GOAT Rankings. Just our individual Sher-expert opinions. March Update.

• GSP
• Fedor
• Aldo
• Anderson
• Big Nog
• Jones
• MM
• Hughes
• Wanderlei
• Henderson

<Kpop01>
Well aside from the fact that it’s a perfectly reasonable time to fall out of prime, Cruz is a bantamweight whose entire style is built around superior footwork and movement, who had a torn ACL in one knee surgically repaired, the cadaver tissue rejected, a new surgery, a new recovery, only to tear the ACL on his other knee, plus his groin, plus plantar fasciitis… not to mention the shoulder injury. But all of that is just no biggie, right? I mean, he was so injured he only fought once in 5 years, but I’m sure it didn’t accelerate his decline or anything. Nope, same guy he always was, mMA eVoLuTiOn did him in. :rolleyes:

No bullshit, I saw a post just yesterday that made me think of our convos. The poster was talking about Max Holloway’s obvious decline. Remember when you used to make those lists and include Holloway’s name? I told you Holloway was declining, what—a year, year and a half ago?—and you had full on meltdown. You used to include GloverTeixeira on that list, but not after he got subbed by a Nothing-Belt and then looked very bit his age against Hill, he’s not there anymore, and is retired (as he should be). You used to include Charles Oliveira too. Remember when you told me he was fighting better than he ever has, and I pointed out that his chin is going, he gets dropped every fight, and his striking is wild and sloppy now? I haven’t watched Islam vs Oliveira so don’t spoil it for me—did Charles get dropped yet again and absolutely trucked? I have a feeling he did. ;)
Why do you want to keep playing this game?

And there’s no point in even trying to debate Cruz vs Cejudo, we’ll just go in circles. Cejudo had a nice game plan. Could a younger version of Cejudo have done that to that version of Dom? We’ll never know. Could that version of Cejudo implement that against peak Cruz? We’ll never know.
Point #2

I don’t either. In all seriousness, I think that’s an unfair accusation. If I rank HWs, Stipe is #2. If I rank FWs, Volk is #2 (and still going). At LW, Khabib replaced BJ Penn at one point on my list, and actually after looking at it closer I’ve dropped BJ TO #3.
I actually mentioned that if Volk beats Islam, I’ll have to look very hard at whether Volk has cracked my top 10 all time.
My list is not static.
It also doesn’t change daily like the Soup of the Day at Denny’s.

After all our debates, you should know full well this isn’t true.
Perception of skill set” is a terrible ranking criteria, almost entirely subjective, and this is why so many of your rankings don’t make sense.
Let’s pretend you’re right about Fedor losing to Werdum solely because of poor fight IQ, Bigfoot solely because he’s undersized, etc.
Ok fine.
—12 ranked wins, with 11 unique opponents.
—7 total title wins
—5 total title defenses (which I weight, giving PRIDE defenses the same significance as UFC defenses, and WAMMA defenses similar to Strikeforce, DREAM, Bellator, etc).
—5 former/future UFC champs beaten in that run
—Undefeated while attaining those stats

Those are the metrics.
Stipe didn’t surpass that.
Ngannou didn’t surpass that.
Gane, JDS, Cain, Cormier, whoever—they didn’t surpass that.
That’s what matters.
Many fighters have had injuries and layoffs and came back than they were before. Was Dom better or worse before the layoff is just a speculation without a definitive conclusion. Stop acting like it’s a fact that he was worse. What’s a fact though, that he had the same style and the weaknesses that were exploited by Cody and Cejudo throughout his career. So actually my theory has more ground than yours.

So one poster suggested Max might be slowing down and now that’s a fact? Wow, you don’t need much to prove your theories, fiction is enough. Max had his best performance ever against Kattar and beat Yair, who’s one of the best guys in the division and has showed huge improvement in his last fights. Just look at what he did to Emmet. Max didn’t look as good against Volk in their 3rd fight, because Volk extended the lead he had on Max. I think it’s attributed to their teams. Volk has better coaching staff, better sparring partners and goes to Thailand as well, while Max chills in Hawaii. Volkanovski looked incredible against Islam. Anyway, we’ll see soon where Max is at when he fights Allen.

