Media Yan vs O'Malley scorecards

Round 1 is the only round close enough to be questioned imo.
Rd 2 - Yan's easily but not 10/8
Rd 3 - Yan got 2 TD's but didn't do anything with it. meanwhile he got outstruck & got a major laceration & was bleeding all over the octogon... which is the highest of judging criteria. No way Yan getting 2 TD's equates the damage he took.

People see Yan pushing the action in the center of the octogon & putting O'Malley on defense with his TD attempts & then laying in O'Malley's guard when he got the TD... & feel like Yan was the aggressor. Okay, fair enough, but you only get credit for aggression... if "all striking & grappling are indistinguishable."

Every sofa-judge... (& even some of the actual judges...) need to really wrap their heads around how "lay & pray" is scored. Unless you advance position, threaten with a submission, or land strikes from the top, your only credit for the whole time you went for the TD & then just layed there... is for the TD only.

"holding the center" of the octogon scores 0... Holding someone against the fence, and/or "attempting" a TD that puts your opponent on defense scores 0. Laying & praying scores 0.

The TD itself is a significant & proper credit... but O'Malley boxed up Yan in the 1st & landed the heavier strikes... & even did a sweet shot that took Yan to his knees where O'Malley circled to Yan's back. So this was very far from a robbery.

Basically this whole subject is about whether or not Yan's TD caught him up to being outstruck by O'Malley. I say no.

to me Sean clearly won the 3rd round. 40-15 in significant strikes says it all.

round 3 significant strikes: O’Malley - 40 Yan - 15

Yan was rocked in that round and stumbling around bleeding. He did get a takedown but did nothing and Sean stood back up. Round 3 was clear for Sean. Round 1 is in question. Sean landed more significant strikes and Yan had takedowns. Depends what you value more. Not a robbery. A close war.
Yeah that was my immediate reaction straight after the fight. After a rewatch and further reflection I don't see how round 3 can be scored for Yan.

Only round that can be debated is round 1.

Round 2 is clear for Yan and 3 is clear for O'Malley.

All depends on how you scored the first.

I had the same result personally as the two judges. I don't care about fighting over close decisions like others here. I was surprised the judges saw it like I did.

I thought sean would pull out of the fight. Then i thought he was going to get finished early.

yan was almost panic wrestling in there and did nothing with the takedowns. I think he should have won but it was close enough to where I’m not gonna cry about it like most here are.

Yan was fucked over hard int that fight....I rewatched it and the fight stats are wrong as well...a majority of Seans strikes were blocked but for some reason counted?? I even slowed it down to ensure I wasnt missing anything in round 1 and its fucked up because I could only reach half of the sig strikes recorded for Sean. Yan won round 1, round 3 was the same thing out of the supposed 40 sig strikes Sean landed AI only counted 21...many were blocked or didnt even land and Yan had the TD's and control for most of the fight same deal win rounds 1 and 2 he controlled the cage far more than Sean did.

This fight really pissed me off and if you honestly try and claim its not a robbery or that Sean won you are a troll or a complete moron...every single media score I found had it for Yan, I turned the fucking PPV off after this and I am like done watching UFC for some time as that was as fixed of an outcome as I have ever seen...literally one of the worst decisions to ever occur in the cage. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot...just go back and watch the fight and you will find the same as I did....fight was fucking fixed.

Last edited:
Exactly.
This one was real bad.
While striking was pretty even overall, Yan landed a lot of takedowns, gnp and had a control time of about 6 minutes.
Total robbery.
Reminds me of Karelin robbery.
BS politicial move by UFC

84-58 significant strikes total in favor of Sean. That is not even lol.

It's amazing watching people start rewriting history lol

Now in round 3 Yan got smashed on the feet and all he did was panic wrestle... I bet most dudes saying this would've said Yan won immediately following the end of the round

Yan was fucked over hard int that fight....I rewatched it and the fight stats are wrong as well...a majority of Seans strikes were blocked but for some reason counted?? I even slowed it down to ensure I wasnt missing anything in round 1 and its fucked up because I could only reach half of the sig strikes recorded for Sean. Yan won round 1, round 3 was the same thing out of the supposed 40 sig strikes Sean landed AI only counted 21...many were blocked or didnt even land and Yan had the TD'd and control for most of the fight same deal win rounds 1 and 1 he controlled the cage far more than Sean did.

