on drugs.

No it fucking isn't. The first step is where congress and the federal and state legislative assemblies changes the law. There is no step before that. You want to change the law on reefer, have congress pass a bill.
This is just a senile fossil trying -impotently- to grandstand. And essentially undermining how changes in legislation is actually supposed to come about.

Reducing the prison population

Just admit you were wrong.

Purportedly.
To the extent that public opinions can be gauged, it's been universally recognised. There's noone disputing that public opinion has shifted over the last few decades.

Oh, ok. I though "rehabilitate" means coming out the other end a better man, capable of abiding by the law. Which you obviously weren't capable of, going in.
Now if Biden has issues with a permanent record being a thing, he should change how permanent records work. Not plotting a wide course around the actual issue to avoid it.
The US has to set more achievable goals. Like not incarcerating people for simple marijuana posession and having them come out unemployable, hardened criminals.
Sadly the pardon won't expunge their records, but it should stop doors from being automatically closed simply because of a conviction for marijuana posession.

No it fucking isn't. The first step is where the federal and state legislative assemblies changes the law. There is no step before that.
This is just an impotent fossil trying -impotently- to grandstand. And essentially undermining how changes in legislation is actually supposed to come about.
"How changes in legislation is actually supposed to come about"...? That's laughable.
The bill (MORE Act) for Federal decriminalisation (which includes provisions for expunging past convictions) has been passed by the House (for the second time) and now needs to be passed by the Senate.
This is precisely how political change happens anywhere. It's always a matter of raising the profile of the issue, building public awareness and political support for reform, and political actions such as this pardon which add to the momentum.
He's precisely NOT sidestepping the role that congress would have to play in federal decriminalistion and descheduling, he's supporting the bill with exposure and precedent of this pardon (nor is he the first. He called for state governors to do the same, but at least two actually beat him to it). Biden's also started the process of rescheduling, although I'm not sure what that would amount to if the Republicans and Democrats can't enact either the Democrat proposed MORE Act or the Repubican proposed States Reform Act.

Just admit you were wrong.

Why would I do that? You're the one arguing that it's wrong to pardon people for marijuana possession.
I admit I didn't know there was currently noone in prison for federal charges, but that doesn't change the fact that I support attempts to reform the laws and reduce ridiculous over incarceration in the US.

this is the right thing to do and they did it. Are you claiming this needed to be the top of priorities when it comes to passing bills and they should have had this as the first thing on their docket when Biden took office?

where is the lack of integrity? You’re being vague.
What do you think should be a higher priority; a proposal such as this, or putting chicks with dicks in women's prisons? If we're discussing priorities and all.

For fucks sake.

CHANGING THE LEGISLATION would prevent civilians from being jailed for "minor offenses". A PRESIDENTIAL PARDON does not. Are you wilfully failing to get the point?

you didn’t read the source in the first post so that’s why you’re confused and triggered.

Biden straight up calls for state governors to release folks who are serving time for weed in their states and prevent them for doing more time of it.

“Second: I’m calling on governors to pardon simple state marijuana possession offenses. Just as no one should be in a federal prison solely for possessing marijuana, no one should be in a local jail or state prison for that reason, either.”

Is there any thread topic you guys won’t bring up trans folks in? Is it really always on your minds this much?
Huh?

You brought up the topic of what Biden should have prioritized. And instead of putting drug law reform at the top of the docket he opted for something much more contentious. So what you're implying - that this is being proposed now is due to time management doesn't seem to be the case. It's clearly strategy.

Better late than never, and kudos for the step in the right direction, but let's not pretend this is anything other than political maneuvering.

Huh?

You brought up the topic of what Biden should have prioritized. And instead of putting drug law reform at the top of the docket he opted for something much more contentious. So what you're implying - that this is being proposed now is due to time management doesn't seem to be the case. It's clearly strategy.

Better late than never, and kudos for the step in the right direction, but let's not pretend this is anything other than political maneuvering.

maybe he had the juice to get one through before working on the other. You have no evidence that this was maneuvering besides it happened in a very vague window of time.

The notion any executive action within months of midterms is all BS strictly for votes is pretty dumb. By this logic anything any politician does with-in six months of any election is all nefarious just because someone thinks it could be.

There was 14% of the population who did not support that bill.
Not sure if you're serious but if so I was referring to the government both parties were in full support

Well that was about time. Great job by Biden

Ploy or not it's a net good. And how do you pressure a party that you have no control over and that has been actively uncooperative?

Funny how you put the onus for republican legislators blocking legalization on a democratic president.
Are you just ignorant of how the US system works or do you just have blind partisanship?

You seem unaware that multiple bills have been introduced in recent sessions, with the GOP consistently blocking them
Any time there's a popular policy that even the GOP base supports but gets obstructed by the GOP itself, that is the ploy they go for. They'll blame Dems for not doing enough to resist the very politicians they support, its like being against the Russian invasion but blaming Ukraine for not pushing back Russian forces fast enough. They're entirely committed to negative partisanship so even if Dems pass policies they support they have to somehow spin it as a bad thing.

maybe he had the juice to get one through before working on the other. You have no evidence that this was maneuvering besides it happened in a very vague window of time.

The notion any executive action within months of midterms is all BS strictly for votes is pretty dumb. By this logic anything any politician does with-in six months of any election is all nefarious just because someone thinks it could be.
Its very possible that its maneuvering on some level but so what? Of course Biden can't do everything on day one, things have to be rolled out one after the other and politicians have to pick their battles and compromise here and there. Seems like they'll nitpick anything a Dem president does even if they agree with it.

Lol rogan
EmG9DJiXUAMnMHE

The guy I get my weed from is head of moving all the food and supplies for a restaurant chain with over 500 restaurants all over the Southeast.
Makes sense now when he told me not to wear Red when we play golf.
Thanks for the tip, next time we play golf I will look for gang tats.

Missed the point. How many incarcerated "low level sellers" are gang members?

The president has complete discretion on the use of pardon’s. Again, “ordinarily” does not limit the scope of authority. He can pardon for any reason (within the limits of his authority).
Every new president gets a thread about how terrible it is that they pardoned someone. Fucking amnesiacs

Back