Oliviera lost to Islam because Islam is the better fighter. Islam would’ve beaten any version of Oliviera. It’s a Khabib vs Tony type of situation.

Glover was still good against Jiri and put up an amazing performance. He took a beating though and I think time caught up to him in the Hill fight. Jamal is a great fighter though, let’s see how he does against guys like Jiri, Ankalaev, Jan and Rakic.

What about Volk, Islam, Leon, Usman and Izzy? All out of prime too?

My list isn’t static but doesn’t change like the soup of the day like you suggest. I can show you my posts from 2-3 years ago and you would see I’m consistent with my reasoning.

Wow, you’re such a hypocrite.

First of all, Stipe has a good argument to be ahead of Fedor, so stop pretending that Fedor is set in stone as HW GOAT.

Title defences:
Stipe 3+1 > Fedor 3

Ranked wins:
Stipe 10 < Fedor 12

Top10 wins:
Stipe 8 < Fedor 10

Record against common opponents:
Stipe 4-0 > Fedor 3-1

They are pretty close in their resumes and definitely you can make an argument for both fighters as the HW GOAT.

But even if we assume that Fedor is the divisional GOAT, by your own criteria ( title defences, ranked wins etc) he’s definitely way behind GSP, Jones, Anderson, DJ. Even Aldo. Fedor is closer to to guys like Khabib, Usman, Izzy and Volk by your own standards. Shouldn’t be ranked higher than #6.

And why you never reply about Aldo? Because deep down you know you’re wrong? After Volk’s performance against Islam, do you honestly believe Aldo is the better fighter?

Last edited:
Many fighters have had injuries and layoffs and came back than they were before. Was Dom better or worse before the layoff is just a speculation without a definitive conclusion. Stop acting like it’s a fact that he was worse. What’s a fact though, that he had the same style and the weaknesses that were exploited by Cody and Cejudo throughout his career. So actually my theory has more ground than yours.

So one poster suggested Max might be slowing down and now that’s a fact? Wow, you don’t need much to prove your theories, fiction is enough. Max had his best performance ever against Kattar and beat Yair, who’s one of the best guys in the division and has showed huge improvement in his last fights. Just look at what he did to Emmet. Max didn’t look as good against Volk in their 3rd fight, because Volk extended the lead he had on Max. I think it’s attributed to their teams. Volk has better coaching staff, better sparring partners and goes to Thailand as well, while Max chills in Hawaii. Volkanovski looked incredible against Islam. Anyway, we’ll see soon where Max is at when he fights Allen.

Oliviera lost to Islam because Islam is the better fighter. Islam would’ve beaten any version of Oliviera. It’s a Khabib vs Tony type of situation.

Glover was still good against Jiri and put up an amazing performance. He took a beating though and I think time caught up to him in the Hill fight. Jamal is a great fighter though, let’s see how he does against guys like Jiri, Ankalaev, Jan and Rakic.

My list isn’t static but doesn’t change like the soup of the day like you suggest. I can show you my posts from 2-3 years ago and you would see I’m consistent with my reasoning.

First of all, Stipe has a good argument to be ahead of Fedor, so stop pretending that Fedor is set in stone as HW GOAT.

Title defences:
Stipe 3+1 > Fedor 3

Ranked wins:
Stipe 10 < Fedor 12

Top10 wins:
Stipe 8 < Fedor 10

Stipe 4-0 > Fedor 3-1

They are pretty close in their resumes and definitely you can make an argument for both fighters as the HW GOAT.

But even if we assume that Fedor is the divisional GOAT, by your own criteria ( title defences, ranked wins etc) he’s definitely way behind GSP, Jones, Anderson, DJ. Even Aldo. Fedor is closer to to guys like Khabib, Usman, Izzy and Volk by your own standards. Shouldn’t be ranked higher than #6.

And why you never reply about Aldo? Because deep down you know you’re wrong? After Volk’s performance against Islam, do you honestly believe Aldo is the better fighter?
@BFoe

upload_2023-2-13_2-38-15.jpeg

Title defences:
Stipe 3+1 > Fedor 3

Ranked wins:
Stipe 10 < Fedor 12

Top10 wins:
Stipe 8 < Fedor 10

Stipe 4-0 > Fedor 3-1

User Name checks out... ;)

1 - Fedor

2 - 4 - GSP - Aldo - Anderson
5 - DJ
6 - Hendo
7 - Werdum
8 - Cruz
9 - Big Nog
10 - Cejudo.

