Social Mancare: soaps, deodorant, shaving products featuring: J’s handcrafted, Hoffmans, The Black Stuff

Speaking of a scent that punches you in the face...

I gave the Witch Doctor beard oil from Monster a try. Wow does that have a strong scent of coconut and lime. Really good smelling stuff, and it's a little more effective at softening than Duke Cannon's beard oil.

https://themonsterlair.com/products/beard-oil?variant=7227413332003

View attachment 980042

I have the soap and liked it ok. Monster’s quality is so so but their customer service and shipping are total garbage. It took a
Month and half to get some beard wash. I like the zombie killer, orange screamsickle,
And the ghostly pirate. The bride as a soap(chocolate and vanilla) is their best followed by zombie(black tea). But again, the quality is not great.

Please
Give J’s beard essentials a look. I thought fable was decent stuff and they have some of my favorite scents with dr wolf(blueberry tobacco) and especially scribe(chocolate and coffee-very rich). Their deodorants are pretty good, but their beard oils pale in comparison to J’s, which uses emu oil as a carrier. It makes the beard super soft.
A
World
Of difference. Trust me.

I have the soap and liked it ok. Monster’s quality is so so but their customer service and shipping are total garbage. It took a
Month and half to get some beard wash. I like the zombie killer, orange screamsickle,
And the ghostly pirate. The bride as a soap(chocolate and vanilla) is their best followed by zombie(black tea). But again, the quality is not great.

Please
Give J’s beard essentials a look. I thought fable was decent stuff and they have some of my favorite scents with dr wolf(blueberry tobacco) and especially scribe(chocolate and coffee-very rich). Their deodorants are pretty good, but their beard oils pale in comparison to J’s, which uses emu oil as a carrier. It makes the beard super soft.
A
World
Of difference. Trust me.
I am going to use up what I have, but I have added J's Essential's to my list.

Jesus, I am slipping. Two huge shipments came in.
First, the J’s handcrafted. I got the Erin Go Braugh(a take on the famous cologne, green Irish tweed, which is a clean, grassy smell) bundle with body butter, soap, hand balm, hand sanitizer, and shower steamer($100). The Erin go braugh beard kit with butter, wash, oil, and balm($89). And I got two Lucky You soap and cologne bundles (one for a friend) at $39 each. Yeah, I spent quite a bit on this order. But it is so good. IMG_0817.jpegIMG_0816.jpeg

Then today, I got two orders of beard stuff in. One from a trade and one purchased from tailored beard cohttps://tailoredbeardcompany.com/

the tailored order was red island (very fruity, pomegranate type of stuff) dreamcatcher(tobacco) and 2984(loads of tobacco and vanilla)

they all smell pretty good. I am not sure about the red island though, maybe too fruity.

The trade was a bunch of soaps and deodorants for J’s beard essentials. I got immortal cuts (a barbershop scent-clean, menthol) and run Forrest run, which is phenomenal chocolately and buttery scent. IMG_0822.jpegIMG_0821.jpeg

I tried the Ghostly Pirate beard oil from Monster, which uses a Spiced Blood Orange scent. It smells good and does a moderate job at beard softening. Strangely, it smells a little like Duke Cannon's Redwood beard oil, but not quite as good.

View attachment 980437

that is a decent scent, but trust me when I tell you that you will definitely notice the difference when you switch to a higher quality beard oil. J’s essentials uses emu and ostrich oil in their beard products that does an amazing job at softening your beard. Products like monster and fable use just plain oil that has little effect
Outside of fragrance properties.

that is a decent scent, but trust me when I tell you that you will definitely notice the difference when you switch to a higher quality beard oil. J’s essentials uses emu and ostrich oil in their beard products that does an amazing job at softening your beard. Products like monster and fable use just plain oil that has little effect
Outside of fragrance properties.
Duke Cannon's beard oil did even less to soften than Monster.

Give me your top beard oil companies worth trying.

Duke Cannon's beard oil did even less to soften than Monster.

Give me your top beard oil companies worth trying.

Definitely J’s essentials. Tailored has a very good reputation but I haven’t tried mine yet, probably tonight. Black rebel is supposed to be really good as well. I started out not using anything for my beard and then I got a free sample of fable with an order of deodorants. I started using it and noticed a difference in a few days. However, with that cheaper oil, it was staining my shirts in the neck area. I posted in a beard group and the responses were unanimous-stop using shitty beard products, which I didn’t know I was using shitty beard stuff. The overwhelming suggestion was J’s so I gave it a shot and loved it instantly. the scents at every complex and evolve the longer you wear them. I liked quite a few fable scents a little better, but again, those are cheaper oils and carriers that don’t do too much beyond fragrance. In particular, I like the scribe which is a coffee and chocolate scent-my favorite combo for soap and beard. I don’t know what you prefer scent profile wise, but I would start with J’s oil and butter. Maybe a beard of Chucky or dark beard duck. Or pick something else that catches your eye. I posted a menu a few pages back for J’s. For beard wash, I have been using lit beard products, but I know there are better ones out there-I am just using what I have first. Stay away from the monster beard wash. It smells nice, but it more like detergent or shampoo. Skullys is maybe a step up from fable, but again, I was told it was shit from the guys in the fb beard group.

