Social You're in your 30s, do you have a house or a familly ?

Versez

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Let's get it straight, having a family and a house in your 30s is not the dream anymore, used to be in the 50s to mid 2000s, things have changed, millenial wish more of travelling, focusing on their career have experiencing things in life.

Yes to both. (Not to humble brag) I'm pretty much the only one in my family in my generation to have both!

It's actually very rare nowadays for folks under 40 to be married with children and a white picket house. Many in their 30s still live at home with their parents or are renting.

As someone with no kids who will be 40 at the end of the year I can tell you it does start to bother you a little. You notice your friends that have them hang out and stop inviting you to stuff and you are stuck hanging out with the ones who don't who are usually weirdo couples or perpetually single drunks.

I don't think owning a home will be considered the norm in your 30s anymore.

It’s also not very attainable to have an above average quality of life and have to work for a living. Almost like there must be some correlations here?

They'll be fucked when they hit 60 still paying rent. You gotta have your mortgage paid off before you turn 55, and have been contributing to your 401k for the last 35 years.

People have no idea how much it sucks to be broke when you're old.

You gotta have it rough when you're young with less health issues, so you can have it easier when you're old with multiple severe health conditions.

In my 30s, house, wife, and motorcycles. Not interested in a family but early retirement for sure

They'll be fucked when they hit 60 still paying rent.

It varies a lot around the world, but in many (if not most) circunstances it's more financially efficient to pay rent and invest the money than buying a house and pay mortgage.

I was 27 or 28 when we had our first kid. Had a maisonette at that stage.

No and no. I have the money for a down payment, but housing market is still overpriced and interest rates have skyrocketed so terrible time to buy.

Also don't want kids.

They'll be fucked when they hit 60 still paying rent. You gotta have your mortgage paid off before you turn 55, and have been contributing to your 401k for the last 35 years.

People have no idea how much it sucks to be broke when you're old.

You gotta have it rough when you're young with less health issues, so you can have it easier when you're old with multiple severe health conditions.
I beat this drum all the time. Up until 4 years ago it was actually really easy to get a house in Halifax Nova Scotia. Lots of programs like RRSP first time homebuyer loans(Which incidentally doubles over as retirement savings) and such.

My friends I tried to talk into it 5 years ago who "didn't want to be tied down to 1 place" are now fucking livid with skyrocketing rent and housing costs because they can't afford to do anything but just squeak by every month. Rent essentially doubled over the last decade(75% of it in the last 4 years), and even when I first bought my house, my 2 bedroom apartment was more expensive than my Mortgage. Now my friends are in 2 bedroom apartments that cost $2100+ a month with only heat and hot water included and my Mortgage is locked in at $1200ish for the next 9 years(only increases when my property tax goes up). I locked in when it became clear they were going to have to increase rates to battle the massive amounts of money printing inflation, despite them saying "that won't happen". it was clear as a neon sign it was going to happen.

Ill be on Government pension when I retire, house paid off and have a separate RRSP(Canadian equivalent of 401k)

Back