Coffee

I experimented with both during law school as well. In my experience, coffee worked better. The energy drink was too much caffeine at once and made me jittery and I struggled with concentration. But there definitely is a social stigma against energy drinks compared to coffee in professional circles.

Yeah I don't get it. And the worst thing is classmates asked to inspect them too(the bottles with the health figures). I should have brought it in an unmarked bottle but then they'd have thought I was getting wasted.

Lots of people overpaying for coffee itt

99/100 couldnt tell their coffee from great value k cups in a blind taste test

whatever brings you joy tho, i overpay for shit too

if you are doing lattes, perhaps. If you are drinking it black, you can definitely tell.

if you are doing lattes, perhaps. If you are drinking it black, you can definitely tell.

nah. Not the average person. Ive been drinking my coffee black for nearly 30 years. The biggest determining factor is how the coffee is prepared, not the quality of the bean

nah. Not the average person. Ive been drinking my coffee black for nearly 30 years. The biggest determining factor is how the coffee is prepared, not the quality of the bean
Strongly disagree. Getting fresh beans from a local roastery vs stale beans from the grocery shelf is a big difference. I know roughly what I'm getting with Lavazza or Vittoria, had them recently, vs what I get from the local roastery.

Strongly disagree. Getting fresh beans from a local roastery vs stale beans from the grocery shelf is a big difference. I know roughly what I'm getting with Lavazza or Vittoria, had them recently, vs what I get from the local roastery.

That goes into what i said about how the coffee is prepared. Of course a loaf of bread will be better out of the oven vs a grocery store.

Most peoples pallets are unrefined, therefor theyre waisting their money. My statement was that most people cant tell the difference

That goes into what i said about how the coffee is prepared. Of course a loaf of bread will be better out of the oven vs a grocery store.

Most peoples pallets are unrefined, therefor theyre waisting their money. My statement was that most people cant tell the difference
it's all relative, I'm in a coffee-obsessed city and I work in a high-end professional setting, so we're all coffee snobs with advanced palates. I'm not even that bad, pretty low maintenance compared to many others I know.

The coffee maker doesn't make the coffee. It is the grinder. Too many people use blade grinder which get a lot of fines and make the coffee bitter. A good variable burr grinder, will run you at least $500 new. A consistent like 90% to making a good coffee or espresso. Burr grinders in my opinion should be had by anyone that likes coffee and wants freshly ground coffee. The grinders at your supermarket are very hit and miss and the adjustments are so loose that it is hard to produce a grind that matches up consistently with how you like coffee. If you are going to get a burr grinder, you might as well spend $250-500 for a used mechanical espresso machine for espresso drink. I got a used La Pavoni that has paid for itself many times over.

When I make coffee, I just French drip it because it is easy but any adjustments are all in the grind size, amount of coffee, and seeping time.
I have a manual Timemore grinder that works well for me and it's under $100. I get a couple of cups from a full load so it's on the small side if you're brewing in quantity.

giphy.gif

C'mon, dude, you don't have to spend $500 to adequately grind the beans.
My friend is a barrista and according to him the best grinders cost at least that much. He had a more expensive one he sold and bought one in that price range.

LOL, you don't recognize De'Longhi? Also, what the hell does the name matter? They gave you an objective basis to assess the performance of the machines. Are you like Jordan Schlansky? Do you need the device to have an Italian name because without it there isn't this magical ability to break coffee beans up into smaller pieces?
Do you consider yourself a coffee expert? As they say experience is the best teacher.

Coffee Bean is my jam. I also really don't care for Starbucks. They scorch their beans to give it a signature, IIRC. I tried a French press a while back, but what I didn't like about it is all the little bits of grounds that find their way through the mesh. I only make coffee like this now. It's a bit of a labor of love, because it takes about 8-ish mins to heat up the kettle to the proper temp, and then slowly pour over the grounds. Then when the filter gets full, have to let it drain and then repeat. My morning coffee and breakfast routine is about 20 mins every morning, but my cup of coffee is delicious. It would be better if I ground my own beans, but I got kids that I don't want to wake up too early. lol!

View attachment 990626
If you're drinking preground I'd suggest a Timemore manual grinder. It isn't loud at all and only takes a couple of minutes to grind.

I will never understand why people prefer coffee to energy drinks. Just don't understand. Have tried coffee just makes me shit a lot.

In law school I got treated exoticly for liking energy drinks. It was infuriating.

There's an aesthetic appeal to the whole process - the smell of freshly ground beans, the warm cup in your hands, slowly sipping on it while you start your day etc.

Drinking a can of monster while reading a book in the morning just doesn't have the same feel to it.

There's an aesthetic appeal to the whole process - the smell of freshly ground beans, the warm cup in your hands, slowly sipping on it while you start your day etc.

Drinking a can of monster while reading a book in the morning just doesn't have the same feel to it.

I prefered flavored red bull.

Monster has this steam come out when you open it that I've always found alluring.

So much coffee is shit. Starbucks fucked up coffee by getting people to think burnt coffee is good coffee. They also got people into mixed drinks, which hides bad coffee. When I make bad espressos, they can be hidden in a sugary, milk, flavored drink pretty easy.

another thing is that I think people are resistant to making a lighter brew or "weaker" coffee. You don't need to punch for the moon all the time with strong coffee. At coffee shop I go to, they have a Mexican brew that has coffee riding a mix of milk an honey rather than milk and honey riding a cup of strong cup of coffee. It is kind of refreshing to let the coffee blend in with something rather than it needing to stick out so hard that it needs to be mellowed out with milk and sugar.

Last edited:
I have a manual Timemore grinder that works well for me and it's under $100. I get a couple of cups from a full load so it's on the small side if you're brewing in quantity.

Hand grinders run a bout half price of electric grinders of comparable grind. I have always thought about getting an old timey box grinder but it would be another thing taking up space and doesn't have the grind range of my Niche Zero.

iu

Most of the time I drink illy coffee. I make espresso with it. I make my coffee at home with a jura s8.

They could tell the difference but burnt beans is the current Starbuck trend.

Back