Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

I thought this was an absolute train wreck of a movie. All of the characters are terrible. Bad script. Stupid plot. Mostly bad acting.

And yet... it is a mesmerizing movie. I have even re-watched it.

Claire Forlani is definitely a stone cold beauty.

There is no reason that she and Joe should fall in love based on one incredibly awkward chat over breakfast but Hollywood logic is always "they are the 2 main characters and they are both really pretty so of course they are going to fall in love. Just look at them!"

I haven't seen it in a long time but I thought it was pretty good. I thought Pitt and Hopkins were both good but Jeffrey Tambor really stood out.

I like the plot and the general concept. Could have maybe used as you say a real reason for Claire Forlani's character to break through Pitt's shell...but I think the movie probably does the right thing by having the experiences with Hopkins and Pitt be the core of the story.

There were other movies that had some overlap with the ideas in this one - K-Pax, City of Angels etc. - but I think Meet Joe Black did it the best that I can think of.

BARBIE

Gosling was great. Margot Robbie was good. It was nice to see Rhea Perlman. Movie didn't need Helen Mirren's narration after the first five minutes and would have been better without it. Production design was very good. Humor batted around .450 or so.

Giving it a 6.0 but it could go up. I'm trying to decide if the movie is more self aware and balanced than it's getting credit for. At any rate...it's not awful and not as bad as what some of the popular critics are making it out to be.

Patton
-
It's very good, maybe great. It also feels very long especially toward the end. The cinematography and shots in the film are fantastic. A lot of open landscapes and such, really feels like you have room to breath.

It has that epic movie feel similar to Ben Hur or Lawrence of Arabia, even though to be fair it is a good amount shorter than those movies. Like Lawrence there is something biblical about Patton even though it takes place in the 20th century.

So with the grand feel of the film, big action set pieces and all...the thing that hooked me was Patton himself and George C Scott's portrayal. It's a very interesting look into this guy whose soul craves war and battle. I really got a sense of who this guy is throughout the film.

I guess overall I probably have a lot more to say about it but I'll just say after watching I feel like I watched something great. I think my only complaints for now is that it has a strange mix of both feeling very long especially toward the end while also feeling like it rushes through some big moments to get to the end.

8.8/10 maybe. I'll just give it a 9.

Side note....I wonder if Patton and his belief in reincarnation stuff influenced that thrown away original idea for Gladiator 2 with maximus coming back in different wars.

The Burning(1981)
Jason Alexander, Holly Hunt, Fisher Stevens, Brian Backer, Ned Eisenberg, Leah Ayres(the hot blonde reporter from Bloodsport)
Directed by Tony Malam
6.5/10

A slasher flick similar to Friday the 13th. The story was conceived by Harvey Weinstein who also produced.

A group of summer campers play a prank on the caretaker, Cropsy, who is seriously burned and disappears. Five years later he's back, he's pissed and he's offing campers with his trusty iron shears. A lot of teenage T and A as you would expect since Weinstein was involved. Apparently, he was accused back then of sexually harassing one of the set crew. Make up effects by Tom Savini so there is some gore.

It was the acting debut of Alexander, Hunt and Stevens. Somewhat amazing that several of the actors in this movie went on to become well known stars. Not terribly scary but worth a watch to see those actors mentioned as well as some young female flesh.

Recommended.
Probably my favourite non franchise slasher, up there with April Fools Day, Mad Man, Just Before Dawn and Terror Train

Hypnotic 2023

Lasted an hour, it's shit. Cross between Now You See Me and Inception. Ben Affleck looks like he shit himself, Bill Fitchner has an 'ooh matron' face on him the whole time. Not sure what it was about, missing kid, shit hypnosis with a zombie vibe. Wank

Murder By Death 1976

One of my favourite old dark house movies, makes a great double bill with Haunted Honeymoon or Clue. Awesome cast, Alec Guinness and Peter Falk in particular steal the show. Lots of good one liners and inappropriate jokes, Peter Sellers does yellow face. Neil Simon bless

Spiderman into the spider verse (2018)

I don't hate superhero movies necessarily but I don't to out of my way to watch them. They peaked for me around the first iron man. Then other shit happened in my life and kind of slowly stopped watching them. I had heard this one was good so I figured what the heck I'll give it a go. Holy shit was I glad I did. Animation was great but the storyline and character development was phenomenal. Seeing a fat Peter Parker who didn't get everything he wanted was a nice touch. Miles putting his own spin on the character was great as well. Might see the second one before it leaves theaters.. then again I pee alot so might wait to stream. But I won't waste five years to wait haha

