News Jailton Almeida vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik set for May 13th

Who Wins?

• Total voters
Nice to finally get that step up in competition

i don’t know who can stop Almeida frankly, my guess is it will be another easy win for him

There are a lot of poor stylistic match-ups for Almeida ahead of him in the rankings. This match-up here has its pitfalls even if I narrowly favor Jailton. I'm not sold on him becoming champ at Heavyweight. Top 5? ...maybe, but even that's not assured depending on who he fights to be honest.

It's hard for me to picture him beating Blaydes, Spivak, or a healthy Aspinall. We need to see a little more on the defensive grappling improvements of Gane and Pavlovich, but I would probably favor either of those guys over him as well. Hell, I'd pick Volkov to at least give him pause -- his performance against Tom notwithstanding, the guy is usually a pretty tough customer when it comes to taking him down and finishing him.

I don't trust on Jailton's striking defense, so I think he should be really careful standing and take the fight to the ground like he always does.

There are a lot of poor stylistic match-ups for Almeida ahead of him in the rankings. This match-up here has its pitfalls even if I narrowly favor Jailton. I'm not sold on him becoming champ at Heavyweight. Top 5? ...maybe, but even that's not assured depending on who he fights to be honest.

It's hard for me to picture him beating Blaydes, Spivak, or a healthy Aspinall. We need to see a little more on the defensive grappling improvements of Gane and Pavlovich, but I would probably favor either of those guys over him as well. Hell, I'd pick Volkov to at least give him pause -- his performance against Tom notwithstanding, the guy is usually a pretty tough customer when it comes to taking him down and finishing him.

Yes, I don't really think Jailton is champion material, to be honest. Most of his recent matchups favored him on the grappling department.

Fucks sake, Jailton. Good fight like but I just can't be arsed.

Why are we not getting Jairzinho vs Lewis?

BTW.. if Almeida smokes Jairzinho he should be thrown at a top 5 dude.

I guess this makes sense then but for his next fight I want to see him get tested. I don't think this fight will teach us something new about Jailton. He will snap kick get the takedown and finish Rozenstruik.

While I personally think this will be one of Almeida's most challenging fights with some serious potential to derail him, I do agree with the general premise here. It's really odd matchmaking at work if you think about it.

At some point or another Almeida has to fight a legitimate grappler. Now, to his credit, he faced several grapplers with solid pedigrees at lower weights: Nasrudinov, Marques, and Turkalj are all decent wins against guys with good grappling bases. But at Heavyweight... Parker Porter? Not so much. Shamil was at one time a pretty good grappler (Dagestani, been training and competing in freestyle wrestling since he was a kid) but he stopped using that in his fights years ago and he's in his 40s now. Blaydes outwrestled Shamil and exposed his lack of defensive grappling years ago in brutal fashion.

I thought a sensible step up would have been for Almeida to face Romanov. Almeida is #14 coming off a win. Romanov is #13 coming off a loss (probably should've been a draw, but that's inconsequential). Romanov is a strong dude with a potent wrestling game who has pretty much lost his prospect shine until he shows some major improvements... so why not make it happen? Either way we learn something about both guys.

Instead Almeida is getting Rozenstruik (#9 coming off a win) while Romanov gets gifted #8 Volkov... who beat Rozenstruik in his last outing. In what world does that make sense? Are they just treating it as if Romanov's last fight didn't happen? He's coming off a loss yet gets a shot at a Top 10 guy who's coming off a win instead of having to defend his rank for some reason. But I digress...

Last edited:
Jairzinho's takedown defense is better than folks would think, if all they knew about him was his kickboxing background, but I don't see this going any different than any other of Almeida's fights in the UFC.

Bigi Boi is probably doing the UFC a solid taking this matchup, so it shouldn't hurt his stock in the long-run, I cant imagine too many fighters are agreeing to fight Jailton.

I also wouldn't be shocked if Jailton is UFC HW champion by the end of 2023. Fighters don't get matchups like this unless the UFC is intent on pushing them to the top.

Almeida has looked amazing. I would say Rozenstriuk still isn't the fight he deserves. He needs to be tested as high as he can. I have no idea why UFC moves these guys who look unstoppable so slowly up the ranks.

Jairzinho's takedown defense is better than folks would think, if all they knew about him was his kickboxing background, but I don't see this going any different than any other of Almeida's fights in the UFC.

Bigi Boi is probably doing the UFC a solid taking this matchup, so it shouldn't hurt his stock in the long-run, I cant imagine too many fighters are agreeing to fight Jailton.

I also wouldn't be shocked if Jailton is UFC HW champion by the end of 2023. Fighters don't get matchups like this unless the UFC is intent on pushing them to the top.

Agreed on the first bit, but I would be profoundly surprised if Almeida ends up UFC Heavyweight champion and I say that as a massive fan of the guy. IMO he has a much higher ceiling at 205 than at HW. There are some rough fights for him at Heavyweight and the size disparity was apparent in both the Porter and Shamil fights, if only briefly.

Almeida has looked amazing. I would say Rozenstriuk still isn't the fight he deserves. He needs to be tested as high as he can. I have no idea why UFC moves these guys who look unstoppable so slowly up the ranks.

677f01e9dbf663e10b54400a63663e8f.png

Who would you give him and why? Jailton Almeida is #14 right now. I was going to give him Romanov who's just one slot ahead of him and coming off a loss. Way more justifiable. Rozenstruik is #9 and coming off a win. He's defending his rank despite having a case to fight up the ranks right now. Daukaus and Lewis are ahead of Almeida and coming off losses as well, but they're below Rozenstruik and would be even easier fights I imagine. Tybura is right below Rozenstruik on a win streak. Volkov is booked and coming off a win. Spivak is on a win streak at #7 and just "fought". Aspinall isn't healthy yet. Tuivasa needs to play gatekeeper, but do you really think Jailton has earned a Top 5 shot over everyone else I just mentioned?

