Is Pereira more talented than Adesanya or just a bad matchup?

Unlike you, I'm not here for likes from the old Pride never die crowd. I don't need to convince anyone of anything. That line of thinking alone lets me know where you're at. Old man equivalent of an IG hoe online looking for your validation. I feel sorry for you.

Taebo might actually make you feel like a fighter and it's low impact for those old man bones.

Im not even that old....well you sound like a complete teenager so maybe by comparison...

Its painfully obious that you dont understand this sport. Your arguments are simpleton to extreme levels, you parrot sherdog memes, you can only argue "the sport evolves bro" while pretending you have a clue behind that simpleton premise. Thats literally all you have.

Go find a fucking hobby, loser

Why do people act like having power is not a talent?
Because it isn't, it can be hindrance you rely on. See Derrick Lewis, Yoel Romero, Michael Chandler, Deontay Wilder, Big Frank at one point, but he's really rounding out with his grappling.

Guys fall in love with power and stop working skills. Many people point to Max Holloway relying on his chin, as well as someone who can be in this list. Although he has displayed good footwork, and rolling, he's down to get into dog fights to apply his pressure.

Now imagine someone like Alex, he has BOTH of these attributes. Plus a serious kickboxing acumen to back it up. If he can work on his ground positioning, scrambling, and TDD he's going to be a problem.

Alex doesn't have this problem, but I pointed out several examples of guys that do. As long as these fighters keep working skills, those god given attributes are a blessing. That said, the attributes themselves are not skills.

Im not even that old....well you sound like a complete teenager so maybe by comparison...

Its painfully obious that you dont understand this sport. Your arguments are simpleton to extreme levels, you parrot sherdog memes, you can only argue "the sport evolves bro" while pretending you have a clue behind that simpleton premise. Thats literally all you have.

Go find a fucking hobby, loser
No you simply chose to not address any of my talking points, or did you forget about this from when your old ass was getting dunked on?

Im not reading all that autism from a textbook shertard.

I come here, slap you with a couple of facts and that's it. Go get another hobby, you are fucking pathetic and not fooling anybody.

Okami > Vettori btw

My pre-fight analysis of this fight (not from the same thread)
You're putting words in our mouths. I take Perriera very seriously, he presents instant fight ended qualities. That said, the chance I give him is more of a punchers chance.

I keep seeing the narrative thrown around that Perriera is the superior kickboxer and those same people throw out a little cope line where they say "Perriera should win, but they wouldn't be surprised to see Izzy leg tap and jab him to a UD". Which I find odd because surely the superior kickboxer would be able to shut down such a basic game plan. I then sarcastically ask why that is. Of course I never get an answer, but since it's rhetorical, I'll answer it myself. I think deep down they're not even confident in their pick, and their complete analysis is literally just comparing accolades and not actual fight analysis. They really just want to see Izzy lose, to the point where they just parrot the same talking points and resort to insults when challenged.

Now the reason I believe this fight will be different is because after seeing their kickboxing fights and their fights since in MMA, I truly believe Israel is the superior Kickboxer, plus everything that differs from the kickboxing setting to the MMA setting favors Izzy. These things being the large cage, the lack of standing 8 counts, and the smaller gloves.

The cage obviously favors Izzy because he's a lot more mobile and he will definitely be taking advantage of the open space to circle out, reset, and counter Perriera until he tires. The smaller gloves also favor Izzy (opposed to shertard popular belief) because he is the more mobile fighter, he doesn't rely on the high guard for defense. Though Perriera is more mobile than your typical, basic, MMA striker, in the context of great strikers, he doesn't have the best defensive footwork (offensive is another story). This will make him a big target for the more mobile, active, and outside fighter in Izzy. The lack of standing 8 counts assures that Izzy will finish Perriera when he inevitably hurts him (imo).

Perriera has shown to be much more hittable than Adesanya against lesser strikers like Bruno Silva. I'd like to have a larger sample size, but the guy has fucking 7 fights. With that in mind, the only guy who has touched up Adesanya like that at MW is Kelvin Gastelum, and he's actually a pretty good boxer, Bruno Silva is no Kelvin Gastelum on the feet. Kelvin keeps a crazy pressure, cuts the cage well, has powerful straight punches (including his jab which lumped Izzy up bad), comes forward with the threat of the takedown, and thanks to his time at Kings MMA, the guy has really good kick defense (low, mid, and hi). This combination of factors created a great foil for Adesanya. Perriera on the other hand are a lot of clean punches from a gritty, yet basic Bruno Silva. Alex was obviously the superior striker and he overcame his obstacle. But if a basic striker like Bruno Silva is able to hit Alex and make a difficult fight for him, you don't think a world class kickboxer like Israel can similarly touch him up?

