Makhachev Broke Volkanovski

Volkanovski lost nearly all of the striking exchanges, had no case for winning, and was absolutely mentally broken by Makhachev after getting taken down in the fourth round. He doesn’t appear to handle power all that well at 155 nor does he appear able to deal with the threat of the takedown without having his offense effectively muted. The commentators said largely the exact same thing during the fight.

Volkanovski survived the fight but was unable to initiate meaningful offense due to the threat of the takedown. It is wild to see how many genuinely believe Volkanovski fought good when he did nothing but survive the entire fight. During the fourth round, while trapped in a body triangle, he was yelling at Makhachev and his corner instead of trying to escape and get back to his feet; having lost at least two of the first three rounds. If that’s not breaking your opponent what is?

I wonder if the folks pretending Volkanovski won are really just fans who unnecessarily trashed him after his fights with Max? Now they are trashing Makhachev and his triumph over Volkanovski in a perpetual cycle of clownish behavior.

Broken? Which was why he ended the fight on top and punching Makhachev in the face :rolleyes:

round 3 was close...way closer than round 4 that volk fans were arguing about...I rewatched the fight a few more times...I'd love to give Volk rnd 3 but just can't...
Round 4 wasn't close on existing rules, Islam won it, I can understand the frustration as it was largely Volk being held down without Islamreally doing much indeed rarely threatening a sub but he won it, Volk won round 3, don't be like Cleary, he should have been tarred and feathered out of the stadium for that stinker.

I just saw a poll on youtube with thousands of Votes and it was 48% for Volk winning to 41 % for Islam. Media outlets are reporting this as controversial even Luke Thomas, MMA Guru and Jack Slack (sherdogs most respected analysts) said it could have went either way. Volk looked a division and half smaller and ended the fight smashing on an exhausted Dagestani yelling at it him and now he's asking for the rematch and stating he felt he deserved the decision.

Whoever you think won is fine and I even anticipated Makhachev would break Volk in round 3 or 4 and get a submission but....Volkanovski may be the least breakable fighter I have ever seen. He's the greatest fighter on planet earth and his performance going up a division was amazing. This was history we watched and Volkanovski was on the best side of it despite losing.

Broke Volk? You couldn't be more wrong.

Why was he yelling at Makhachev and his corner instead of addressing the body triangle Makhachev had him in, while down at least two rounds, if he was not broken?

He was no longer trying to win the fight man. He was definitely broken at that point.

And you're opinion are different than mine...they're not facts...just like mine...
If you think Round 3 was close enough to give to Islam then Round 2 suddenly falls into the questionable category as well where Volk could have been given the round and nigh on made it a toss up.

Why was he yelling at Makhachev and his corner instead of addressing the body triangle Makhachev had him in, while down at least two rounds, if he was not broken?

He was no longer trying to win the fight man. He was definitely broken at that point.

He wasn't broken, he was frustrated. Breaking someone means beating them up, usually getting a win by finish in doing so. Even Islam doesn't think he broke Volk.

If you think Round 3 was close enough to give to Islam then Round 2 suddenly falls into the questionable category as well where Volk could have been given the round and nigh on made it a toss up.
I would...round 2 was close as well...but islam also landed the more effective strikes...

Do you honestly think there is a single person at 145 or 155 that is getting out of a back mount with body triangle from an extremely high level grappler like Makhachev?

They both know he was going nowhere. He did nothing but hold him there for much of the round.

Volkanovski lost nearly all of the striking exchanges, had no case for winning, and was absolutely mentally broken by Makhachev after getting taken down in the fourth round. He doesn’t appear to handle power all that well at 155 nor does he appear able to deal with the threat of the takedown without having his offense effectively muted. The commentators said largely the exact same thing during the fight.

Volkanovski survived the fight but was unable to initiate meaningful offense due to the threat of the takedown. It is wild to see how many genuinely believe Volkanovski fought good when he did nothing but survive the entire fight. During the fourth round, while trapped in a body triangle, he was yelling at Makhachev and his corner instead of trying to escape and get back to his feet; having lost at least two of the first three rounds. If that’s not breaking your opponent what is?

I wonder if the folks pretending Volkanovski won are really just fans who unnecessarily trashed him after his fights with Max? Now they are trashing Makhachev and his triumph over Volkanovski in a perpetual cycle of clownish behavior.

This is how blinding bias is

Bias turns people into literal morons

He wasn't broken, he was frustrated. Breaking someone means beating them up, usually getting a win by finish in doing so. Even Islam doesn't think he broke Volk.

Breaking someone means one opponent has gotten another to accept defeat sometimes that means they will allow themselves to be finished. Volkanovski accepted Makhachev was going to beat him after he was taken down in the fourth round. Thats why he was yelling at Makhachev and his corner, instead of addressing the body triangle he was trapped in, he was trying to save face not win the fight.

Surviving a fight does mean a fighter was not broken. You are taking "broken" too literally.

Last edited:
Breaking someone means one opponent has gotten another to accept defeat sometimes that means they will allow themselves to be finished. Volkanovski accepted Makhachev was going to beat him after he was taken down in the fourth round. Thats why he was yelling at Makhachev and his corner, instead of addressing the body triangle he was trapped in, he was trying to save face not win the fight.

He just couldn't figure out how to address a high side body triangle against the cage so he couldn't turn and make it a low side body triangle. If he'd tried to address it with his hands Islam probably chokes him. There's nothing broken about surviving a round and intending to try and finish in the next one.

That was Islam's hardest fight to date, harder than Tsaryukan and his flash KO. Volk looked ready to go s couple of more rounds while Islam looked like this at the end of the fight:

IMG-4625.jpg

Niether man was broken, but the one who looked closest to it post fight was Islam, no doubt.

I am a big Islam fan, but Alex did really well, lets not rubbish Alex, since he got beat by a stud.

People need to stop viewing a body triangle as dominating a fighter lol. You think a body triangle broke Volk while Volk was talking shit and punching Islam while he was in the body triangle? Body triangle is a position that most grapplers use to stall the round and try to win strictly on positional control. That's not domination LMFAO. Grapplers that view that position as domination need to start focusing on damage and not just control/stalling. If Volk is talking shit during that position, that's not domination. That means nothing is going on to shut Volk up and prevent him from talking shit and throwing punches from that position. If you are really dominating a fighter they are unable to talk shit because they are just taking damage. That's what domination is.

f64c63bf-897e-41b2-a55c-2e581accba47-jpeg.968193

I just saw a poll on youtube with thousands of Votes and it was 48% for Volk winning to 41 % for Islam. Media outlets are reporting this as controversial even Luke Thomas, MMA Guru and Jack Slack (sherdogs most respected analysts) said it could have went either way. Volk looked a division and half smaller and ended the fight smashing on an exhausted Dagestani yelling at him and now he's asking for the rematch and stating he felt he deserved the decision.

Whoever you think won is fine and I even anticipated Makhachev would break Volk in round 3 or 4 and get a submission but....Volkanovski may be the least breakable fighter I have ever seen. He's the greatest fighter on planet earth and his performance going up a division was amazing. This was history we watched and Volkanovski was on the best side of it despite losing.

Broke Volk? You couldn't be more wrong.

A poll on YouTube, and you gave it enough validity to bring it here? Lol

Back