9/10

It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

Classic comedy. Sure, it's overblown and there are plenty of gags that don't land, but the stuff that works, works very well in my opinion. Great cast, lots of funny cameos, and, like another comedy I really enjoy, The Blues Brothers, it gets points for the sheer ambitious insanity of some of the setpieces and chase sequences. There are some smaller moments and sequences in the film that really stand out to me. Dick Shawn's introduction scenes with his girlfriend are a riot. Mickey Rooney and Buddy Hackett trying to recruit Jim Backus to fly them to Santa Rosita is a personal favorite as well. Spencer Tracy's phone conversations with his wife and daughter are hilariously on point

My favorite physical gag (in a film filled with them) is probably when Sid Caesar inadvertently takes out the staircase of the warehouse with a sledgehammer. Very entertaining.

7.5/10

The Descendants

I saw a trailer for the new Alexander Payne/Giamatti collaboration, which got me wanting to revisit Sideways, but, instead, I went with a Payne film I'd never seen, The Descendants. I was really impressed by the performances. Clooney delivered some of his best work and Shailene Woodley was thoroughly convincing in her role, as was the younger actress who played her sister. I think Payne tends to hit the right notes of combining comedy with serious observational drama in his films, and this is no exception. There are some legitimate laughs, some cringe comedy (involving Woodley's boyfriend's faux pas for instance), and a lot of sad, emotionally resonant scenes as well. Judy Greer was excellent in a role that could have easily been an after thought. Was surprised to see Matthew Lillard and Beau Bridges. I had no idea that they were in the film.

The movie centers on Clooney's character dealing with his wife being in a coma after a boating accent and then having to deal with the realization that she was having an affair. It's a tough watch at times, as some of the more emotional scenes really do hit hard. I also liked how there was complexity to some of the character choices. Particularly, Clooney's character makes a pivotal decision late in the film that left me wondering how much of it was motivated by a connection to his ancestral home and how much of it was motivated by justifiable anger. Highly recommend it.

8/10

Bowfinger
This comedy from 1999 flew under the radar, I think, but it's got some really funny work from Steve Martin and Eddie Murphy. The premise itself is pretty damn funny, with Martin, as a low-rent filmmaker, deciding to make a movie where the A-list star does not even realize he is a part of the film. Murphy has a dual role and crushes both of them. Martin is consistently funny and Heather Graham steals the film in sequences with a really funny subplot that runs throughout the film. It is certainly not the best Murphy or Martin comedy or among the best, but it delivers some good laughs and is ultimately quite fun despite being somewhat forgettable.

7/10

Murder By Death 1976

One of my favourite old dark house movies, makes a great double bill with Haunted Honeymoon or Clue. Awesome cast, Alec Guinness and Peter Falk in particular steal the show. Lots of good one liners and inappropriate jokes, Peter Sellers does yellow face. Neil Simon bless

Guinness was hilarious in it. Haven't watched since I was a kid, but I still occasionally think of the funny scene where he tries to fire Nancy Walker.
"10 people over for dinner and I'm serving them hot nothing!...And stay out!

It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

Classic comedy. Sure, it's overblown and there are plenty of gags that don't land, but the stuff that works, works very well in my opinion. Great cast, lots of funny cameos, and, like another comedy I really enjoy, The Blues Brothers, it gets points for the sheer ambitious insanity of some of the setpieces and chase sequences. There are some smaller moments and sequences in the film that really stand out to me. Dick Shawn's introduction scenes with his girlfriend are a riot. Mickey Rooney and Buddy Hackett trying to recruit Jim Backus to fly them to Santa Rosita is a personal favorite as well. Spencer Tracy's phone conversations with his wife and daughter are hilariously on point

My favorite physical gag (in a film filled with them) is probably when Sid Caesar inadvertently takes out the staircase of the warehouse with a sledgehammer. Very entertaining.