Jones would be #2 but his career is too dirty to even be ranked.

Look at that: a wannabe GOATtalker stealing lines from a wannabe GOAT. <Lmaoo>
How appropriate.

Title defences:
Stipe 3+1 > Fedor 3

Ranked wins:
Stipe 10 < Fedor 12

Top10 wins:
Stipe 8 < Fedor 10

Stipe 4-0 > Fedor 3-1

I’m at work so I’ll have to cover this somewhat quickly.
STIPE/FEDOR
  • Stipe does NOT have an argument for being ahead of Fedor, by any metric.
  • Ranked wins means Top 10 wins. Are you counting Top 15s for Stipe for some reason? Stipe has 8 ranked wins. It’s telling that at a time when there were no org-specific rankings, and a ranked win for Fedor means Top 10 in the world—Fedor has more top 10 wins than Stipe has top 15.
  • Not including Fedor’s 2 title defenses in an org that had an equal HW division to the UFC, and the title win and first defense were over the #5 and #2 ranked fighters in the world respectively simply because the letters “U-F-C” weren’t on the belt, is nothing but bias.
CRUZ
Oh boy. Spare me the “lots of people come back from injuries” bs. Very few fighters have the types of injuries that Cruz did. Mir’s motorcycle accident and Cain’s litany of injuries come to mind, and neither was the same once they returned. But I’m not surprised that you deny it, as you refuse to acknowledge Cain’s as well so that you can prop up Ngannou’s thin resume.

ALDO
Aldo is a more complicated situation, that’s why I left it alone.
  • Jose’s 2nd FW title came about because he fought another fighter (Frankie) who was even older, with similar mileage, and whom Aldo matches up well with and defeated previously.
  • Aldo had to drop weight classes to try and stay at championship level. He even lost the BW title eliminator, but since Dana felt he won he gave Aldo the shot, and Aldo fell short. After the Conor fight, Aldo was done fighting at the FW championship level, and really wasn’t quite at the BW championship level either.
MY GOAT CRITERIA

I have never said, “Whomever has the most ranked wins and title defenses, wins!” Each of my divisional GOATs has something in common: what they achieved has never been surpassed by any other fighter in that division. That’s why they’re GOATs. The one asterisk is Khabib*, as other LWs have had similar metrics, but never in an undefeated run like he did.

Each of us has to make our own determination as to how to rank that. For me, i think it’s much harder to put together the streak and metrics thar Fedor did at heavyweight than any other division; particularly when having to deal with 10 minute first rounds, legal stomps, soccer kicks, and knees to the head of a grounded opponent. But that’s a subjective thing. No matter how many stats or metrics we use, there’s no Unifed Rules of GOAT ranking, and we have to make our own subjective measurements to some extent.

Look at that: a wannabe GOATtalker stealing lines from a wannabe GOAT. <Lmaoo>
How appropriate.

I’m at work so I’ll have to cover this somewhat quickly.
STIPE/FEDOR
  • Stipe does NOT have an argument for being ahead of Fedor, by any metric.
  • Ranked wins means Top 10 wins. Are you counting Top 15s for Stipe for some reason? Stipe has 8 ranked wins. It’s telling that at a time when there were no org-specific rankings, and a ranked win for Fedor means Top 10 in the world—Fedor has more top 10 wins than Stipe has top 15.
  • Not including Fedor’s 2 title defenses in an org that had an equal HW division to the UFC, and the title win and first defense were over the #5 and #2 ranked fighters in the world respectively simply because the letters “U-F-C” weren’t on the belt, is nothing but bias.
CRUZ
Oh boy. Spare me the “lots of people come back from injuries” bs. Very few fighters have the types of injuries that Cruz did. Mir’s motorcycle accident and Cain’s litany of injuries come to mind, and neither was the same once they returned. But I’m not surprised that you deny it, as you refuse to acknowledge Cain’s as well so that you can prop up Ngannou’s thin resume.

