“We don’t do gimmick fights” - Dana White

cm-punk-wwe.gif

Dana wants the UFC to be PRIDE more than anything. He still carries that chip on his shoulder from 20 years ago. He understands the avenue that must be traveled to get to where he needs to go, and gimmick fights are the main source of transportation.

Whatever he says in the media, we here have all been around long enough to know what's really going on. I imagine Endeavor likes the sound of it, spectacle is what brings in real money.

Dana wants the UFC to be PRIDE more than anything. He still carries that chip on his shoulder from 20 years ago. He understands the avenue that must be traveled to get to where he needs to go, and gimmick fights are the main source of transportation.

Whatever he says in the media, we here have all been around long enough to know what's really going on. I imagine Endeavor likes the sound of it, spectacle is what brings in real money.

what's funny is when they were competing vs Pride they used to always act like Pride was a "circus" and that the show was all gimmicks and the UFC was "real as it gets" because it was like a sport with rankings and proper matchmaking etc., but if you pay attention, ever since they bought Pride they've slowly been morphing into Pride.

also, i don't know why people think BMF is a gimmick fight. it's not. Dustin Poirer and Gaethje are legitimate fighters and top contenders. the belt is the gimmick, not the fight. if you want to talk about gimmick fights then people should bring up Couture vs James Toney, CM Punk fiasco, hell even Brock Lesnar.

Nothing wrong with gimmick fights. Look at the last year or so — some fun events, some all-time bad events — all from ‘gimmick fights’.

I’m against Zuck vs Elon though. Two unbearable billionaires fighting. Pass. But I won’t get upset. UFC jumped the shark with CM Punk, imo.

I, for one, don't stay up at night analyzing what a fight promoter says. He's turned the UFC into a $10,000,000,000 organization. He has successfully implemented WMMA. He continuously fosters regional MMA.

I trust his decision making in context to the UFC.

what's funny is when they were competing vs Pride they used to always act like Pride was a "circus" and that the show was all gimmicks and the UFC was "real as it gets" because it was like a sport with rankings and proper matchmaking etc., but if you pay attention, ever since they bought Pride they've slowly been morphing into Pride.

also, i don't know why people think BMF is a gimmick fight. it's not. Dustin Poirer and Gaethje are legitimate fighters and top contenders. the belt is the gimmick, not the fight. if you want to talk about gimmick fights then people should bring up Couture vs James Toney, CM Punk fiasco, hell even Brock Lesnar.
It's comforting that others see what I see. The new ownership really ramped up the madness, too, even more than before. That company and their investors absolutely want it to go down that path, they don't give two fucks about running a legitimate sport. Only money, and PRIDE is still the summit when we talk about the highest highs in MMA, as a sport and as a popular entity. UFC wishes they could sell 90k seats for one card, Musk/Zuckerberg is their ticket.

It's comforting that others see what I see. The new ownership really ramped up the madness, too, even more than before. That company and their investors absolutely want it to go down that path, they don't give two fucks about running a legitimate sport. Only money, and PRIDE is still the summit when we talk about the highest highs in MMA, as a sport and as a popular entity. UFC wishes they could sell 90k seats for one card, Musk/Zuckerberg is their ticket.

yeah, too bad the UFC doesn't take all the good things from Pride, like the over the top promotion and showbiz style entrances. they also don't have the balls that Pride did. imagine UFC holding a LHW tournament and allowing Nemkov to compete in it.

Back