• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Jones the only one calling himself GOAT

"Is there something to this self proclaimed Goatness"

Anyone with half a brain who has been following MMA knows what Jones has accomplished and why many people view him as the Goat despite all the drug stuff.

There's really no point in discussing this. Shit thread.
Accomplishments by cheating used to be frowned upon. But you don't think we should discuss that because cheating "aside" :D

Regardless if you think proven drug cheaters fighting smaller opponents for most of their career should be in the conversation for GOAT or not. John Jones stands out in the fact he's the only GOAT candidate calling himself GOAT, saying it's not even close. Is there something to this self-proclaimed goatness?

Thats probably because, he is the GOAT?

Who has a better a resume?

Screenshot 2022-04-20 100016.png

It can be hard to deal with.

If we ignore failing drug tests, I think we basically have to give it to Jones. It's between him and Fedor. I'm giving Fedor bonus points for doing it at heavyweight. If you don't value the fact that it was done at HW, then I think Jones wins by a wide margin. He dominated a lot of great fighters. No one else's resume stacks up against his. Fedor defeated 4 top tier opponents by my count. I give Jones 6 top tier opponents. If Jones wins his next fight, he'll have Fedor beat in the longevity department by age. He's still got 5 wins to go to match Fedor's 31 wins with only one questionable loss, but his strength of schedule has been greater.

For the GSP lovers: By my count, GSP has also beaten 4 great opponents and he had a strong schedule. Only 2 (maybe 3 if you count Bisping) of his opponents had the legend status that 5 or 6 of Jones' and 3 or 4 of Fedor's did.

I don't ignore the failed tests because fuck Jones. So he's disqualified from my list.

If we ignore failing drug tests, I think we basically have to give it to Jones. It's between him and Fedor. I'm giving Fedor bonus points for doing it at heavyweight. If you don't value the fact that it was done at HW, then I think Jones wins by a wide margin. He dominated a lot of great fighters. No one else's resume stacks up against his. Fedor defeated 4 top tier opponents by my count. If Jones wins his next fight, he'll have Fedor beat in the longevity department by age. He's still got 5 wins to go to match Fedor's 31 wins with only one questionable loss, but his strength of schedule has been greater.

For the GSP lovers: By my count, GSP has also beaten 4 great opponents and he had a strong schedule. Only 2 (maybe 3 if you count Bisping) of his opponents had the legend status that 5 or 6 of Jones' and 3 or 4 of Fedor's did.

I don't ignore the failed tests because fuck Jones. So he's disqualified from my list.
I see what you're saying. But the the whole point is if cheating should be ignored then we must look at the situation from the opposite, if Jones 4 top tier opponents all roided and Jones did not, would his record look the same?

I see what you're saying. But the the whole point is if cheating should be ignored then we must look at the situation from the opposite, if Jones 4 top tier opponents all roided and Jones did not, would his record look the same?
No idea. Probably not, but that's the whole point of the conversation around PED's affecting your legacy. I'm not really interested in debating about that.

Like i said, Jones is disqualified from my list. If you don't disqualify him, I think he has to be #1.

Accomplishments by cheating used to be frowned upon. But you don't think we should discuss that because cheating "aside" :D
You're obviously not the smartest tool in the shed and that's why I could see through your camouflaged hate thread right from the beginning.

In response to this latest dumb response of yours... Most MMA fighters have taken PEDs at some point or another in their careers. Many have tested positive publically just like Jon Jones. So why are none of these people being considered GOAT?

Vitor Belfort, Dillashaw, Overeem, Sonnen, Henderson etc..

Why is there no one calling these guys the GOAT? None of them are self proclaiming themselves the GOAT either.

Is there something to it? Hmm let's think, why could that be?

No idea. Probably not, but that's the whole point of the conversation around PED's affecting your legacy. I'm not really interested in debating about that.

Like i said, Jones is disqualified from my list. If you don't disqualify him, I think he has to be #1.
When you say disqualified from your list, do you mean he doesn’t appear on the list at all? For me, I think we could split hairs comparing Jones’ resumes with GSP and Fedor. But I could never rank a multi-time PED cheat above 2 fighters who never popped. So Jones is #3 on my list, and that’s the highest he’ll ever be.

cause he's got a big ego and likes to talk himself up. dont really see any other reason or need any other reason. in terms of combat sports, GSP and DJ and Fedor are all at his level. each of those three have less disputed decisions as well. i dont believe any of those 3 had their titles stripped either.

You're obviously not the smartest tool in the shed and that's why I could see through your camouflaged hate thread right from the beginning.

In response to this latest dumb response of yours... Most MMA fighters have taken PEDs at some point or another in their careers. Many have tested positive publically just like Jon Jones. So why are none of these people being considered GOAT?

Why is there no one calling these guys the GOAT? None of them are self proclaiming themselves the GOAT either.

The fact you see hate where there's facts is pretty telling by itself.

All the fighters you mentioned are irrelevant simply because they're not in GOAT conversation. Nice try!

Khabib was banging his own drum pretty hard when he retired. Though, he prefers to angle for the #1 P4P label.

DC likes to toot his own horn, as well, hyper focusing on "champ champ" status because that criteria suits his accomplishments. Just like Khabib focuses on things like never being cut or having never bled.

Regardless if you think proven drug cheaters fighting smaller opponents for most of their career should be in the conversation for GOAT or not. John Jones stands out in the fact he's the only GOAT candidate calling himself GOAT, saying it's not even close. Is there something to this self-proclaimed goatness?

Nobody else calls themselves the GOAT because they know Jones exists. Only you goofs are confused about it.

<JonesDXSuckIt>

none of those guys (except maybe Overeem) have the strength of resume that Jon has, thats why people arent calling them GOAT. what kind of a comparison is that? seems silly.

When you say disqualified from your list, do you mean he doesn’t appear on the list at all? For me, I think we could split hairs comparing Jones’ resumes with GSP and Fedor. But I could never rank a multi-time PED cheat above 2 fighters who never popped. So Jones is #3 on my list, and that’s the highest he’ll ever be.
Not on the list at all. I don't see any accurate way to assess what he could've/would've/should've been like without PED's, so it's all or nothing for me.

If I ignore the PED's, I think it requires mental gymnastics to put him anywhere other than #1. But, like you, I can't put a proven cheater above the other greats. So, he's disqualified.

Not on the list at all. I don't see any accurate way to assess what he could've/would've/should've been like without PED's, so it's all or nothing for me.

If I ignore the PED's, I think it requires mental gymnastics to put him anywhere other than #1. But, like you, I can't put a proven cheater above the other greats. So, he's disqualified.
mr Tuna, what is your non-PED GOAT list? inquiring minds want to know.

mr Tuna, what is your non-PED GOAT list? inquiring minds want to know.
non-PED is obviously not the same as not repeatedly busted for PED's. I'm not naive enough to assume that professional athletes are clean, if that's where you're going with this.

My list is:
1. Fedor
2. GSP
(I'm not sure of the order for the rest of the list. I haven't put a ton of thought into it outside my top 2, Jones, and Anderson)
3. Mighty Mouse
4. Aldo
5. Khabib

Back