ALDO
Aldo is a more complicated situation, that’s why I left it alone.
  • Jose’s 2nd FW title came about because he fought another fighter (Frankie) who was even older, with similar mileage, and whom Aldo matches up well with and defeated previously.
  • Aldo had to drop weight classes to try and stay at championship level. He even lost the BW title eliminator, but since Dana felt he won he gave Aldo the shot, and Aldo fell short. After the Conor fight, Aldo was done fighting at the FW championship level, and really wasn’t quite at the BW championship level either.
MY GOAT CRITERIA

I have never said, “Whomever has the most ranked wins and title defenses, wins!” Each of my divisional GOATs has something in common: what they achieved has never been surpassed by any other fighter in that division. That’s why they’re GOATs. The one asterisk is Khabib*, as other LWs have had similar metrics, but never in an undefeated run like he did.

Each of us has to make our own determination as to how to rank that. For me, i think it’s much harder to put together the streak and metrics thar Fedor did at heavyweight than any other division; particularly when having to deal with 10 minute first rounds, legal stomps, soccer kicks, and knees to the head of a grounded opponent. But that’s a subjective thing. No matter how many stats or metrics we use, there’s no Unifed Rules of GOAT ranking, and we have to make our own subjective measurements to some extent.
Lol, you contradict yourself on every word and you’re also a liar.

Stipe beats Fedor on at least 2 metrics: title defences and common opposition. And we both know that WAMMA shit don’t count, so don’t even bother mentioning that. Just like no one considers Ben Askren a GOAT tier fighter, because of his Bellator/One titles.

When comparing Fedor/Stipe’s resumes I used FightMatrix rankings. The number of their top10 and top15 wins are very close.

Every time when we discuss Volk/Aldo you always fall back on the number of title defences as decisive argument, because Volk is clearly better everywhere else.

Yet when we talk about Fedor, he’s magically the GOAT although having only 3 defences.

Objectively speaking he has nothing on GSP, Jones, Anderson, DJ.

The majority of MMA world thinks that way and he’s even not the GOAT here on Sherdog, despite his semi-religious fanatics on this site.

Tapology GOAT rankings:

B29217A2-2C59-4DC1-A394-76D6ADFEBD44.jpeg

FightMatrix:

23E39029-4572-4CDE-94C2-8496121AA35D.jpeg

Sherdog:

FD9B6E91-1A97-4012-B9B9-73C99CC67435.jpeg

You’ve proved that you’re just a nostalgic PRIDE fanboy, living in delusion, pretending to be fact and reason based

Lol, you contradict yourself on every word and you’re also a liar.

Stipe beats Fedor on at least 2 metrics: title defences and common opposition. And we both know that WAMMA shit don’t count, so don’t even bother mentioning that. Just like no one considers Ben Askren a GOAT tier fighter, because of his Bellator/One titles.

When comparing Fedor/Stipe’s resumes I used FightMatrix rankings. The number of their top10 and top15 wins are very close.

Every time when we discuss Volk/Aldo you always fall back on the number of title defences as decisive argument, because Volk is clearly better everywhere else.

Yet when we talk about Fedor, he’s magically the GOAT although having only 3 defences.

Objectively speaking he has nothing on GSP, Jones, Anderson, DJ.

The majority of MMA world thinks that way and he’s even not the GOAT here on Sherdog, despite his semi-religious fanatics on this site.

Tapology GOAT rankings:

View attachment 968454

FightMatrix:

View attachment 968455

Sherdog:

View attachment 968456

You’ve proved that you’re just a nostalgic PRIDE fanboy, living in delusion, pretending to be fact and reason based
Stipe doesn’t beat Fedor on the title defense metric, and “common opponents” isn’t a metric I use, because it’s stupid and meaningless.

Stipe doesn’t beat Fedor on the title defense metric, and “common opponents” isn’t a metric I use, because it’s stupid and meaningless.
He does actually, Stipe has 4, Fedor has 3.

Common opponents is one of the most important metrics TBH, together with H2H competition. It’s the only 2 metrics that actually compares the fighters.
You just don’t like it, because all of your favourite fighters suck at it

Is there a top 5 or top 10 we can all agree on? Nope. No need to get bent if a UFC guy ranks UFC guys higher... or Bellator guys... or OG Pride / Strikeforce guys.