I gave the Wolfman soap from Monster a try, which has a scent of Fir and Balsam. It smells alright, although nothing exceptional, and it lathers well once you break it in. A couple issues though: 1. The black part of the soap runs, dries onto the tiles, and has to be wiped off later. 2. I think it may be causing mild skin irritation at times. Nothing major, but that is definitely a deterrent from purchasing this variety again in the future.

upload_2023-4-27_5-4-11.png

Last edited:
The only soaps I use at this point are OG Irish spring and a high quality olive oil bar from a Greek company called papoutsanis. Fantastic stuff. As I get older I'm trying my best to use products with less chemicals in it. I realize Irish Spring is not exactly natural but I really do love the smell.

I also stopped using normal deodorant a couple years back and now use that salt crystal stuff. Honestly it's amazing. It isn't as good in the hottest weather but for the majority of the year it's perfect.

I gave the Wolfman soap from Monster a try, which has a scent of Fir and Balsam. It smells alright, although nothing exceptional, and it lathers well once you break it in. A couple issues though: 1. The black part of the soap runs, dries onto the tiles, and has to be wiped off later. 2. I think it may be causing mild skin irritation at times. Nothing major, but that is definitely a deterrent from purchasing this variety again in the future.

View attachment 980669

As I said, monsters quality is low. They have some good scents-bride is awesome, zombie hunter, psycho clown-but there’s too many issues with this brand. The customer service is real bad. The shipping, if they even remember, is usually very slow. I got my first couple orders quickly, but the last two took a long time and the last one took almost two months to get. I tried to cancel it a few times during that period and no one would answer my emails. I got a couple of beard washes, which remind me of axe body wash. It’s blue and detergent like. I have completely written this company off my list

The only soaps I use at this point are OG Irish spring and a high quality olive oil bar from a Greek company called papoutsanis. Fantastic stuff. As I get older I'm trying my best to use products with less chemicals in it. I realize Irish Spring is not exactly natural but I really do love the smell.

I also stopped using normal deodorant a couple years back and now use that salt crystal stuff. Honestly it's amazing. It isn't as good in the hottest weather but for the majority of the year it's perfect.

Never tried that crystal stuff. I love my deodorants too much. I use a different soap every day, a different deodorant, different beard oil and butter, and a different cologne depending on what deodorant and beard products I am using that day.

I did get a trade in the mail today. I previously got a sample of this one from the Halloween season drop. I tried on several occasions to buy this one, but the drops sold out in two mins and I had them removed from my cart upon checkout. So I traded a J’s handcrafted no tan lines (tropical, almost like sun tan lotion) for a haddonfield(pumpkin apple with a chocolate/coffee undertone.

IMG_0828.jpeg

I also have a few more beard drops coming in. I placed an order today for J’s essentials using prize money from a fishing tournament. I got the dad life (
  • A CLASSIC DAD TYPE SCENT (LIME, AFTERSHAVE, GOLDEN OUD, LAVENDER, SANDALWOOD, AMBER, 6 SECRET OTHERS)

El paletero-creamsicle

And another oil/butter combo, but I forgot which one.

Also have an order from Barnbrand beards that is smoked cocoa oil/butter and a rootbeer float oil/butter.

• I also have a big trade coming in with quick draw oil/butter/spray(leather tobacco) lumberjack oil/butter (real earthy pine smell) and a secret oil that he said is very sought after that has vanilla and oud in it

@RedBeard_ on 5/1, J’s essentials is having a limited drop called the princess that is supposed to be his most complex scent ever. He dedicated it to his wife and he says it will be really special with 18 scents worked into this one, but it will be a real limited drop.

As I said, monsters quality is low. They have some good scents-bride is awesome, zombie hunter, psycho clown-but there’s too many issues with this brand. The customer service is real bad. The shipping, if they even remember, is usually very slow. I got my first couple orders quickly, but the last two took a long time and the last one took almost two months to get. I tried to cancel it a few times during that period and no one would answer my emails. I got a couple of beard washes, which remind me of axe body wash. It’s blue and detergent like. I have completely written this company off my list
Good to know. I will still review what I have. I try to be as objective as possible in my reviews, which sometimes might seem brutal, but I am just trying to offer my 2 cents to other consumers. All information is good information.

Good to know. I will still review what I have. I try to be as objective as possible in my reviews, which sometimes might seem brutal, but I am just trying to offer my 2 cents to other consumers. All information is good information.

Same as I do, brother. You should join the fb groups where I get a lot of my information. Bearded brothers united and J’s beard essentials. Also, where I get a lot of my trades for out of stock/production J’s such as run Forrest run, my current favorite J’s scent(buttery chocolate)

I gave the Dracula beard oil from Monster a try, which has a scent of Cedar Rose. This is definitely not my scent. Kind of bitter. Very unimpressed. Moderate beard softening.

upload_2023-4-29_11-30-26.png

Last edited:
Back