• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

Somewhere in Queens (2022)
Ray Romano directs and stars in this cliched yet enjoyable dramedy. Romano plays Leo, the head of an Italian family. He lives vicariously through his son Mathew or ‘Sticks’ who is a high school basketball star but a tad socially awkward off the court. Leo wants badly for his son to take a different path in life than the one he settled for, which is working for the family construction company straight out of high school.

Romano is likeable, the performances are very good, including that of Laurie Metcalf, who plays Leo’s wife Angela. She is very protective of their son when he brings a new girlfriend over for a family dinner and is leery of her intentions. A mothers instinct is often right.

I enjoyed it more than expected and has some genuinely funny and heartfelt moments. I never really watched Romano’s tv show Everybody Loves Raymond back in the day so I wasn’t really expecting to find him as likeable as I did. Not bad at all. 8/10

Last edited:
They Cloned Tyrone
-
It was okay. It's like stranger things in the hood. The comparisons to Jordan Peele stuff like get out and Us is hard to ignore but this leans a little more toward comedy than those films. It's got a nice atmosphere to it, and it has the look of a 70s movie. The three main characters, Boyega, Foxx, and Parris are all good and have nice chemistry.

I didnt know Keifer Sutherland was in it but he's great in it.

The biggest problem for me, which seems to be a common occurrence for some of these Netflix films is that it doesnt know when to end and goes on a lot longer than it needed to.

Overall it's a decent scifi mystery movie with a good atmosphere and fun characters. But goes on too long and loses its nuance with the social commentary at times.

6.5/10

I'd agree it was maybe 15 mins too long and a little messy but still I felt very good, the comedy playing on conspiracy clichés worked well IMHO stopping it being too on the nose and Boyega is exellent in it, honestly embarrising that the supposedly progressive Starwars sequels had him playing a comedy sidekick goofball.

The Kill Team (2019)

A24 film starring Nat Wolfe as Andrew Briggman, a new marine stationed in Afghanistan. Briggman's staff sergeant is KIA and replaced by Sergeant Deeks (Alexander Skarsgard). Deeks quickly begins to reconfigure the squad around his more aggressive fighting philosophy. Briggman begins to suspect that Deeks is murdering unarmed civilians and becomes paranoid that the squad may turn on him if he speaks out.

"Based on a true story".

Rating: 4.5/10

The film is watchable but did not really work for me on any level. It looks fine but the pacing is consistently off. The 3rd act ends on a whimper. Skarsgard was fine as the sergeant but Wolfe was not good in the lead role. I did not find him convincing in any way. The most effective scenes are when we feel Briggman's paranoia that his own squad may turn on him but this basic set up is repeated multiple times in slightly different situations and gets tiresome. I could see this being a 5 or 6 with a better lead actor but as far as war movies go, it is barely passable.

Force_of_one.jpg

In California, a police department requests assistance in an investigation from a proven kickboxer and military veteran, Chuck Norris. In a narcotics war the officers need for Chuck Norris to fight a very dangerous opponent, who is under suspicion of murder. A Force of One is my favorite Chuck Norris movie

Force_of_one.jpg

In California, a police department requests assistance in an investigation from a proven kickboxer and military veteran, Chuck Norris. In a narcotics war the officers need for Chuck Norris to fight a very dangerous opponent, who is under suspicion of murder. A Force of One is my favorite Chuck Norris movie

I should probably have a night binging these type of movies, soon.

Cobweb (2023)

American horror film centred on a socially awkward and bullied 8 year old boy (Peter) who becomes convinced that he can hear somebody knocking and speaking through his bedroom wall. His parents (played by Antony Starr and Lizzy Caplan) are initially very understanding about his fears but they soon start to act increasingly unstable themselves. A substitute teacher befriends Peter and begins to worry about his safety.

This felt like a prototypical Blumhouse feature - cheaply made but looks good (it was actually produced by Point Grey, Seth Rogan's film company) .

There is nothing original or particularly memorable about the movie but it is both creepy and scary. The 3rd act is perhaps the weakest but the runtime is a brisk 90 minutes and so the story keeps barreling along.

Rating: 6/10

Solid horror movie with a quick runtime and some scary moments.

Just saw Meet Joe Black for the first time in ages. I give it a 6/10. Might have been higher, but i detest watching Brad Pitt eat and he does it a LOT in this movie as he does in every movie. However, holy shit is Claire Forlani absolutely gorgeous
d93d4f4b9536b833eccd2b1aa8561c88.jpg

Guy Ritchie's The Covenant
-
Really liked it. Surprising to find a movie set in the war on terror that can still feel unique, with a story focused on repaying a personal debt rather than taking vengeance.

3 act structure pretty much and each act is paced very well. This could have been stretched out into a 3 hour movie but it finds its stride very early. It gets a lot accomplished in 2 hours.

There are plenty of well done action and tense moments. But the core of the movie is the bond between Jake Gyllenhaal and Dar Salim. One founded on actions rather than tons of dialogue.

Overall it was a satisfying movie. I did think the ending was missing something I cant exactly put my finger on. There are also a few lines of dialogue that feel off in delivery. But in the end this is a movie that has both plenty of action plus an emotional touch that works.