I doubt there is anyone on here, not trolling that even has the same top 10 as myself.

1 GSP
2 Fedor
3 Jones
4 Anderson
5 Khabib
6 DJ
7 Hendo
8 Stipe
9 Aldo
10 DC
pretty good list. i think volk has to be there somewhere now though. khabib will always be questionable for me due to shortness of career and questionable resume. i might swap those two, but the rest looks pretty good.

and fyi, BJ maniacs are going to try to insert him somewhere, as well. if they don't i'll be surprised.

He does actually, Stipe has 4, Fedor has 3.
5-4 bud, and it took Stipe 2 title reigns to get that far. Sorry!
Common opponents is one of the most important metrics TBH, together with H2H competition. It’s the only 2 metrics that actually compares the fighters.
You just don’t like, because all of your favourite fighters suck at it
Lol common opponents is one of the most important? <45>
<22>
I couldn’t even comment on how that “metric” looks for my favorite fighters, because it’s totally meaningless and not something I would ever care to look at. But hey, let’s look at how super importantly awesome it is.

—Nate Diaz got 50-45ed (and 50-43ed) by Benson Henderson, whereas Anthony Pettis beat Benson twice, including once by finish. Guess Pettis is “better” than Nate. Derp. Of course that’s not what happened when they fought at all, Nate beat Pettis up and 30-27ed him. Would I rank Pettis higher all time? Of course, but it’s because of what he’s accomplished on my metrics. Yours are meaningless here, it’s not an accurate predictor of who’s “better” at all.

—Brian Ebersole finished Hallman in the first round, while Matt Hughes lost to Hallman twice. So, Ebersole over Hughes all time? Lol no.

—Overeem finished Stefan Struve, and Struve finished Stipe, so I guess that means Overeem is better and we should rank him higher? Of course, Stipe beat Overeem, and no one ranks Overeem higher. In fact, no one would rank Overeem higher even if they didn’t go H2H, and that’s the point.

—Amanda Nunes has losses to 3 different fighters that Ronda destroyed. Guess Ronda is better and we should rank her higher. In fact, since Holly KOed Ronda and Miesha finished Holly, I guess that makes Miesha the GOAT! Fucking hell.

You use common opponents as a metric to compare fighters who never went head to head, and as I’ve just demonstrated, it’s not a reliable predictor. It doesn’t account for:
—bad style matchups
—fluke wins/losses
—cage or ring
—various rulesets
—-ages of fighters
—injuries they may have suffered

Additionally, if you are trying to compare fighters fighting in the same division and same era for a long enough time, they’ll just have alternating wins and losses to common opponents, like the Rose-Joanna example I gave you awhile back.
Do I need to go on? Trying to determine who is better using common opponents is a child’s way of thinking. Actually, that’s probably an insult to children, I’m sure there are some smart ones who would see how illogical it is.

Is there a top 5 or top 10 we can all agree on? Nope. No need to get bent if a UFC guy ranks UFC guys higher... or Bellator guys... or OG Pride / Strikeforce guys.

I doubt there is anyone on here, not trolling that even has the same top 10 as myself.

1 GSP
2 Fedor
3 Jones
4 Anderson
5 Khabib
6 DJ
7 Hendo
8 Stipe
9 Aldo
10 DC

Post yours and find your long lost Sher-brother
1.jon bones jones all time record
2.anderson silva mw record
3.alexander volk fw record
4.fedor 10 year reign hw record
5. Jose aldo fw record
6.gsp ww record
7.bj penn lw record 4 defences no lw has beaten
8.stipe hw record 4 defences
9.usmen streak ufc
10.islam makhachev streak ufc

1.jon bones jones all time record
2.anderson silva mw record
3.alexander volk fw record
4.fedor 10 year reign hw record
5. Jose aldo fw record
6.gsp ww record
7.bj penn lw record 4 defences no lw has beaten
8.stipe hw record 4 defences
9.usmen streak ufc
10.islam makhachev streak ufc
sure could swap a few out but I go by title defences first and a ufc streak second and they need to of had the belt to make my list

sure could swap a few out but I go by title defences first and a ufc streak second and they need to of had the belt to make my list