Now as for my punchers chance comment. Sure Alex Perriera can set up his left hook, it's all anyone parrots around here, but tell me how? Leading up to the Costa fight all everybody said was "bOdY sHotZ", when I challenged and asked most posters how Paulo landed his body shots, all I heard where crickets. I let them know that unless his opponents are completely immobile (Olewale Bamgbose) Paulo usually cuts the cage and lands body shots against the cage where his opponents only have two exits. Izzy is far from immobile and offensive Paulo's footwork was too basic for Izzy.

Earlier I mentioned Perriera has good offensive footwork, which is true, but Izzy has shown in the Kickboxing ring that his defensive footwork is superior, now take into account all the extra space he has to work with in the larger cage. Add in the fact that Izzy is excellent at fighting backwards and counter punching. His reach is so long that his straights land at kicking range. He never has to enter Perriera's punching range in order to touch him up. He attempted to in their second kickboxing fight, and he even hurt Perriera, bit the unwarranted 8 count allowed him to recover and he caught an overzealous Izzy with a left hook (Izzy did block a right hook but his other side was exposed). Izzy absolutely learned from.

Taking all of this context into account, I see the fight playing out something like this. Perriera will be very active in the first round, he's here to wins fucking title, he's not just going to roll over and lose. While Izzy is establishing his range Perriera will definitely connect, possibly aiming for legs. Izzy will try to maintain kicking range and will fight mostly going backwards in the beginning. Perriera, confident in his striking acumen, will chase down Israel. While Perriera is being the aggressor Israel will accumulate damage from kicking range with a combination of jabs, straights, leg kicks, and even headkicks just to keep Alex honest. If Izzy does attack the body (tall order against a power puncher) I don't suspect it will be with kicks because of Alex's kick defense. Though Adesanya will definitely be aiming to hurt Alex, his main strategy will be to accumulate damage until Alex slows down even just a little. By this time Izzy should have his reads (mid second round, possibly third) and he'll be able to use his speed advantage (and take advantage of the smaller gloves, lol) to begin to intelligently pressure Perriera and push him back. This is the beginning of the end, as long as Izzy keeps his cool and just keeps touching Perriera, he will eventually fall, with no standing 8 count to save him. Either the ref stops it then and there or Izzy goes for ground and pound (which he's actually very creative with).

Now I'm sure you guys are telling yourselves "hey shertard, if Vettori and Cannonier made it to the bell what makes you think Perriera won't", as backwards as this may seem, it's his kickboxing acumen. Once Vettori an Cannonier felt the danger Izzy presented, they shelled up and only used the most basic secure offense. Perriera isn't the type to shell up and go down, truly believing he is the superior kickboxer, je will come forward and continue to try to set up his left hook a variety of ways, which involves maneuvering into Izzy's punching range, again in the much bigger cage:
morgan-freeman-good-luck.gif

You're ancient that's why you live in the past. Now go rub some Bengay on yourself and take a nap.

Last edited:
Because it isn't, it can be hindrance you rely on. See Derrick Lewis, Yoel Romero, Michael Chandler, Deontay Wilder, Big Frank at one point, but he's really rounding out with his grappling.

Guys fall in love with power and stop working skills. Many people point to Max Holloway relying on his chin, as well as someone who can be in this list. Although he has displayed good footwork, and rolling, he's down to get into dog fights to apply his pressure.

Now imagine someone like Alex, he has BOTH of these attributes. Plus a serious kickboxing acumen to back it up. If he can work on his ground positioning, scrambling, and TDD he's going to be a problem.

Alex doesn't have this problem, but I pointed out several examples of guys that do. As long as these fighters keep working skills, those god given attributes are a blessing. That said, the attributes themselves are not skills.
So would you the same things about speed or athleticism in general? Usain bolt being the fastest man in the world is not a talent? Or lebron's leaping ability, that's not a talent?

Bad match up. He's also really talented though.

It’s a bad matchup.
He can’t put Pereira away.
He is forced to have more output in this fight than other fights.
He can’t control the pace.
He has to stop the pressure with volume.
He didn’t have to do that with other opponents.
Izzy also gassed out.
if they both gass out the power difference will be decisive.
Izzy doesn’t have the wrestling to stop the pressure.

He will loose again if they fight.

The UFC has a problem. If they do a rematch and Izzy loses. his name is gone.
If they don’t do the rematch they will loose an opportunity to make this huge money fight. Whitaker will beat Alex. The fight can’t happen then.

izzy can loose all his ‘legacy’ if he gets beaten a second time.

