How is Jones going to beat Stipe?

The vast majority here seem to think Stipe is an easy fight for Jones, but how exactly you believe Jones is going to beat him?

A: Tko/KO? Everything is possible since its an MMA fight, but lets just say this is unlikely if Stipe has any durability left.

B: Submission? You mean he will do the same to Stipe he did to Gane? Again, I see no reason to think this should be considered likely.

C: Decision? Sure, Jones has a decent to good chance to outstruck Stipe with his wet noodle low kicks and punches, IF he still has a decent cardio as a HW. Stipe is old, but he probably still has a relatively good cardio for a HW. Yet, Stipe may be too slow and one dimensional as a striker to outstruck even this wayyy out of prime version of Jones.

Jones's best chance is to hope Stipe has declined significantly during these past couple years, because the Stipe from the Ngannou 2 fight (that looked relatively sharp, fast and light on his feet for his standards) would, imo, be a clear favorite against this current slow, old and fat clumsy looking Jones.

Summary: People are blinded by the Jones vs Gane and Stipe vs Ngannou 2 fights and fail to understand Jones is farther away from his prime (ended around 2017-2018) than Stipe.

I agree. Stipe should be the favorite against Jones.

The vast majority here seem to think Stipe is an easy fight for Jones, but how exactly you believe Jones is going to beat him?

A: Tko/KO? Everything is possible since its an MMA fight, but lets just say this is unlikely if Stipe has any durability left.

B: Submission? You mean he will do the same to Stipe he did to Gane? Again, I see no reason to think this should be considered likely.

C: Decision? Sure, Jones has a decent to good chance to outstruck Stipe with his wet noodle low kicks and punches, IF he still has a decent cardio as a HW. Stipe is old, but he probably still has a relatively good cardio for a HW. Yet, Stipe may be too slow and one dimensional as a striker to outstruck even this wayyy out of prime version of Jones.

Jones's best chance is to hope Stipe has declined significantly during these past couple years, because the Stipe from the Ngannou 2 fight (that looked relatively sharp, fast and light on his feet for his standards) would, imo, be a clear favorite against this current slow, old and fat clumsy looking Jones.

Summary: People are blinded by the Jones vs Gane and Stipe vs Ngannou 2 fights and fail to understand Jones is farther away from his prime (ended around 2017-2018) than Stipe.
He said he would finish Stipe. I gave up a long time ago doubting this man. When that psychopath sets his mind to something, it comes to fruition.

If Stipe wins would be an huge upset to me I think it is funny how people mention Stipe being a good wrestler, did yall forget how DC lifted him and walked him around like some WWE shit?

Yes. What people didn't forget is how Stipe overall rendered DC's wrestling useless. The olympian struggled to score takedowns and when he did get any he only gassed himself out while failling to keep Stipe down.

Stipe is a strong wrestler himself, he's not the type to get grapplefucked. Jones is gonna have to use his entire game to win this one.

Because he is used to facing and defeating heavyweights, has better one-punch knockout power than Jones, it is not going to be bullied by Jones on the ground, and I think he is as smart as Jones.

Jones can't knock anybody out, whether going forward or backward.

Stipe has knocked people out with one shot, coming forward and moving backward.

Jones is not Ngannou. He literally has no threat against Stipe, other than maybe out pointing them.

Stipe is a threat for Jon Jones' consciousness.

Because he is used to facing and defeating heavyweights, has better one-punch knockout power than Jones, it is not going to be bullied by Jones on the ground, and I think he is as smart as Jones.

Jones is not Ngannou. He literally has no threat against Stipe, other than maybe out pointing them.

If you think that Jones is going to sit there and not use his "malicious" techniques to secure a win. You havent watched a Jon Jones fight. Ever. Stipe has nothing for him prime for prime. Absolutely nothing.

Jones vs Stipe 4 years ago in 2019. I would say Stipe would box the bleeding head off Jones, how ever in 2023 I think Jones likely mauls Stipe unfortunately

everything you posted goes out the window if said fighter is old and shot. it's an extreme example but look at liddell in his last fight (yes, at 48) - fought a guy he wiped the floor with twice and could barely raise his arms up to fight him. granted that's 48, but 42 after a really long layoff is approaching the territory. his only hope is that his wrestling is still good enough to stay off the ground and that he can catch him with something, probably in the later rounds when jones is tired himself.

everything you posted goes out the window if said fighter is old and shot. it's an extreme example but look at liddell in his last fight (yes, at 48) - fought a guy he wiped the floor with twice and could barely raise his arms up to fight him. granted that's 48, but 42 after a really long layoff is approaching the territory. his only hope is that his wrestling is still good enough to stay off the ground and that he can catch him with something, probably in the later rounds when jones is tired himself.
Facts

I agree, but we haven't seen that yet from Stipe. I just think people shouldn't see Stipe as a has been because of the Ngannou loss. He might be now, but against Ngannou his movement looked good, imo. Ngannou just fought a near perfect fight, I don't think anyone would have beaten Ngannou on that night.

But you're talking about Prime Stipe, not Old Man Stipe. There's a big difference. I would love for Stipe to be the one to finally shut Jon TFU but I'm not that optimistic about it.

But you're talking about Prime Stipe, not Old Man Stipe. There's a big difference. I would love for Stipe to be the one to finally shut Jon TFU but I'm not that optimistic about it.

I don't think Stipe is that far gone.

I think his last performance against Ngannou showcased Ngannou's improvement, not Stipe's decline.

I actually think Stipe looked pretty good, but Ngannou was ready for him.