Dont have khabib cause he only defended 3 or 4 times and jb penn already did that first he had a decent win streak 13 and 0 ufc at lw but islam has a longer one

1 GSP
2 Fedor
3 Jones
4 Khabib
5 Volk
6 Anderson
7 DJ
8 Aldo
9 Usman
10 DC

Jones has the potential to leap everyone, as does Volk with more work at the top

pretty good list. i think volk has to be there somewhere now though. khabib will always be questionable for me due to shortness of career and questionable resume. i might swap those two, but the rest looks pretty good.

and fyi, BJ maniacs are going to try to insert him somewhere, as well. if they don't i'll be surprised.

BJ maniac or not, for a full-decade (around 2002-2012) BJ was widely considered one of p4p bests and particularly better then Hendo who is in that top10 you agree on.

1 GSP
2 Fedor
3 Jones
4 Khabib
5 Volk
6 Anderson
7 DJ
8 Aldo
9 Usman
10 DC

Jones has the potential to leap everyone, as does Volk with more work at the top

Khabib and Volk above Silva and Johnson is just nonsense. Noob stuff

btw

- Official sherdog p4p rankings during GSP championship years:

2012 - Silva #1
https://www.sherdog.com/news/rankings/Sherdogcoms-PoundforPound-Top-10-45047

2011 - Silva #1
https://www.sherdog.com/news/rankings/Sherdogcoms-PoundforPound-Top-10-36383

2010 - Silva #1
https://www.sherdog.com/news/rankings/Sherdogcoms-PoundforPound-Top-10-23166

2009 - Silva #1
https://www.sherdog.com/news/rankings/Sherdogcoms-PoundforPound-Top-10-17145

2008 - Silva #1
https://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/GSP-Moves-Up-P4P-List-But-Not-to-Top-12459

2010 GSP p4p #1
https://www.sherdog.com/news/rankings/Sherdogcoms-PoundforPound-Top-10-28930

2011 GSP p4p #1
https://www.sherdog.com/news/rankings/Sherdogcoms-PoundforPound-Top-10-31030

GOAT rankings :

GSP #1
https://www.tapology.com/rankings/top-ten-all-time-greatest-mma-and-ufc-fighters

GSP #1
https://mmasucka.com/2020/06/02/goat-of-mma/

GSP #1
https://www.fightmatrix.com/all-time-mma-rankings/all-time-absolute/

GSP #1 tied with Khabib
https://www.givemesport.com/1672105-mcgregor-khabib-jones-stpierre-nunes-ufc-goat-contenders-ranked

GSP #1 tied with Jones
https://www.sportbible.com/ufc/news-ufc-and-mma-fighters-ranked-from-goat-to-not-a-fighter-20201121

Latest GOAT poll conducted among fighters (survey among 170 mma fighters) : GSP #1
https://theathletic.com/1856943/2020/06/05/fighters-vote-mma-goat-pound-for-pound-best/

Sherdog's all time goat poll : GSP #1
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/all-time-goat-poll.3916359/page-232#post-167971276

Not sure why Silva and Jones are mentioned. They're great to watch, I enjoy their fights and I certainly don't ''hate'' them. In any pro sport, if you piss hot, your achievements are void.

In terms of career from A to Z, the #1 spot undeniably goes to GSP. No one had a career close to his:

26-2
all losses avenged
MW champ x1
WW champ x11
most top 5 wins
most top 10 wins

Shields was on a 15-0 win streak
Condit was on a 13-1 streak
Diaz was on a 11-1 streak
Hendricks was on a 15-1 streak
Hughes was on a 19-1 streak
Bisping was coming off a 5-0 streak, including wins over Rockhold, Silva and Henderson

These 6 wins alone were opponents riding a 78-4 streaks at championship levels.

Fedor's run on its own is absolutely insane (2000-2010) going 31-0 (cut doesn't count). After that he went 9-6 sadly, most wins being vs cans.
Silva's MW run going 17-0 is also extremely impressive (2006-2012). Too bad he went 1-7-1 at the end of his career and used illegal substances.
Jones is 27-0 (Hamill's loss doesn't count), but he was arguably on steroids his whole career.

DC, MM, Aldo are honorable mentions.

Back