So would you the same things about speed or athleticism in general? Usain bolt being the fastest man in the world is not a talent? Or lebron's leaping ability, that's not a talent?
Athletic god given talents, sure. The skills work is what they do with their coaches that only allows that talent to shine on the big stage.

Or should guys with God given talent just stop working skills?

I don't believe so but I think you should know how you sounded framing the question like that.

Edit: I think our disconnect comes from the guy you quoted. He used the word "talent" to describe Israel's variety of fighting techniques and general acumen. You're using the word to speak about God given/,genetic attributes

Last edited:
Pressure, power+ the kickboxing witt to minimize risk from Izzy's counters. He's a bad matchup for Israel. But I feel he lacks the nimbleness that Izzy has against grapplers. I won't be surprised if loses the title to a wrestler

TRTittie Israel would have fared much better

I think it's pretty clear that he's going to have trouble against well-rounded fighters in the UFC. No insult to Israel at all, but it's common knowledge that grappling is not his thing. His wrestling is all defensive, a means of avoiding wrestling. And there's nothing wrong with that. But I think Israel is better at keeping people off of him than Alex will be, which will make for a very long and unhappy fight against someone like Whittaker.

But I don't think Alex gets enough credit for something that seems to be escaping everyone-- In the last two rounds Alex adjusted to Israel's strategy of clinching whenever he got too close. He started firing shots right down the middle which opened Israel up. This is what caused the ending combination too. When he'd clinch, he'd do a straight right or get an uppercut in there. He actually adjusted and developed a strategy to overcome something Israel probably thought would confound him.

If Izzy had similar power, Alex would be in deep shit. Alex is more lethal, but less skilled. Lethality is what matters, though. At the end of the day, you have to be skilled enough to find a way to land your shots, and Alex is skilled enough to find a way to land his shots. It doesn't matter who's better. What matters is who wins, and Alex is 3-0.

hard to say whos better when there is so much at stake
Izzy felt exchanges were too dangerous and started grappling to win rounds. if they kept standing all the time I guess someone would have been dropped earlier, but who knows
Alex timing and power are too much for any striker to deal with. This fits LHW as well. He will murder any LHW striker.
Grapplers tho, we gonna have to wait and see

I think Izzy is the more technical gamesman among the two of them, he has the better strategy, technique and exploitation of the rules. I’d even say he might be the better athlete & knows how to use it to compliment his striking.

But Poatan happens to have the natural “kill” factor in him that you just can’t train into fighters. Combine that with highly technical striking and you have the recipe for a dangerous fighter.

Because it isnt...its an attribute ..a gift ..

Yes it can be developed over time but ur not getting Mike tyson or Ngannou or Alex's power no matter how much you train so guys just have it...
So you believe that ngannou is one of the least talented fighters at heavyweight, and Usain bolt is no more talented than the other guys he's beaten in races?

Just a bad match up. Any wrestler in the division is going to merk Pereira. This opens up the division.

So you believe that ngannou is one of the least talented fighters at heavyweight, and Usain bolt is no more talented than the other guys he's beaten in races?
Ngannou used to be sloppy as fuck but he always had his power. Now he's developed unto a pretty skilled fighter.

Someone like Deontay Wilder though, he's a fundamentally atrocious boxer. Like, one of the worst professional boxers I have ever seen, yet he was a long time reigning world champion who KOed everybody he'd ever fought because he has natural, ungodly power. Punchers aren't made. They are born.

I believe there more talented and skilled fighters at HW then Ngannou yes...off the top of my head Gane and Stipe ..are more skilled and talented then Ngannou but he has an eraser/equalizer in power...

Everyone knows POWER is the great equalizer in fighting...look at Deontay Wilder...the guy can not even box properly and throw proper combos but if he lands that straight right or overhand right... Ur dead...over 90% k.o percentage but cant use angles or proper defense..

Ngannou used to be sloppy as fuck but he always had his power. Now he's developed unto a pretty skilled fighter.

Someone like Deontay Wilder though, he's a fundamentally atrocious boxer. Like, one of the worst professional boxers I have ever seen, yet he was a long time reigning world champion who KOed everybody he'd ever fought because he has natural, ungodly power. Punchers aren't made. They are born.
And so you believe that ngannou and Usain bolt are not talented athletes?

And so you believe that ngannou and Usain bolt are not talented athletes?
They are obviously talented athletes. I have no idea what Usain Bolt has to do with punching power though.

Punchers are made of a combination of ungodly power and ungodly timing. Actually its timing what really set them apart. There are plenty of people who can unload massive power on a stationary object. To do it on a reactive, trained opponent is another story that requires great timing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JonSable
Back