Rewatch 9 years ago today. Gsp managed to beat Johnny Hendricks

This thread is a mine

secondary-salt-crystalization-art-of-nature-in-the-wieliczka-salt-mine-12-HR.jpg

1 3 5

GSP's amazing takedown and lame guillotine attempt lasted 5 seconds....not even worth scoring.

Hendricks threw and landed more significant strikes, took GSP down and busted his leg and his face up.

Only a GSP dick rider (like yourself) could make a case for GSP winning Rd1.
Literally outside of a few knees, Hendricks lands nothing of significance and it's no more significant than GSP's leg kicks and jabs.

It's debatable Hendricks won but only complete idiots think it's impossible GSP won. You can be part of those idiots. Not my problem lol

Nine years later, the visceral anger and bandwagon of apologist is really pathetic. Everyone knows he was gifted that decision.

I was rooting for Big Rig but still thought GSP won.

This is an issue of judging criteria. With the boxing system, 10 point must, round by round system, GSP won 3 rounds to 2.

If we're judging by overall damage, more of a PRIDE type scoring system, Johnny won. Johnny did more damage, Georges won more rounds.

It has nothing to do with character or dick riding. At the time, I was training with Jeff Rockwell, who is super legit and was Phil Davis's bjj coach back then-- the man knows fighting. He told me that when he first watched it, he thought it was Johnny, but he went back and watched again with the sound off and thought GSP won 3-2.

I get the frustration, because Johnny whipped some ass that night, almost finished him, and left his face looking like hamburger meat. But as long as we have the current system, you have to give it to Georges.

Dana was shitting on GSP that whole presser. Not even a fan of Georges but that was a bad look. One of the people in the back even tried to stop GSP from getting to the presser and Dana even said he was transported to the hospital IIRC. They tried to make it look like Johny immobilized him and beat him out of the UFC for good lol....

Damn, that's wild. News to me.

Clear robbery. If you got no honesty you're going to deny it.

I broke it down like I did specifically for people that see it the way you do. I get what you're saying, but as long as the 10 point must system is in place, you'll have fights like this occasionally.

Couldn't agree more, round by round scoring appears to be a complete mystery to some.

Those are probably the very same people who thought Gustafsson got robbed in the first Jones fight. Similarly to GSP vs Hendricks, that fight also had some egregiously biased commentary.

Yep, which is why Jeff saw it differently when he watched it a few days later with the sound off.

What makes it clear? Calling it a robbery and declaring anyone who disagrees are dishonest is weak. Honestly break down how you scored the fight and explain what makes it a robbery.

2 & 4 were clear 10-9 for Johnny
3 & 5 were clear for GSP
1st round was razor close. The rounds for GSP were far more dominant than anything Hendricks did. 2 & 4 were close in striking. The 3rd had GSP doubling the sig strikes 31-15. It was the most dominant round and should be worth more than the 10-9's Johnny got for 3-4 more strikes landed in the rounds he won.

It was a close fight that could have gone either way, imagine that fight between 2 random dudes on DWCS. Nobody cries robbery if they didn't have a rooting interest or existing bias. Johnny being so competitive with GSP when no one else him gave much of a fight resulted in the Halo effect. Extra credit to Johnny for not getting dominated isn't a valid reason for him to win let alone calling it a Robbery.
I would push back and say that round 2 was the most dominant of the fight in favor of Hendricks. I personally scored the fight for GSP (don't have an issue with scoring it for Hendricks though), but I do think the most damage of the fight was done in round 2. Johny had GSP seriously hurt and landed the biggest shots of the fight in round 2.

Theres a case for Georges winning. It was a close fight. I maybe scored it to Johnny. Legacy wise Johnny is nowhere near GSP though. Usada walks in and this guy shits his pants and only barely beats Lombard after.

Don't let it go to the judges, they say. That's because the judges decide and we don't. GSP won!

Say if Johny Hendricks won. Who would he have fought next? And how would he have done?

then he somehow decided to let GSP come out of retirement and fight Bisping when everybody knew he would never defend that belt

I suspect he thought Bisping would win, Dana's big weakness tends to be that he drinks the cool aid of the fighters he likes.

The night Hendricks sent GSP into retirement
You forgot GSP coming back 4 years later and winning the MW belt while Hendricks was getting blasted in almost every fight in the post USADA era. GSP was the long time WW champ despite multiple knee injuries and while Hendricks did eventually win the WW belt, he had zero successful title defenses. Hendricks was certainly a beast in his prime, but in terms of legacy, not even close.

Hendricks excuses for losing to Wonderboy by brutal TKO in round one were classic. He got totally outclassed in the striking and in the post fight presser blamed Wonderboy for moving around too much and not engaging enough. Interesting perspective in that Wonderboy was somehow able to close the distance and beat the snot out of The Big Rig and get the R1 TKO finish. Enclosed is a weblink to the full fight video which is only 3 minutes long due to early TKO.

Fight Video

Post Fight Press Conference (Excuses)

Never rewatched a gsp fight in my life.
Love the dude, i admire his skills but man he was so fucking boring, its crazy.
Btw Hendricks was equally boring af

All came down to how you scored round 1, which could have gone either way imo.

Insanely close fight, Hendricks won Pride Rules, but GSP won the 10-Point-Must System.

I disagree, GSP would have won even more in Pride.

In Pride, the last round is the most important, a round GSP clearly won.

Back