This fight really pissed me off and if you honestly try and claim its not a robbery or that Sean won you are a troll or a complete moron...every single media score I found had it for Yan, I turned the fucking PPV off after this and I am like done watching UFC for some time as that was as fixed of an outcome as I have ever seen...literally one of the worst decisions to ever occur in the cage. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot...just go back and watch the fight and you will find the same as I did....fight was fucking fixed.

lmaoooooooooooo

It's amazing watching people start rewriting history lol

Now in round 3 Yan got smashed on the feet and all he did was panic wrestle... I bet most dudes saying this would've said Yan won immediately following the end of the round

Yan was outstruck 40-15 in round 3, my dude lol

People were saying this before the fight even happened that Yan could lose a close decision. He's honestly not very good conveying to the judges he's winning. I think he's a badass fighter, but he's not very good at decisions. His style is better for finishes.

Uck this sport is so annoying sometimes

MMA stats are a joke... yet half the people on here will parrot them like they're the end all be all

Actually watch the fight without the stats in mind and score it that way... there's a reason all the media scores were for Yan

Yan was outstruck 40-15 in round 3, my dude lol
I have rewatched the fight and the supposed 40-15 sig strike difference in rd3 is a farce.

O’Malley landed the knee that cut Yan, the high kick and two straights which Yan was moving with, head tucked. The rest of his strikes were feeler jabs or other straights landing on Yan’s guard plus some weak low kicks.

Yan is actually the one who landed more noteworthy strikes; hard body kicks, low kicks that actually made O’Malley’s leg buckle and flush counter hooks that O’Malley did not see and caused his head to snap back - you know: the kind of shots that the scoring criteria assures us wins rounds.

…and in addition to this, he had just under 2 mins of control time. The fight actually ended with Yan taking a tired O’Malley down and landing a couple of good shots on the ground.

I encourage anyone who thought that rd3 was an easy one to score for O’Malley to watch it again and make their own sig strike count. The shot tickers at fightmetric completely fucked this one up.

I agree 1 and 3 was a toss up and could have gone either way. Round 2 was difinitely for Yan. This find was close and could have gone either way.

I agree Rd 3 was very handily O'Malley's... but I just wanted to make a comment about "Significant Strikes" being mentioned as "saying it all."

They're calculated cage side by someone with a set of buttons they push as they see anything that landed. So for example, in a diaz fight, he will rack up 2 dozen pitty pat punches from in the clinch that are counted as "significant strikes."

Many times... I literally watched entire rounds in slow motion while pausing & rewinding & taking notes in order to determine who I feel won a round. The official "significant strike" count has never even been close in regards to what I would consider "significant" strikes.

In Rd 3 of this fight, I think it's obvious O'Malley won, but I didn't notice a landslide in striking such as that "for entertainment only" Significant Strike count would suggest. It's just something to keep in mind. I'd much rather hear someone tell me what they saw... rather than quote significant strike count.

Last edited:
Yan was fucked over hard int that fight....I rewatched it and the fight stats are wrong as well...a majority of Seans strikes were blocked but for some reason counted?? I even slowed it down to ensure I wasnt missing anything in round 1 and its fucked up because I could only reach half of the sig strikes recorded for Sean. Yan won round 1, round 3 was the same thing out of the supposed 40 sig strikes Sean landed AI only counted 21...many were blocked or didnt even land and Yan had the TD'd and control for most of the fight same deal win rounds 1 and 1 he controlled the cage far more than Sean did.

The guys saying this don't watch/rewatch fights

They read stats and parrot other's narratives

Now they are in full trolling "u mad bro" mode even though if you sat them down immediately following the fight they would've had it for Yan lol

84-58 significant strikes total in favor of Sean. That is not even lol.
They are not correct go rewatch the fight, if any round went to Sean its the 3rd...simple due to the cut and having Yan backpeddle for a minute. But those stats are fucking fixed as well...I challenge you to go rewatch he didnt even come close to 40 landed so many missed. Fight was fixed go jerk off instead of trolling people that are upset at the corrupt verdict. Not a single media outlet or fighter that watched the fight scored it for omalley.

round 3 significant strikes: O’Malley - 40 Yan - 15

Yan was rocked in that round and stumbling around bleeding. He did get a takedown but did nothing and Sean stood back up. Round 3 was clear for Sean. Round 1 is in question. Sean landed more significant strikes and Yan had takedowns. Depends what you value more. Not a robbery. A close war.
Fuck off with your incorrect fight stats, go learn to watch the round over and count or is that to fucking hard for you troll? Every media outlet, every fighter..scored it for Yan...you are a dipshit...report that.

Back