Social Boston Bruins rescind offer on 18 year old for racist behavior at 14

Should Mitchell be held accountable and out of the NHL for actions at 14?

• No, he can change

• No, if he has proved he changed

• Yes, fuck him

Results are only viewable after voting.
That's not apparent to me at all.

Article #2 isn't available in my country. Is there something in it about Mitchell screaming "drink my pee n****r"? Because I can't find anything like that in article #1.
Seems like a rather normal prank for jr. high age boys, nobody was even hurt.

I guess the lesson is: stick to your own race when socializing as a young person otherwise you'll be labeled a racist later, because male "socialization" isn't always sunshine and rainbows.
Giving a kid a sweet that was placed in a urinal is not mere pranks. It is disgusting and should have brought crimminal charged. Harassiing the Black (mentally challenged) kid for a long time is not a prank, it is abuse and harassement.

If every male pro-athlete was held up to the same standards of being a dickhead at 14, there would be no pro-sports. Every jock I ever knew growing up, had a little bit of aggressive fuckwad in them. Little bit of racism here, sexism there, bullying there...

I'm sure he was a cunt. At 14 though? You have to let people grow. I guarantee that a lot of the same people in that sphere speaking out against him now, were reprehensible cunts all the same at his age. It goes with the territory. They were just lucky not to have grown up in this era, and have their lives under the same microscope.

The sad reality is that most of the players in the NHL were likely just as bad if not worse than Mitchell. I am sure I am not the only one who went to school and saw the athletes in school being out-of-control assholes and getting away with it. Professional athletes are not known for their high moral character. Far too many of them are scumbags.

Nah, there's a big difference between 14 and 20. There's plenty of career criminals who get their start car jacking & robbing at that age or earlier and let off with a slap on the wrist.

Look at that POS Evander Kane, he's still in the NHL.

No I don't condone harassing a handicapped kid, it's one of the worst things I could think of doing.

He should've been charged for what he and the other kid did, cause that is downright revolting and could have caused the victim to get sick. 14 is old enough to know.. NHL is right to rescind the offer.

Article 1 does not say what was racial. Article 2 says the mother said it was racial but there is no elaboration.
It says he was convicted. So i think he was charged. I could be wrong though.

Was Karl Malone a bad person? I remember him being a good player and decent person.

This hockey asswipe should have learned to play football, he would have been fine and had no issues.
He got a 13 year old pregnant when he was 20.

I voted for no if he can prove he's changed but it doesn't sound like he has so fuck him.

I’d vote for giving him a chance to prove he can act right as an adult, but if he fucks up again then off with his head.

There’s a reason juvenile records are sealed, it’s because the majority of adolescent males are crazy, and to judge us as adults by our darkest moments from our childhoods would be unfair.

It will take much more maturity than one is capable of at age 18 to fully grasp the gravity of what he did back in middle school, and when that guilt finally does set in , it will haunt him.

If we were all judged by stuff we did at 14 I think we'd be precluded from tons of jobs.

however becoming a well paid professional athlete and face of an organization is a unique privilege that requires strict vetting.

fuck him

I think it’s pathetic and sad that the victims family is still holding onto the spot light every chance they get and refusing to let this go. He bullied your son at 14 and served his time (literally) for it. Not only that but it’s totally destroyed his reputation and any chance of not being universally hated. It may have even destroyed his career as he lost his scholarship and now this contract.

... and yet, the mother still demands to be consulted about everything and is on another media tour.

get over it lady. What happened sucked but he served his time and it was when he was 14. Move on. It’s unhealthy to dwell on stuff like that.

The victims mother has made a concerted effort to make sure everyone knows what happened in the media.

I find the mother’s account hard to believe, this kid with fetal acohol syndrome was brutally bullied for years and years…..and no one did anything? Not sure how that can happen. If it did happen than the adults in charge are 1,000,000 times more of a problem than one pos bully.
The local athlete (especially if they seem like they will go to the big show) usually gets a lot of leeway.

I dunno, 14 is pretty fucking young. I’d like to think people change.

@BIKES! , the article says he's 20 now but the OP says 18

Sounds like he was already punished for the incident (that happened in the 8th grade) and has kept his nose clean for 6 to 7 years. I'm not in favor of cancel culture.
I don’t know. His testimony to admittedly wiping a lollipop in the urinal while making a Handicapped kid eat it while chanting the N word is pretty horrific. The kid had to have multiple tests for hepatitis and other diseases.

Sure there is a double standard that needs to be fixed but that is some evil shit.

This kid was a special case if you read the details of what he did. No normal 14 does this, evil heinous acts by someone who probably scores high on psychopathy. Playing in the nhl is a privilege and not a right, they made the right Choice. If this bullied boy was my child, there’s no way I would forgive Mitchell even if he apologized, which I’m not surprised he lied about his improvement. Also, hockey has massive problems with racism, sexual abuse and bullying all the down to the peewee level and it’s clear a lot needs to change

Last edited:
He was a bully and an asshole. Is he still a bully and an asshole? Is his current behavior criminal or problematic?

If he's still that same asshole then I'm okay with him not being hired. If he's owns the fact that he was an asshole and changes then why let his childhood dictate the rest of his life?

Jesus Christ folks, I realize taking a whole two minutes to read past the headline is too much for most of you guys, but this wasn't a one time incident when he was 14. It continued throughout highschool, he never apologized to the kid, and everyone involved with the case said the he didn't show the slightest degree of remorse other than remorse that he got caught.

He was a bully and an asshole. Is he still a bully and an asshole? Is his current behavior criminal or problematic?

If he's still that same asshole then I'm okay with him not being hired. If he's owns the fact that he was an asshole and changes then why let his childhood dictate the rest of his life?

The fact that he “apologized” to all the NHL teams he wanted to draft him, but never did apologize to his victim for years of abuse, speaks volumes to me about the type of person he still is today.

“Before the 2020 draft, Miller, apologized to all the N.H.L. teams in writing but not to the victim. According to the Bruins, he did not apologize to Meyer-Crothers until recently, when they asked him to, and he did it on social media, not in person. Isaiah’s mother, Joni Meyer-Crothers, has said that the other person involved in the attacks made a tearful apology in person (years ago shortly after the incident where charges were filed)”

I’d be having a different opinion if he seemed remorseful. But he really doesn’t. He’s only upset he can’t make millions playing in the NHL. He didn’t even apologize to the guy before entering the nhl draft. Bruins this year said they’d sign him if he apologized, and he just sent a lame DM. He also downplays and still only says it was a one day mistake, when he abused the mentally handicapped kid for at least 4 years. It just culminated into one incident resulting in a juvenile court conviction.

People deserve a second chance, but he should have done some education/training to earn that second chance.

Urinals are gross but they arent that dangerous. They get bleached a lot, and piss is sterile. Not like they wiped it on a toilet bowl.

Back