I miss Mousasi: At his peak he was probably the best MW ever

When was he in his prime and supposedly the best MW ever? Pre UFC when he got dominated on the ground by King Mo, or in the UFC where he had a couple of losses?

I’ve always been a Mousasi fan, but for some reason some fans thought he was the best MW when it has been proven over and over that he’s not.

Mousasi is dangerous against anyone in that weight class all time.

Even if I were to use "best" to mean most effectively well-rounded, I would still only be able to say Moose was the most consistent "best" fighter. I think his average performance was more often closer to his highest level than his middle, on a more frequent basis than other fighters compete between their middle and tops.

For instance, take Rockhold. His highest level is above Moose imo, so he is a better call for "best" well-rounded fighter, but he just happens to fight closer to his middle than his top most of the time. The most inconsistent "best" fighter. This is often because of his weaknesses, which are fucking GLARING. But it's not like Moose is without his own weaknesses. He's not always his own top either.

But having said all that, he was champ caliber for sure. Would have easily picked him over Bisping.

Big Mousasi fan but he was not the best MW ever.

He had the longest career at the top of all of them tho. Him being consistently a top fighter was unmatched at MW.

Biased Mousasi fans are always good for a laugh. By their reasoning, he was at his best only in some other dimension which can't be measured by time or space, because apparently he wasn't in his prime during either Strikeforce, or when he fought Machida and Jacare in the UFC.

Only his final five UFC fights and his first few in Bellator count.

He was merely developing as a fighter for his first 45 fights.

Half the top 15 would've been champ if they got a TS vs Michael.

Moose could be ranked top. 10 top 5 at MW all times aka 30 years of existence of this sport.

He lost to Machida and Jacare. The Jacare fight he didn't get much anything done. Well hard to say. MW UFC champ material but didn't happen.

He was in his physical prime at the end of his dream run

Half the top 15 would've been champ if they got a TS vs Michael.

Moose could be ranked top. 10 top 5 at MW all times aka 30 years of existence of this sport.

He lost to Machida and Jacare. The Jacare fight he didn't get much anything done. Well hard to say. MW UFC champ material but didn't happen.

This right here is the point that Mousasi fans don't understand. They refuse to acknowledge they were at least 3-4 people in front of Mouse in line. They think because Hedno and GSP got title shots they didn't deserve Mouse is the victim cause he could beat Bisping and they just ignore the rest of the division and cry about Mouse getting mistreated.

Yeah I wish he would have resigned with the UFC at the time, he would have finished Bisping for sure and became UFC MW Champion.
Mousasi vs Whittaker would have been a nice wet dream. Throw Yoel in the mix and.

vince-vince-mcmahon.gif

When was his peak?

I think he was at his best when he lost to Jacare and Machida(and Hall) around 2015 and 2016. Definitely wasn't the best in the world.

At his very best and at his peak he was easily one of the best MWs ever.

I always liked Mousasi and thought he had the potential to be UFC MW champ, but he always found a way to disappoint me.

Prime moose got his shit pushed in by jacare.

he was a good fighter, his fanbase made him bigger then he was. fell short against top competition. definitely top 10.

This right here is the point that Mousasi fans don't understand. They refuse to acknowledge they were at least 3-4 people in front of Mouse in line. They think because Hedno and GSP got title shots they didn't deserve Mouse is the victim cause he could beat Bisping and they just ignore the rest of the division and cry about Mouse getting mistreated.

Nah Mouse quit UFC and went to bellators or so. Back then in his prime when he came to the UFC it was an apsolutely stacked division. He didn't earn a title shot. He was like 1 out of 5-7 guys who could become champ. He was not ahead of the others.
Bisping was a lucky grit champ. Lucky he got away with the Anderson win, cause Anderson had him knocked out and started celebrating instead of throwing a few gnp shots to get the stoppage. A split decision win vs Thales Leites. Both fights took damage and never quit. Bisping one of the toughest mfers but never was the best guy. Think was on a 2 fight win streak, two close calls, this was also Anderson post leg break and on a skid, and then someone I think Weidman pulled out the Rockhold rematch. Ping got the call short notice and won with one of the divisions biggest upsets. I even remeber reading Luke had a leg injury and came to box. Now according to me Luke is a pretty trash boxers, he can punch and got a check hook, but his overall boxing skill and technique is trash. In their first fight, Luke dispatched Michael easily in one of the more beautiful performance at MW and finished him easy in a short fight. This time full of confidence, Luke charged in against Left hook Larry and Mike got the knock out. Big upset nobody expected it must've been +600 or something. Then the truth unfolded. Michael chose a rematch vs Hendo who was 46 and ranked #14. Everyone in the division was begging to fight Michael, cause while he had the belt he was easily not top 5 MWs, there were Jacare Withaker Vitor Weidman Luke Mouse Yoel Kennedy and others better then him, but remeber he got the short notice replacement fight and landed his best punch to date on a dumb fighting Luke. Even Brad Tavares was backstage begging Michael for a shot. So Michael plays it safe and gets 1x free title fight money by rematching Hendo, Hendo had that humongous KO win over Mike from ufc 100 and prime for Prime Michael couldn't land 3 jabs at Hendo before getting obliterated.
Now Michael barely wins vs 46 year old Hendo, gets his face rearranged but Hendo being a old man gassed and Michael without really hurting him outpointed him for the majority of the rounds.
Then GSP senses easy money and legacy and makes everyone wait 8 months or so to bulk up. Gsp being a huge Canadian draw the UFC grants it in hopes of GSP doing more fights. Gsp toys with Michael and finishes him in the second.
Then Michael takes a fight vs Kelvin 2 weeks later and gets knocked out in the first half brutally. Having 1 eye left and seeing flashes of light after his last match in his remaining eye, Michael stepped away from the sport and became a epic commentator and Podcaster.
Most deserved championship cause he literary fought with 1 eye and later had a knee replacement surgery. Like he never quit in fights ever. One of the toughest. He gave an eye and a leg to become champion.
But also the only fighter who wasn't top 5 best fighters in the division while being champion.

OK this was about Moos. Damn MW was a shark tank back then.

Last edited:
Back