The fact that Ngannou can basically flatline anyone seems to escape most people. Ngannou caught Stipe and wobbled him.

Stipe recovered, wobbled Ngannou, and went in for the finish (Stipe is a killer himself!) — but ran into a titanic left hook from Ngannou.

It was a funking awesome fight, but the idea that Stipe "looked bad" is pure bull ship ... imo

I don't think Stipe is that far gone.

I think his last performance against Ngannou showcased Ngannou's improvement, not Stipe's decline.

I actually think Stipe looked pretty good, but Ngannou was ready for him.

The fact that Ngannou can basically flatline anyone seems to escape most people. Ngannou caught Stipe and wobbled him.

Stipe recovered, wobbled Ngannou, and went in for the finish (Stipe is a killer himself!) — but ran into a titanic left hook from Ngannou.

It was a funking awesome fight, but the idea that Stipe "looked bad" is pure bull ship ... imo
I'm not saying he's completely shot and has no chance but it's now a couple years later with no activity and his head seemingly out of the game. I can't imagine that he hasn't declined further since then.

I'm not saying he's completely shot and has no chance but it's now a couple years later with no activity and his head seemingly out of the game. I can't imagine that he hasn't declined further since then.

He's obviously older, and probably slowed.

But let's not also forget how shady Jones has looked, against Reyes and Santos, respectively.

I think Stipe would've FUBAR'd Reyes and Santos.
Jones barely escaped them both.

Yeah, he looked good against Gane, who has no wrestling.

But let's not pretend Jones is at his prime either. Recency bias makes Jones appear better than he is.

Forgetting Gane, he looked back at Jones last two fights ... and (forgetting Ngannou) if you look back the pace last two fights ... and compare them ...

If anything, Stipe has been performing at the higher level.

Honestly I think it’s Jon’s fight to lose because of Stipe’s age and inactivity. This fight reminds me of an old Randy Couture fighting a younger Brock Lesnar for some reason.

I can say this, Jon tends to run when he gets pressured. Reyes went forward and Jon got on his bicycle. I noticed the same when Santos took it to him. Jon never seems to stand his ground and return a bomb while retreating. Machida would do it a bunch, he would give ground only to allow his attacker to walk into a massive counter. It’s when his opponents slow down when he starts to pick them apart and eventually manhandle them. I think Stipe’s opportunities will be when Jon is going backwards. If he clinches or stands in front of Jon he’s a goner.

That all being said, Stipe is a great wrestler but I will guarantee Jones will be much stronger and better in the wrestling department. If he wrestles Jon, you will hear him retire in front of Joe Rogan during the post fight after being submitted stating, “I had no idea Jon was that strong.”

Last edited:
I was actually rooting for Jones first time against Gane (I don't care if you believe it or not), because I tend to root fighters I see as an underdogs. The older and more out of prime Jones gets, the more I root for him. It has happened to me with a lot of other fighters as well that I have disliked, once they have gotten old. I might root Jones against Stipe too, but currently I see it as a close fight. A lot of it depends how much Stipe has declined the past 2 years, and none of us can really know that, so its a big question mark.

He did look old, and clumsy on the feet against Gane, imo, just like I was expecting, and that's why I was rooting for him, because I was worried of him being in serious trouble on the feet once Gane gets comfortable, and I would still feel the same if they fought a second time. He's been out of his prime for a long time, and I genuinely don't understand his fans that don't see it just because he escaped some close decisions in his final fights at LHW. Those fights weren't "Jones just taking it easy", he is just not the same fighter anymore he once was.
I'm sorry brother.

My response was a bit rude. You've always been fairly reasonable with me, so I respect that more than most.

You're also correct. He looked a bit sluggish. He testified this himself in the post fight press conference, said he didn't spar at all during camp.

He did look smart defensively and tactically, even in his sluggishness though.

That being said, I don't think his last two fights were him necessarily being out of his prime.

I've watched the DC Jones 2 fight recently. Multiple times.

And you simply seen a different Jones.

DC is one of the best fighters in the history of the sport. Outside of Jones, I would argue he could beat any man that has ever lived at LHW or HW.

Jones knew he needed to tap into his absolute full potential and come with his full tactical prowess to beat him.

That simply wasn't the case against Reyes.

Reyes couldn't even hit him. He connected cleanly perhaps 6 times and that's being incredibly generous. What Reyes did looked good, but in reality he wasn't hitting him.

So, what I saw is that Jones basically did the bare minimum, tapped into a fraction of his potential and still beat Reyes.

With Santos, that was 4-1 Jones, where Santos tested him was in the kicking game where at his peak, he's probably one of the best in the history of either LHW or HW.

His Muay Thai background mixed with capoeira was a very interesting test.

But that was also Jones challenging him where he's best.

He truly came to kill DC. To prove he's superior. That was the real Jones.

If he came with the same ferocity against Santos. He would've took him down within the first 2 rounds and ended him.

He would've threw about 5x more against Reyes.

It's like saying Jones was out of his prime against OSP. No, he's just been on top for so long, that these guys can't motivate him.

This is something that even DC said. Rashad. Smith, who vividly painted a picture of a disinterested Jones. These are all guys who fought him.

I understand where you're coming from, but it's upon watching the DC fight multiple times did I realize how good Jones really is.

You only truly seen his best self against certain fighters.

Which can, in theory make him a tricky fighter to analyze at times.

You're a smart guy, but you just miss the full picture at times.

I feel like Jones is going to beat him like Stipe owes him money

Back