Huge step up in competition for Jail Town.

Can we get him a HW with a lil bit of TDD? This is just a waste of time.
Rozen has good TDD (TD Def.: 75%), more than Gane, Blaydes, Volkov and Lewis according to the ufcstats.com.

Last edited:
rozenstruik by ko.. he improved his td training in america top team... I dont think jailton is that strong he is jacked for sure

Solid step up in competition for Almeida. I favor him, but not by much; this could end up being where ends up getting derailed and it wouldn't overly surprise me. Rozenstruik's defensive grappling is a bit underrated. He stuffed half of Blaydes's takedowns, kept Curtis from advancing position or raining down any sort of punishing GnP, and caught him with a nasty intercepting knee during a second round double-leg attempt that could have easily led to a doctor's stoppage given more time. Gane went 2 for 14 on TDs against Jairzinho, with Rozenstruik fending off his lazy back-take/RNC attempt pretty easily. Reem went 2 for 10 on takedowns, but he was able to hold Jairzinho on his back for an extended period when he did get him down.

Jailton likes to run out and meet his opponent in the center and throw a wild strike or two prior to shooting. In his last outing he got cracked hard by Shamil off a caught kick for doing so. That kind of opening frame could lead to him getting killed by Jairzinho who has the death touch. Almeida got one-punched and knocked out cold sixteen seconds into the first round back on the regional scene, though that was a while ago.

In any case, I'll hesitantly back Almeida to get Rozenstruik down and finish him on the mat inside of two rounds. I think his shots are sufficiently well-timed and set up that he'll inevitably take Jairzinho down. Bigi Boy sometimes looks a bit like a fish out of water off his back and tends to go into a defensive shell when guys put pressure on him standing. That said, Rozenstruik's size advantage, potential ability to explode back to his feet like Shamil did, and his power & timing to exploit Jailton's questionable striking tendencies all worry me.

All in all, even if Jailton passes this test I'm still not sold on him at Heavyweight.

The main difference between Jailton snd Blaydes is speed.
The speed on the TD I believe will make the difference sir.

Jailton can crack too, so maybe he fakes the TD and throws a Hendo bomb lol.

I’m down. Jailton by beautiful murder on the ground. The sooner the dark ages of bar-room K1 HW ends, the better.

The main difference between Jailton snd Blaydes is speed.
The speed on the TD I believe will make the difference sir.

Jailton can crack too, so maybe he fakes the TD and throws a Hendo bomb lol.

I dunno. Blaydes has shown himself to be pretty fast at times, though I do agree Jailton is probably a bit faster. I've previously talked up how Curtis's offensive grappling has deteriorated over the years, but even so he's still Heavyweight's most prolific takedown artist and Curtis has like ~30 pounds of lean muscle on Almeida and is incredibly strong. Not to mention that Blaydes is a legitimate striker who poses a serious threat on the feet with his boxing and Muay Thai while Jailton just kinda loads up and throws wild, telegraphed shots (I call it "car crash striking" lol). Hence Almeida getting countered hard by Shamil in the opening frame when he decided to throw a naked body kick before deciding to wrestle and even then he couldn't hold Shamil down until he gassed out.

I favor Jailton still because of the explosiveness and timing on his takedowns along with his proven ability to score mat returns before ultimately sealing the deal on the ground versus Rozenstruik's suspect bottom game and lackadaisical response to pressure... but I still think this match-up has a lot of potential pitfalls for the prospect.

Last edited:
Agreed on the first bit, but I would be profoundly surprised if Almeida ends up UFC Heavyweight champion and I say that as a massive fan of the guy. IMO he has a much higher ceiling at 205 than at HW. There are some rough fights for him at Heavyweight and the size disparity was apparent in both the Porter and Shamil fights, if only briefly.

The only slightly unfavorable matchup imo is Marcin Tybura since we know he can defend himself on the ground, can wrestle offensively and defensively, and still fight hard after a round of being the nail. Tybura doesn't really possess traditional heavyweight knockout power so it is a less dangerous matchup in other respects. I think Gane could potentially present problems because of his movement, conditioning, size, and the fact he can wrestle a bit but it would be a tough fight to call.

Who do you see as a rough matchup for him?

I dunno. Blaydes has shown himself to be pretty fast at times, though I do agree Jailton is probably a bit faster. I've previously talked up Curtis's offensive grappling has deteriorated over the years, but even so he's still Heavyweight's most prolific takedown artist and Curtis has like ~30 pounds of lean muscle on Almeida and is incredibly strong. Not to mention that Blaydes is a legitimate striker who poses a serious threat on the feet with his boxing and Muay Thai while Jailton just kinda loads up and throws wild, telegraphed shots (I call it "car crash striking" lol). Hence Almeida getting countered hard by Shamil in the opening frame when he decided to throw a naked body kick before deciding to wrestle and even then he couldn't hold Shamil down until he gassed out.

I favor Jailton still because of the explosiveness and timing on his takedowns along with his proven ability to score mat returns before ultimately sealing the deal on the ground versus Rozenstruik's suspect bottom game and lackadaisical response to pressure... but I still think this match-up has a lot of potential pitfalls for the prospect.

I like that..(car crash striking) lol.

Blaydes is one of my favorite fighters but he looks like he's going through the motions sometimes (a lot Khalil, another one of my favorite guys,).

He doesn't always move with purpose and sometimes makes things harder than they need to be.
Look what he did to Overeem, he could probably GNP everyone like that, but decides position is more important.

Jailton goes in there to end the fight, and that might give him the edge here.
I do agree that he needs to be super careful here because Rozen can turn the lights off quick like.

Back