7.5/10

The Descendants

I saw a trailer for the new Alexander Payne/Giamatti collaboration, which got me wanting to revisit Sideways, but, instead, I went with a Payne film I'd never seen, The Descendants. I was really impressed by the performances. Clooney delivered some of his best work and Shailene Woodley was thoroughly convincing in her role, as was the younger actress who played her sister. I think Payne tends to hit the right notes of combining comedy with serious observational drama in his films, and this is no exception. There are some legitimate laughs, some cringe comedy (involving Woodley's boyfriend's faux pas for instance), and a lot of sad, emotionally resonant scenes as well. Judy Greer was excellent in a role that could have easily been an after thought. Was surprised to see Matthew Lillard and Beau Bridges. I had no idea that they were in the film.

The movie centers on Clooney's character dealing with his wife being in a coma after a boating accent and then having to deal with the realization that she was having an affair. It's a tough watch at times, as some of the more emotional scenes really do hit hard. I also liked how there was complexity to some of the character choices. Particularly, Clooney's character makes a pivotal decision late in the film that left me wondering how much of it was motivated by a connection to his ancestral home and how much of it was motivated by justifiable anger. Highly recommend it.

8/10

Bowfinger
This comedy from 1999 flew under the radar, I think, but it's got some really funny work from Steve Martin and Eddie Murphy. The premise itself is pretty damn funny, with Martin, as a low-rent filmmaker, deciding to make a movie where the A-list star does not even realize he is a part of the film. Murphy has a dual role and crushes both of them. Martin is consistently funny and Heather Graham steals the film in sequences with a really funny subplot that runs throughout the film. It is certainly not the best Murphy or Martin comedy or among the best, but it delivers some good laughs and is ultimately quite fun despite being somewhat forgettable.

7/10
The Descendants was a great movie. Clooney played that role fabulously; reminded me of the role he play in Up in the Air when he finds out his relationship isn't what he thought it was.

God is a bullet: It was comically bad. The only good thing is seeing Maika Monroe in tiny shorts. Other than that it's just cliché after cliché, convoluted and super silly plot, ridiculuous over the top edgy baddies, weak main characters, idk, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. (4/10)

Wrath of Becky: As silly as the first one, but unfunny. It is in fact super boring (3/10)

The flood: This one is just too much...(1/10)

Finally getting around to watching Transformers Rise of the Beast...

I have a family trip coming up to go visit Washington DC for the first time. Tried to watch Gettysburgh (1993) with my wife and son.
An hour in and they asked me to watch something else. I'm not sure if this was originally released in the theatres or was made for TV movie......but man those war scenes were comical.....it really looked like they rounded up a bunch of weekend civil war re-enactment folk and tried to get them to play as extras.....I know this movie is decades old, but having never seen it before, I'm assuming it's as dated as the blacken banana sitting in on my kitchen table.
I'll give it another shot on my own as I'm interested in the subject from a historical context, but if there's better Civil War era movies that you would recommend, please let me know.

I have a family trip coming up to go visit Washington DC for the first time. Tried to watch Gettysburgh (1993) with my wife and son.
An hour in and they asked me to watch something else. I'm not sure if this was originally released in the theatres or was made for TV movie......but man those war scenes were comical.....it really looked like they rounded up a bunch of weekend civil war re-enactment folk and tried to get them to play as extras.....I know this movie is decades old, but having never seen it before, I'm assuming it's as dated as the blacken banana sitting in on my kitchen table.
I'll give it another shot on my own as I'm interested in the subject from a historical context, but if there's better Civil War era movies that you would recommend, please let me know.

Glory and Lincoln are pretty good. Stuff like The Good the Bad & the Ugly take place around then but the war isn't really central to things. Cold Mountain was decent.

Movies like True Grit or The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford take place in the years after and characters reference Quantrill etc.

Last edited:
Dolores Claiborne(1995)
Kathy Bates, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Christopher Plummer, David Strathairn, John Reilly
Directed by Taylor Hackford
7.5/10

Crime/drama with a great cast and one of the better Stephen King movie adaptations.

Bates plays the role of Dolores--a maid who is accused of murdering her employer although she contends it was an accident. She is relentlessly pursued/interrogated by the local detective(played by Plummer) who is also convinced she murdered her husband years earlier. The daughter of Dolores(Selena, played by Leigh) has been estranged from her mom for 15 years but returns to the small New England town to support her, although she doubts her innocence. As the two women reconnect, things that Selena once thought true about her mother begin to reveal themselves as false and she eventually learns the awful truth about her father and his death, as well as the relationship her mother had with her employer.

Really good movie that I watched this morning. I don't know why I avoided it for so long. Guess I thought it would be another lame horror adaptation of King's work but it wasn't.

