Is Alex Pereira the least well-rounded, most vulnerable UFC Champion ever?

Combat Wombatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
First off let me say I'm a fan of Alex Pereira and am very happy he won the fight on Saturday. I think Izzy got comfortable winning the first 3 rounds and then coasting the last 2 which got boring.

I think Alex and Izzy are very similar in the fact that they are both almost 1 dimensional, elite strikers who lack wrestling and ground fighting skills as seen in their fight. Almost any other ranked fighter who had Alex on the ground like Izzy did would have most likely finished him.

Even Anderson Silva who I thought was 2 dimensional, he had a solid but IMHO over-hyped ground game to go along with his elite striking. He still had some ground skills and was a black belt in BJJ I believe.

Don't bring up Brock Lesnar because he was 2 dimensional like Anderson, he had elite wrestling and a solid ground game/submission game. And Lesnar beat strikers in Carwin/Hunto, BJJ in Mir, and wrestling in Couture.

Someone on Twitter made a good point when they said Alex could beat the champ but not un-ranked Bo Nickal because Nickal wouldn't stand and bang with Alex, he'd go for the immediate takedown, most likely get it, and ground and pound Alex until he gassed him out or got the TKO victory.

I do think they will do an immediate Alex vs. Izzy rematch because they want to get as most money out of Alex as they can and if he fought someone who might wrestle next his reign as champ would be over quickly and at his age he's most likely not up for another title run even as easy as his most recent one was.

Alex and Izzy's rematch should be similar to the first fight because neither will have time to really improve on anything especially their wrestling which takes quite awhile to get good at. I do see Alex being more aggressive in the next fight out of the gate. I will say Alex almost being KO'd in the 1st round was probably the best thing for him because he discovered that he had to respect Izzy's power and didn't walk into a KO.

Is Alex Pereira the least well-rounded, 1 dimensional, most vulnerable UFC Champion ever?

And I don't mean go back to UFC 1 and point out how guys were 1 dimensional.

I don't think we'll know until he fights a wrestler. I think what we learned is that his get ups aren't great but he put himself there with his own fuck up. If he's just concentrating on defending takedowns, seperating and striking with a lesser striker, then it might look completely different.

Alex is being severely underrated here, the same way Izzy was during his rise.

Does anyone here think Derek Brunson has a chance in hell against Alex?? Because he's a legitimate top 10 MW. I don't think you guys understand the sheer size difference between Alex and these other guys.

Alex is gonna improve massively in his grappling now, he just viciously finished the far and away 2nd best striker in the division. Wait till you see Alex start calf kicking these wrestle boxers and destroying them from range, god help us all if Glover gets his BJJ up to snuff with a solid sprawl.

It's downright laughable when people bring up Khamzat, the same guy who just went life and death with Gilbert Burns!?!? He needs to take 12+ months to prepare himself to fight a MW the size of Alex. Being a wrestler isn't enough, you gotta be able to finish him in the first-round while having very good striking and a granite chin to survive the standup portions that will inevitably ensue.

Izzy has a phenomenal chin, wait till Alex starts touching these other guys and the tune will start to change.

Who are these wrestlers who have legit finishing ability that they've displayed at MW that you actually believe can stop him by surviving on the feet for more than a few minutes??

Brunson? He can't take a punch from Alex, especially once Alex tears up his lead leg.

Whittaker? When's the last time Whittaker even employed an effective wrestling strategy that resulted in a win? He loves to strike and routinely spends the vast majority of his fights doing so.

Marvin? Very bad Fight IQ despite a great chin, might actually have the best shot out of anyone because he actually has a history of submitting strikers and taking a beating.

Hermansson? He would wilt as soon as he felt his power.

Maybe Muniz? He could be a serious threat, but he has to actually fight his way toward the top of the division first.

Last edited:
I don't think we'll know until he fights a wrestler. I think what we learned is that his get ups aren't great but he put himself there with his own fuck up. If he's just concentrating on defending takedowns, seperating and striking with a lesser striker, then it might look completely different.

Yeah, Alex really needs to make sure he stays off his back at all costs, that's for sure.

They said the same thing about Conor, even though, after tearing his knee, he used wrestling to defeat Max Holloway. Alex doesn't have to be a great grappler to win. He's like prime Crop Cop right now. He can keep it standing and terrify his opponents.

It's hard to say at this point. A lot of people said that about Izzy, but then wrestlers like Brunson, Whittaker, Vettori couldn't beat him.

Either way I think it's completely ridiculous to say "Alex could beat the champ but not un-ranked Bo Nickal because Nickal wouldn't stand and bang with Alex". Bo Nickal has 3 fights against nobodies. Every fight/round starts standing... there's no basis for the assumption that Nickal wouldn't get knocked the fuck out on the way in trying to engage with Pereira. The timing, distance, footwork to get in on takedowns against highlevel strikers in MMA isn't anything like a wrestling match, and Nickal has minimal experience with it. Pereira is absolutely massive at 185 and has the kind of power that Nickal has never even dreamt of. I'd confidently put big money on Pereira if those two were scheduled to fight.

His striking is so dangerous but his wrestling will always be his weakness. He will be entertaining to watch but who knows who long he will reign. Izzy showed how easy he was to trip, Alex looked like he had Frankenstein balance.

GoodnaturedNarrowArrowana-max-1mb.gif

Marvin is probably his worst matchup. Good enough wrestling, good enough striking to get inside, great top control, insane cardio and an iron chin.

Completely agree. Will be quite weird when Vettori ends up the champ despite losing to Izzy twice.

It's hard to say at this point. A lot of people said that about Izzy, but then wrestlers like Brunson, Whittaker, Vettori couldn't beat him.

Either way I think it's completely ridiculous to say "Alex could beat the champ but not un-ranked Bo Nickal because Nickal wouldn't stand and bang with Alex". Bo Nickal has 3 fights against nobodies. Every fight/round starts standing... there's no basis for the assumption that Nickal wouldn't get knocked the fuck out on the way in trying to engage with Pereira. The timing, distance, footwork to get in on takedowns against highlevel strikers in MMA isn't anything like a wrestling match, and Nickal has minimal experience with it. Pereira is absolutely massive at 185 and has the kind of power that Nickal has never even dreamt of. I'd confidently put big money on Pereira if those two were scheduled to fight.

The point wasn't that the actual Bo Nickel could defeat Alex but pointing out that someone with nearly rudimentary skills but almost any wrestling could take Alex down and keep him there.

Alex's wrestling looked atrocious and he most likely won't be able to improve it enough before he loses his belt.

Reactions: mkt
Back