Makhachev Broke Volkanovski

UFCIsNOTRigged

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Volkanovski lost nearly all of the striking exchanges, had no case for winning, and was absolutely mentally broken by Makhachev after getting taken down in the fourth round. He doesn’t appear to handle power all that well at 155 nor does he appear able to deal with the threat of the takedown without having his offense effectively muted. The commentators said largely the exact same thing during the fight.

Volkanovski survived the fight but was unable to initiate meaningful offense due to the threat of the takedown. It is wild to see how many genuinely believe Volkanovski fought good when he did nothing but survive the entire fight. During the fourth round, while trapped in a body triangle, he was yelling at Makhachev and his corner instead of trying to escape and get back to his feet; having lost at least two of the first three rounds. If that’s not breaking your opponent what is?

I wonder if the folks pretending Volkanovski won are really just fans who unnecessarily trashed him after his fights with Max? Now they are trashing Makhachev and his triumph over Volkanovski in a perpetual cycle of clownish behavior.

I'm not invested in either fighter, but I thought Volk won 48-47.

If anyone was broken it was Islam in the 5th; he was looking up at the clock repeatedly, terribly gassed and hurt, and the fight ended with him getting punched in the face whilst on his back.

f64c63bf-897e-41b2-a55c-2e581accba47-jpeg.968193

I just saw a poll on youtube with thousands of Votes and it was 48% for Volk winning to 41 % for Islam. Media outlets are reporting this as controversial even Luke Thomas, MMA Guru and Jack Slack (sherdogs most respected analysts) said it could have went either way. Volk looked a division and half smaller and ended the fight smashing on an exhausted Dagestani yelling at him and now he's asking for the rematch and stating he felt he deserved the decision.

Whoever you think won is fine and I even anticipated Makhachev would break Volk in round 3 or 4 and get a submission but....Volkanovski may be the least breakable fighter I have ever seen. He's the greatest fighter on planet earth and his performance going up a division was amazing. This was history we watched and Volkanovski was on the best side of it despite losing.

Broke Volk? You couldn't be more wrong.

Last edited:
Volkanovski lost nearly all of the striking exchanges, had no case for winning, and was absolutely mentally broken by Makhachev after getting taken down in the fourth round. He doesn’t appear to handle power all that well at 155 nor does he appear able to deal with the threat of the takedown without having his offense effectively muted. The commentators said largely the exact same thing during the fight.

Volkanovski survived the fight but was unable to initiate meaningful offense due to the threat of the takedown. It is wild to see how many genuinely believe Volkanovski fought good when he did nothing but survive the entire fight. During the fourth round, while trapped in a body triangle, he was yelling at Makhachev and his corner instead of trying to escape and get back to his feet; having lost at least two of the first three rounds. If that’s not breaking your opponent what is?

I wonder if the folks pretending Volkanovski won are really just fans who unnecessarily trashed him after his fights with Max? Now they are trashing Makhachev and his triumph over Volkanovski in a perpetual cycle of clownish behavior.
You stopped watching at the end of the 4th round surely. The guy who you think broke dropped Islam stopped his takedowns and was GNP'ing him to end the fight whilst Islam was just trying to endure to the bell. It's funny you use the word clownish because this is a clownish thread, hopefully an aberration, not a pattern.

I'm not invested in either fighter, but I thought Volk won 48-47.

If anyone was broken it was Islam in the 5th; he was looking up at the clock repeatedly, terribly gassed and hurt, and the fight ended with him getting punched in the face whilst on his back.

Theres a better case for 50-45 Makhachev than 48-47 Volkanovski.

Makhachev dropped Volkanovski to a knee in the first round, staggered him with a left hook in the second round, and won all of the striking exchanges and controlled him for over half of the fourth round.

Theres no intellectually honest interpretation for Volkanovski winning the fight.

If you'd just stopped with Islam won you'd have been fine. 3 and 5 Volkanovski the rest Islam with the 2nd being the next closest round.
round 3 was close...way closer than round 4 that volk fans were arguing about...I rewatched the fight a few more times...I'd love to give Volk rnd 3 but just can't...

If you'd just stopped with Islam won you'd have been fine. 3 and 5 Volkanovski the rest Islam with the 2nd being the next closest round.
And you're opinion are different than mine...they're not facts...just like mine...

Back