Harry and Meghan on Netflix

Richmma80

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Anyone watched this yet? It dropped on Netflix last night

It's about Meghan Merkle, who gave up EVERYTHING she had just so she could be with Harry and live in his unfamiliar world.

if there is one thing I care less about the Kardashians, it's these people, and British "royalty" in general.

c0c.gif

to answer your question haven't watched it.

People seem to have strong feelings about these 2 but I do not. I am interested in how a Monarchy can still function in 2022.

The British Royal Family is a gilded cage. I can understand why they wanted to leave "the firm"

It is also clear that Meghan was subjected to a lot of racism from the British tabloids (and probably elements of the Monarchy bureaucracy as well)

The most cogent explanation that I have heard regarding the dynamics between Harry and the rest of the Royals is that Harry/Meghan had a really strong media presence but slipped down to like 5th on the call sheet when William had kids. Usually the 5th in the line to the throne (or whatever Harry is now) is mostly a nobody. They get to live in a fancy house and get a relatively modest allowance and try to find some sort of vague public service thing to pass the time. Maybe they get lucky and actually enjoy the cause they represent.

Harry and Meghan had a lot more personal star appeal. Harry was well known because of his mother and her untimely death. Meghan had her own film career. The media is pretty obsessed with both of them.

The Royals seemed unable to devise a system that balanced Harry's emerging lack of importance in terms of succession with Harry/Meghan's star appeal and ambition.

People seem to have strong feelings about these 2 but I do not. I am interested in how a Monarchy can still function in 2022.

The British Royal Family is a gilded cage. I can understand why they wanted to leave "the firm"

It is also clear that Meghan was subjected to a lot of racism from the British tabloids (and probably elements of the Monarchy bureaucracy as well)

The most cogent explanation that I have heard regarding the dynamics between Harry and the rest of the Royals is that Harry/Meghan had a really strong media presence but slipped down to like 5th on the call sheet when William had kids. Usually the 5th in the line to the throne (or whatever Harry is now) is mostly a nobody. They get to live in a fancy house and get a relatively modest allowance and try to find some sort of vague public service thing to pass the time. Maybe they get lucky and actually enjoy the cause they represent.

Harry and Meghan had a lot more personal star appeal. Harry was well known because of his mother and her untimely death. Meghan had her own film career. The media is pretty obsessed with both of them.

The Royals seemed unable to devise a system that balanced Harry's emerging lack of importance in terms of succession with Harry/Meghan's star appeal and ambition.

The British press treats them horrible. While the US has a large class of celebritys, in the UK almost all that attention is given to this one family. There is validity to them feeling harassed and unsafe, I mean just look at the whole Diana thing. It's not the same as a hollywood celebrity in the US.

Harry will be a nobody but it's a gradual process he's going to be the brother of the King deep into the 21st century. Historically the "spare" has actually inherited the throne because the 1st born has died young and/or not had children. Elizabeth II was born as the daughter of the second son(which was why Harry and Meghan named their daughter "Lillibet") and Victoria was the daughter of a fifth son. That didn't happen for Andrew or Harry but before that it had happened quite commonly. It only became clear Harry would be a nobody in the 2010s. The Prince Harrys of the 1890s and 1920s actually became King.

Also the monarchy functionally doesn't exist. The UK is a republic in all but name not just in the 21st century but even in the 1800s when republics were rare. The act of settlement makes the UK monarch the only ones who are there at Parliaments will and would not have inherited the throne without the assistance of a legislature. Thus their relationship with the govt is fundamentally different because they'd be nobobies without them not has beens, has never beens.

Last edited:
Sounds boring as fuck

Back