Jones vs. Gane is similar to GSP vs. Bisping

Sean_wongster_wongmastter

Double Yellow Card
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
Jones came off a controversial decision win over Reyes and went AWOL.

GSP came off a controversial decision win over Hendricks and went AWOL.

GSP and Jones were both out of their prime, with a long list of decision wins.

GSP decision wins:
upload_2023-2-27_18-33-25.png

Jones decision wins:

upload_2023-2-27_18-34-9.png

Bisping is a bigger striker and one of the weaker MW champions with weak grappling.
Gane is a bigger striker and never been a HW champion with extremely weak grappling.

Even the narrative is very much the same. People doubted GSP due to the long lay off and how he looked against Hendricks. People are doubting Jones due to the long lay off and how he looked against Reyes.

Will Jones choke out Gane?

GSP decision wins:
View attachment 970951

Jones decision wins:

View attachment 970952

Bisping is a bigger striker and one of the weaker MW champions with weak grappling.
Gane is a bigger striker and never been a HW champion with extremely weak grappling.

Even the narrative is very much the same. People doubted GSP due to the long lay off and how he looked against Hendricks. People are doubting Jones due to the long lay off and how he looked against Reyes.

Pretty good comparison.

Let's hope Jones defends his title if he wins, unlike GSP

GSP decision wins:
View attachment 970951

Jones decision wins:

View attachment 970952

Good post, interesting yet logical.

Valid comparison, only the end result remains to be seen. It would be cool that it ends in the same way, Gane getting subbed in 3rd round.

Haha I said the same thing earlier and some clown got his panties in a bunch.

Pretty good comparison.

Let's hope Jones defends his title if he wins, unlike GSP

I don't think he will pull a GSP...or a Conor...I see Jones defending a few before he hangs the gloves up. If he gets past Gane, there are some interesting HW fights for Jon. I don't think the HW roster stands up to the HW's during the Cain era, but I think he can cement his legacy with a few HW defenses.

Not a bad comparison. Both guys avoided moving up like the plague for about a decade, but then made the move once an easier fight presented itself.

Interestingly, although Bisping was the legitimate champion and Gane is not a champion, Gane is better than Bisping was at the time. Gane is a fringe top 5 HW (I'd put him at 5 or 6), whereas Bisping arguably wasn't even one of the 10 best MWs at the time.

GSP has a matchup weakness; with great wrestlers, with big power. Diaz & Condit were able to win a round via strikes. Obviously both had terrible takedown defense.

Hendricks was able to emphatically win the 2nd & 4th due to big power and great takedown defense. Imo, Romero was going to be a tough matchup at 185.

Jon Jones matches up well with Francis, let alone Gane. One has bad takedown defense and the other has bad cardio. As long as Jon isn’t washed, I could see him defending his belt. Stipe is his toughest matchup, imo.

And they both tried to gain muscular body weight but ended up gaining too much fat.

GSP decision wins:
View attachment 970951

Jones decision wins:

View attachment 970952

Interesting comparison but Jones has had multiple questionable decision wins where GSP just had 1.

Also GSP wasn't some massive WW in the way Jones is at LHW with his height and reach.

Jones probably will win via grappling though

It’s ridiculous how everyone is overlooking Gane’s wrestling/grappling, because they can’t accept that Ngannou is actually a great wrestler now. It was obvious in Stipe rematch that Ngannou is a high level wrestler now and he’s strong af. Gane isn’t a bad grappler, he had some nasty submission wins in UFC, his clinch game is one of best in UFC and he has solid TDD. TBH I think Gane runs through Jones and I consider Jones an all time best fighter. I don’t think his skills transfer well to HW though and Gane is an exceptional fighter. Much like Max at LW or DJ at BW

GSP decision wins:
View attachment 970951

Jones decision wins:

View attachment 970952

I like it.

I don't agree, though, Bisping was definitely a good counter-wrestler, but GSP was basically a pure wrestler.

Jones isn't a pure wrestler, and I don't think he can wrestle for 25 minutes at heavyweight.

I actually think Jones would be dumb to wrestle for 15 minutes.

It’s ridiculous how everyone is overlooking Gane’s wrestling/grappling, because they can’t accept that Ngannou is actually a great wrestler now. It was obvious in Stipe rematch that Ngannou is a high level wrestler now and he’s strong af. Gane isn’t a bad grappler, he had some nasty submission wins in UFC, his clinch game is one of best in UFC and he has solid TDD. TBH I think Gane runs through Jones and I consider Jones an all time best fighter. I don’t think his skills transfer well to HW though and Gane is an exceptional fighter. Much like Max at LW or DJ at BW

Gane submitted cans nobody has ever heard of. This doesnt make him a good grappler. He's a French kickboxer with 11 fights. How could he be a great grappler lol

Jon Jones fanboy hopium and copium is the best

Last edited:
I had thought about that... until I thought some more. Bisping was well past his prime, slower and missing an eye.

Gane is in his physical prime, probably quicker than Jones, who has packed on mass and is testing HW for the first time against somebody who he won't have a huge reach or height advantage over.

Jones has had an amazing career, but half his prime has been wasted outside the octagon. I'm sure he'll show some flashes of his former self, but Gane is taking this.

Back