Recommended.

Dolores Claiborne(1995)
Kathy Bates, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Christopher Plummer, David Strathairn, John Reilly
Directed by Taylor Hackford
7.5/10

Crime/drama with a great cast and one of the better Stephen King movie adaptations.

Bates plays the role of Dolores--a maid who is accused of murdering her employer although she contends it was an accident. She is relentlessly pursued/interrogated by the local detective(played by Plummer) who is also convinced she murdered her husband years earlier. The daughter of Dolores(Selena, played by Leigh) has been estranged from her mom for 15 years but returns to the small New England town to support her, although she doubts her innocence. As the two women reconnect, things that Selena once thought true about her mother begin to reveal themselves as false and she eventually learns the awful truth about her father and his death, as well as the relationship her mother had with her employer.

Really good movie that I watched this morning. I don't know why I avoided it for so long. Guess I thought it would be another lame horror adaptation of King's work but it wasn't.

Recommended.

It's a decent movie but if you've read the book this one strayed pretty far from it. I think Tony Gilroy did the screenplay and if I remember right the entire courtroom drama that is the framework for the movie was added on. I guess maybe it would be hard to capture it on screen but one of the interesting things about the book was it was basically a first person heavily accented account by Dolores the whole way through.

It's a decent movie but if you've read the book this one strayed pretty far from it. I think Tony Gilroy did the screenplay and if I remember right the entire courtroom drama that is the framework for the movie was added on. I guess maybe it would be hard to capture it on screen but one of the interesting things about the book was it was basically a first person heavily accented account by Dolores the whole way through.
I've read a lot of King's work but not the novel this was based on. If I had read the novel first then perhaps my opinion of the movie would be different.

The Meyerowitz Stories new and selected
-
It was okay. Has some funny moments here and there and Sandler and Stiller are both pretty good. Hoffman is the standout for me.

Not much to say about this one. It averages around being decent. Had to potential to elevate into something more but never really does. Still fine and like I said has it's moments.

6/10 maybe.

Escape from LA
-
Finally got around to watching this one after watching the first movie plenty of times and still considering it one of my favorites all time.

This one...its practically the same movie with all the same beats for the most part. I guess that's fine, but as soon as you get to the basketball scene the movie really takes a turn tonally. I really did not like that scene or the surfing scene and they felt very goofy.

I mean Kurt Russell is still great as Snake, and the film moves fairly well. But overall it lacks the atmosphere of the first and is essentially a worse version of it.

7/10 maybe. It's still pretty fun.

Spiderman into the spider verse (2018)

I don't hate superhero movies necessarily but I don't to out of my way to watch them. They peaked for me around the first iron man. Then other shit happened in my life and kind of slowly stopped watching them. I had heard this one was good so I figured what the heck I'll give it a go. Holy shit was I glad I did. Animation was great but the storyline and character development was phenomenal. Seeing a fat Peter Parker who didn't get everything he wanted was a nice touch. Miles putting his own spin on the character was great as well. Might see the second one before it leaves theaters.. then again I pee alot so might wait to stream. But I won't waste five years to wait haha

9/10

I took my kids to the second movie two weeks ago. Highly recommend it.

The Meyerowitz Stories new and selected
-
It was okay. Has some funny moments here and there and Sandler and Stiller are both pretty good. Hoffman is the standout for me.

Not much to say about this one. It averages around being decent. Had to potential to elevate into something more but never really does. Still fine and like I said has it's moments.

6/10 maybe.

Escape from LA
-
Finally got around to watching this one after watching the first movie plenty of times and still considering it one of my favorites all time.

This one...its practically the same movie with all the same beats for the most part. I guess that's fine, but as soon as you get to the basketball scene the movie really takes a turn tonally. I really did not like that scene or the surfing scene and they felt very goofy.

I mean Kurt Russell is still great as Snake, and the film moves fairly well. But overall it lacks the atmosphere of the first and is essentially a worse version of it.

7/10 maybe. It's still pretty fun.

I liked Meyerowitz. Thought it was pretty good for a low key movie that didn't get much attention. Just kind of a smaller scale family story. Given the junk Pacino and De Niro and so on do a lot of the time I think their efforts would have been better spent on these kinds of projects. Pacino did a couple like Manglehorn in between the purely for the paycheck junk but nobody watches them. And Manglehorn was just decent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaybeHawk
Back