Movies Our greatest living movie star is......

Is Denzel Washington the greatest living movie star?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
....Denzel Washington might not be the greatest actor, or the greatest box-office-draw...but I think he's the perfect mix of both.

Here's why.

Timestamps:
0:00 Longevity & Greatness
1:36 0. Range
3:55 1. Belief
4:54 2. Authority
6:23 The Preparation

(My personal opinion, he's definitely up there. He could very well be the greatest living movie star.)

He carries a film very well.
Very natural and believable on screen.

I think he falls short on range, especially if you compare to guys like Christian Bale or Daniel Day Lewis who can navigate different accents fairly seamlessly, thus somewhat automatically achieving a lot of different characters and nuances.

One thing I think Denzel does very well is choose his roles. He knows what he does well and places himself in positions to succeed, and also I feel like some stuff he does was written for him (Equalizer feels that way)

May as well throw in a question about tipping. People love to rattle on about Denzel here.

I think he's a top 10, but not top. Guy is great.

Denzel is a fantastic actor and he has a lot of movies that have done really well in the box office. So I understand this guys argument about him being a perfect mixture of both. So he has a valid argument imo.

vin-diesel.gif

movie star is different from actor.
in terms of star quality, there's nobody like Cruise.
legit nobody. not pitt, not dicaprio, not anybody.

I think a lot is made about Tom Cruise being old and doing stunts but I don't think he takes very risky roles. He tries so hard to just play to what works. George Clooney is like 10x the actor Tom Cruise currently aspires to be. Brad Pitt is limited in ability but at least pushes the envelope a little. Even Dicaprio varies his roles some.

One guy who I think would be really deserving of consideration is Mel Gibson. I think we know why he isn't considered but his body of work is in my opinion better then Tom Cruise, both acting and directing. The work he is putting out now is actually kind of fun even if it isn't big budget blockbuster stuff. Dragged Across Concrete was a legitimately great pulpy crime noir movie. I loved every bit of it.

Denzel wouldn't even be in my top 15. His movies have become very niche, his status is similar to Liam Neeson these days.

I think a lot is made about Tom Cruise being old and doing stunts but I don't think he takes very risky roles. He tries so hard to just play to what works. George Clooney is like 10x the actor Tom Cruise currently aspires to be. Brad Pitt is limited in ability but at least pushes the envelope a little. Even Dicaprio varies his roles some.

One guy who I think would be really deserving of consideration is Mel Gibson. I think we know why he isn't considered but his body of work is in my opinion better then Tom Cruise, both acting and directing. The work he is putting out now is actually kind of fun even if it isn't big budget blockbuster stuff. Dragged Across Concrete was a legitimately great pulpy crime noir movie. I loved every bit of it.
Lmao, Clooney is horrible and plays literally the same person, smarmy charismatic guy, in every movie he's ever been in, besides Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?

He’s done a load of films I quite like, and he’s always decent (at least), but truth be told he’s never been in a film I love nor has he ever put in a performance that has ever knocked my socks off.

Like most actors he’s settled into playing “the Denzel Washington” role in the second half of his career.

No shit you give one of the most uninformed low IQ posts demonstrating your ignorance literally knows no bounds.

Denzel wouldn't even be in my top 15. His movies have become very niche, his status is similar to Liam Neeson these days.

Not even close. Liam Neeson’s movies are literally all exactly the same now. He’s not making stuff like Gladiator 2, Fences, or The Tragedy of MacBeth.

His passion project Fences in my opinion was one of his best acting performances. It was based on a play so there is that. His other passion project Roman Israel was alright but not amazing in my opinion.

No shit you give one of the most uninformed low IQ posts demonstrating your ignorance literally knows no bounds.

You can go back to posting in your cypto scam thread if you want to be like this.

He's top 10 for sure, and if I was making the list i'd have him in my top 5.

So i'd say he's close, but better than DDL? De niro still lives too.

Maybe not THE best.

Edit: I read that wrong, movie star not actor. Yea hes top 10 there too.

He might have the best balance of movie star / pure actor. But hes not the best either.

Back