Media Yan vs O'Malley scorecards

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
FfsxXHYXoAA7jea

I'm wondering why the judges hate Yan so much. It's a second robbery in a row. The man has 3 losses via SD, all of them complete BS.

Last edited:
I have rewatched the fight and the supposed 40-15 sig strike difference in rd3 is a farce.

O’Malley landed the knee that cut Yan, the high kick and two straights which Yan was moving with, head tucked. The rest of his strikes were feeler jabs or other straights landing on Yan’s guard plus some weak low kicks.

Yan is actually the one who landed more noteworthy strikes; hard body kicks, low kicks that actually made O’Malley’s leg buckle and flush counter hooks that O’Malley did not see and caused his head to snap back - you know: the kind of shots that the scoring criteria assures us wins rounds.

…and in addition to this, he had just under 2 mins of control time. The fight actually ended with Yan taking a tired O’Malley down and landing a couple of good shots on the ground.

I encourage anyone who thought that rd3 was an easy one to score for O’Malley to watch it again and make their own sig strike count. The shot tickers at fightmetric completely fucked this one up.

I have rewatched the fight and the supposed 40-15 sig strike difference in rd3 is a farce.

O’Malley landed the knee that cut Yan, the high kick and two straights which Yan was moving with, head tucked. The rest of his strikes were feeler jabs or other straights landing on Yan’s guard plus some weak low kicks.

Yan is actually the one who landed more noteworthy strikes; hard body kicks, low kicks that actually made O’Malley’s leg buckle and flush counter hooks that O’Malley did not see and caused his head to snap back - you know: the kind of shots that the scoring criteria assures us wins rounds.

…and in addition to this, he had just under 2 mins of control time. The fight actually ended with Yan taking a tired O’Malley down and landing a couple of good shots on the ground.

I encourage anyone who thought that rd3 was an easy one to score for O’Malley to watch it again and make their own sig strike count. The shot tickers at fightmetric completely fucked this one up.

Exactly.
This one was real bad.
While striking was pretty even overall, Yan landed a lot of takedowns, gnp and had a control time of about 6 minutes.
Total robbery.
Reminds me of Karelin robbery.
BS politicial move by UFC

I don't see how Yan loses the first round.
They were both trading modest leg kicks
Yan had a takedown where nothing of consequence was achieved and he was stood up and reversed on the cage within a few seconds
O'Malley's boxing was not landing a lot but was more effective, and he advanced position to back control (briefly) in the scramble at the end. Everything was pretty even.. O'Malley did better I'm the grappling exchanges in that round.. close but not controversial (rd1 only)

Exactly.
This one was real bad.
While striking was pretty even overall, Yan landed a lot of takedowns, gnp and had a control time of about 6 minutes.
Total robbery.
Reminds me of Karelin robbery.
BS politicial move by UFC
His gnp was very weak. O'malley landed more meaningful shots and had Yan almost out two times. Mohammed vs Brady was stopped for far less.

Yan spent too much time being inactive in the 1st and first 2 minutes of last round. Especially in the first O didn't land much power but Yan could have done more.
Too bad it wasn't 5 rounds, would have been interesting, O seemed a bit tired getting up at the end of the fight.

His gnp was very weak. O'malley landed more meaningful shots and had Yan almost out two times. Mohammed vs Brady was stopped for far less.
This is not really a meaningful comparison, because Brady was stopped for eating multiple punches without really defending them or throwing back. Yan was in the fight the whole time.

I agree with you though that Yan did almost nothing with his takedowns.

Lol every time they go to Abu Dhabi all kinds of shady shit happen...

I remember the weigh in controversy from the Khabib vs Gaethje fight. But what other shady shit has gone down in Abu Dhabi?

I am so confused by the backlash of this fight.

As soon as the fight ended, I looked over to my buddy and said "I have it rds 1+3 Sean, but this will be a 2-1 split for Yan". Ended up being a 2-1 split for Sean. Could have gone either way and would have been perfectly fine. People just love to call anything they disagree with a robbery.

One thing I don't think is being mentioned enough is that BOTH guys I think ended the fight looking good. Everyone is talking about this being Sean's statement fight, but the reality is that Sean is an absolute nightmare matchup stylistically for Yan. The fact that Yan made it so close and took Sean to deep waters is a testament to how damn good we all knew Yan is.

Round 1 is the only round close enough to be questioned imo.
Rd 2 - Yan's easily but not 10/8
Rd 3 - Yan got 2 TD's but didn't do anything with it. meanwhile he got outstruck & got a major laceration & was bleeding all over the octogon... which is the highest of judging criteria. No way Yan getting 2 TD's equates the damage he took.

People see Yan pushing the action in the center of the octogon & putting O'Malley on defense with his TD attempts & then laying in O'Malley's guard when he got the TD... & feel like Yan was the aggressor. Okay, fair enough, but you only get credit for aggression... if "all striking & grappling are indistinguishable."

Every sofa-judge... (& even some of the actual judges...) need to really wrap their heads around how "lay & pray" is scored. Unless you advance position, threaten with a submission, or land strikes from the top, your only credit for the whole time you went for the TD & then just layed there... is for the TD only.

"holding the center" of the octogon scores 0... Holding someone against the fence, and/or "attempting" a TD that puts your opponent on defense scores 0. Laying & praying scores 0.

The TD itself is a significant & proper credit... but O'Malley boxed up Yan in the 1st & landed the heavier strikes... & even did a sweet shot that took Yan to his knees where O'Malley circled to Yan's back. So this was very far from a robbery.

Basically this whole subject is about whether or not Yan's TD in Rd 1 caught him up to being outstruck by O'Malley. I say no.

Last edited:
Round 1 is the only round close enough to be questioned imo.
Rd 2 - Yan's easily but not 10/8
Rd 3 - Yan got 2 TD's but didn't do anything with it. meanwhile he got outstruck & got a major laceration & was bleeding all over the octogon... which is the highest of judging criteria. No way Yan getting 2 TD's equates the damage he took.

People see Yan pushing the action in the center of the octogon & putting O'Malley on defense with his TD attempts & then laying in O'Malley's guard when he got the TD... & feel like Yan was the aggressor. Okay, fair enough, but you only get credit for aggression... if "all striking & grappling are indistinguishable."

Every sofa-judge... (& even some of the actual judges...) need to really wrap their heads around how "lay & pray" is scored. Unless you advance position, threaten with a submission, or land strikes from the top, your only credit for the whole time you went for the TD & then just layed there... is for the TD only.

"holding the center" of the octogon scores 0... Holding someone against the fence, and/or "attempting" a TD that puts your opponent on defense scores 0. Laying & praying scores 0.

The TD itself is a significant & proper credit... but O'Malley boxed up Yan in the 1st & landed the heavier strikes... & even did a sweet shot that took Yan to his knees where O'Malley circled to Yan's back. So this was very far from a robbery.

Basically this whole subject is about whether or not Yan's TD caught him up to being outstruck by O'Malley. I say no.

Completely agree, this is what I saw live and what I saw on rewatch.

To be fair I think the only clear cut round was 2 for Yan.

1 and 3 could have gone either way.

round 3 significant strikes: O’Malley - 40 Yan - 15

Yan was rocked in that round and stumbling around bleeding. He did get a takedown but did nothing and Sean stood back up. Round 3 was clear for Sean. Round 1 is in question. Sean landed more significant strikes and Yan had takedowns. Depends what you value more. Not a robbery. A close war.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bucklad
Back