Fantastic score too.

8/10 maybe

Guy Ritchie's The Covenant
-
Really liked it. Surprising to find a movie set in the war on terror that can still feel unique, with a story focused on repaying a personal debt rather than taking vengeance.

3 act structure pretty much and each act is paced very well. This could have been stretched out into a 3 hour movie but it finds its stride very early. It gets a lot accomplished in 2 hours.

There are plenty of well done action and tense moments. But the core of the movie is the bond between Jake Gyllenhaal and Dar Salim. One founded on actions rather than tons of dialogue.

Overall it was a satisfying movie. I did think the ending was missing something I cant exactly put my finger on. There are also a few lines of dialogue that feel off in delivery. But in the end this is a movie that has both plenty of action plus an emotional touch that works.

Fantastic score too.

8/10 maybe

Yeah I think Dar Salim might be a dark horse for a best supporting actor nomination.

The Burning(1981)
Jason Alexander, Holly Hunt, Fisher Stevens, Brian Backer, Ned Eisenberg, Leah Ayres(the hot blonde reporter from Bloodsport)
Directed by Tony Malam
6.5/10

A slasher flick similar to Friday the 13th. The story was conceived by Harvey Weinstein who also produced.

A group of summer campers play a prank on the caretaker, Cropsy, who is seriously burned and disappears. Five years later he's back, he's pissed and he's offing campers with his trusty iron shears. A lot of teenage T and A as you would expect since Weinstein was involved. Apparently, he was accused back then of sexually harassing one of the set crew. Make up effects by Tom Savini so there is some gore.

It was the acting debut of Alexander, Hunt and Stevens. Somewhat amazing that several of the actors in this movie went on to become well known stars. Not terribly scary but worth a watch to see those actors mentioned as well as some young female flesh.

Recommended.

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning

Wife and I went to the movies together for the first time in...well...we can't remember.

My ramblings:

- Was the character of Gabriel even needed? It would have been great if it was just Ethan and his team against the AI.

- I liked the DNI office where they were all on typewriters. Reminded me of the Simpsons scene where Mr. Burns hired a million monkeys and gave them a million typewriters to create the great American novel.

- the motorcycle scene reminded me of Steve McQueen's motorcycle jump in the Great Escape.

- glad the brought back the guy from the first MI movie that reminded me of Irwin R. Schyster.

- Bad guy had more knives than Edward Scissorhands.

- UAE must subsidize this franchise.

- Something seems a bit off will Ving Rhames. Is he dealing with an illness in real life?

Eyeforaneyeposter.jpg

An Eye For An Eye (1981)

White Lightning is back! Reporter Linda Chan (Rosalind Chao) and police officer Dave Pierce (Terry Kiser) are both killed within the first 20 minutes. To avenge their deaths Sean Kane (Chuck Norris) attacks the Chinese Triad. The waterfront home Kane had with the boat and security was a Batman-like set up. I liked the beautiful background views of San Francisco.

I recommend the movie to others!

Eyeforaneyeposter.jpg

An Eye For An Eye (1981)

White Lightning is back! Reporter Linda Chan (Rosalind Chao) and police officer Dave Pierce (Terry Kiser) are both killed within the first 20 minutes. To avenge their deaths Sean Kane (Chuck Norris) attacks the Chinese Triad. The waterfront home Kane had with the boat and security was a Batman-like set up. I liked the beautiful background views of San Francisco.

I definitely recommend the movie to others!

Terry Kiser really specialized in dying.

Talk to Me (2023)

Australian horror movie. Low budget but well executed with some very good practical effects.

Scary AF.

I am not going to give away any of the set up or the plot. Suffice it to say - it is one of the best horror movies I have seen in a while.

Plus it has a lean 90 minutes run time.

Rating: 8.5/10

220px-TalkToMe2022poster.jpg

Just saw Meet Joe Black for the first time in ages. I give it a 6/10. Might have been higher, but i detest watching Brad Pitt eat and he does it a LOT in this movie as he does in every movie. However, holy shit is Claire Forlani absolutely gorgeous
d93d4f4b9536b833eccd2b1aa8561c88.jpg

I thought this was an absolute train wreck of a movie. All of the characters are terrible. Bad script. Stupid plot. Mostly bad acting.

And yet... it is a mesmerizing movie. I have even re-watched it.

Claire Forlani is definitely a stone cold beauty.

There is no reason that she and Joe should fall in love based on one incredibly awkward chat over breakfast but Hollywood logic is always "they are the 2 main characters and they are both really pretty so of course they are going to fall in love. Just look at them!"

Eyeforaneyeposter.jpg

An Eye For An Eye (1981)

I recommend the movie to others!
In my top 5 for Norris movies.

I thought this was an absolute train wreck of a movie. All of the characters are terrible. Bad script. Stupid plot. Mostly bad acting.

And yet... it is a mesmerizing movie. I have even re-watched it.

Claire Forlani is definitely a stone cold beauty.

There is no reason that she and Joe should fall in love based on one incredibly awkward chat over breakfast but Hollywood logic is always "they are the 2 main characters and they are both really pretty so of course they are going to fall in love. Just look at them!"

I have been preaching about Claire's beauty for years.

Back