Media Chris Daukaus addresses his chin issues and admits 'I was fat 205er'

I dunno, still feels like a bad match-up for him here. At Heavyweight the thing that made him notable was that he had fast hands, decent footwork, and hit fairly hard despite his size. But I jumped off his hype train long before Lewis, Blaydes, and Rozenstruik put it on him. I saw the writing on the wall as soon as I watched Old Man Shamil -- who was like 40+ years old at that point and coming off a 2-year layoff with multiple injuries/ailments -- put an absolute boxing clinic on Chris for most of the first round. Chris couldn't find his range or timing at all. He was running face-first into counters, getting picked apart on the outside, swinging at air, and just looked really bad until he finally sat Shamil down and managed to swing the momentum in his favor. I faded him in every fight after that even though he managed to find the KO against Shamil.

Hard to say how he'll look at 205. It's probably where he should have been all along in the grand scheme of things, but at the same time will his speed advantage even be all that noticeable against Light Heavyweights? He was "fast" in comparison to plodders like Oleinik, Porter, and Nascimento. I could see him having a slight advantage in footwork and hand speed in the pocket over Khalil who has a very "rooted" style, but damn Rountree is explosive when he wants to be. And he hits more than hard enough to hurt Daukaus. Rountree has something like eleven knockdowns and five KO/TKO victories in the UFC, whereas Daukaus has been finished by strikes five times in his pro career. It's not even just the power in Khalil's hands that Chris will have to worry about, but also his knees, elbows, and low kicks -- the latter of which will be murder for a boxing stylist like Chris.

I've seen some people suggest that Chris will just try to grapple Khalil... he'd be wise to attempt it, but I don't have much faith in him pulling it off. Yeah Khalil's been fed a steady diet of strikers and has struggled badly against guys who grappled with him like Cutelaba, Pedro, and Sanchez (though he just about killed Paul Craig back in the day). But I am not convinced Chris has it in his skill set. He hasn't attempted a single takedown in the UFC yet and has zero wins by submission across his pro and amateur career. There's a lot of talk about his BJJ Black Belt and how he's always training with his brother on the mats at Martinez BJJ... but I need to see it in the cage to believe it. Khalil, to his credit, has stuffed all five of the takedowns attempted against him lately ever since Cutelaba brutalized him.

Short of Chris showing an entirely new wrinkle to his game with the offensive grappling or blitzing Khalil in the pocket with his boxing to catch him with something nasty, I see Rountree finishing this fight by KO/TKO inside of two rounds.
Stopped reading halfway thru but liked for being 100% on point, & for the effort.

Quoting "fat 205er" makes it sound like he has been fighting at LHW and MW is his natural division. Funny statement.

Mike Tyson was 5'10 and dominated HW boxing, Daukaus is 6'2 and feels he needs to cut to LHW or MW to succeed: the absolute state of modern MMA fighters.

Mike was pure muscle. Chris was indeed fat

It's crazy he quit the police force when he was on his win streak to train full time, then ran in Lewis. And has been KOd ever since.

Tyson got his ass whooped by Lewis, a real heavyweight. Tyson wouldn’t have been able to hang with the Klitschko bros and Fury, he’s way too small
Height is not everything, not every tall guy has the same body type

Mike tyson was shot at 36 yrs old when he fought Lewis. His style is high energy and speed and you don't have that at 36 compared to 25

If they fought in there early 20's the result would not have looked like that fight one bit.

Lewis matured and got better over time, Mike was the opposite started fast and burned out and shot by 30-32

Mercer fought a similar style to tyson and beat Lewis all over the ring and lost a ver close decision. Prime Mike would have help up quite well and very well could have dropped Lennox due to Lennox chin letting him down a few times out of no where.

And that's b.s , Mike lost 2 key fights in his career which was Lewis and Evander.

But all you kids forget the Holmes and Spinks fights where he was a destroyer and did not fold..

serious misconception of his career overall. Or when he lost to tilman twice as an amateur but destroyed him in the 1st rd after the buster loss. If he was weak and folded easy he would have struggled against tilman again but he executed him.

lol how could he fold vs Spinks and Holmes? it was 1 way traffic for the majority of those fights all for Tyson. a better comparison is how he never quit vs Buster Douglas even after getting bombed on. came back to drop Buster and then still got up even after getting his shit rocked. i don't know why guys think Tyson is a quitter.

Ledet did it before it was cool. Went from an undefeated HW prospect with decent boxing and a speed advantage over most guys to one of the worst LHWs on the roster.

he only had 5 fights at HW. the majority of his career was spent at LHW. just before he came to the UFC he decided to move up.

he only had 5 fights at HW. the majority of his career was spent at LHW. just before he came to the UFC he decided to move up.
That's where he had his most success though, so I still find it weird that he went down before he even took a loss.

Do you actually believe this garbage? They're the same age and Lewis spent more time competing in the amateurs, by the time Lewis made his U.S debut, Tyson had already lost to Buster Douglas. By the time Lewis was established as one of the best fighters in the division, Tyson was in prison. If anything, it was Tyson who avoided fights...when Lewis was fighting Tua, Vitali, Rahman, Briggs, Mercer, Morrison etc...Tyson was fighting Peter McNeeley and Euro level fighters.

Age? Now who is believing garbage sir?
Mike had been burning the candle at both ends for years.

Drugs and partying age you incredibly, you're smart enough to know that.

I love when reporters ask shit like that the audacity of it lmao like hey bro everybody said you got no chin lol what do u think?
To Chris's credit though, he answered the question really well and without any hint of annoyance or anger. Very professional of him.

Quoting "fat 205er" makes it sound like he has been fighting at LHW and MW is his natural division. Funny statement.

Mike Tyson was 5'10 and dominated HW boxing, Daukaus is 6'2 and feels he needs to cut to LHW or MW to succeed: the absolute state of modern MMA fighters.

Mike Tyson had a ridiculously big bone structure for his height and held muscle mass extremely well. There are guys who are 5'8-5'11 who can walk around heavier easier with quality, functional weight than some guys who are 6'2-6'5. It's extremely rare but there are outliers and Tyson was one of them. I knew a guy who was 5'9 but had nearly 9 inch wrists and could hold a relatively lean 240 on his frame without it looking comical

that's the problem with HW. you fight a bunch of bums who probably aren't really HWs until you get to the top 5-10 where you start running into people who ARE real HWs.

Yep, it's EXACTLY as you put it.

Before he "hit his ceiling" at HW he was on a 5-fight winning streak, all by KO/TKO, including against some fringe top 15 guys.

Then he got ranked and had to fight in the top 10 and got smoked by all 3 "real" HW's (Lewis/Blades/Rozenstruick).

Tyson never dominated HW boxing. Once he fought better competition, he struggled massively. But awesome fighter nonetheless

Age? Now who is believing garbage sir?
Mike had been burning the candle at both ends for years.

Drugs and partying age you incredibly, you're smart enough to know that.
Believe what? It's a statistical fact. I didn't dispute that Tyson wasn't in his peak form but at the time he was, Lewis wasn't in a position to fight him. Where are you getting this narrative that Lewis ducked him? If anything, it was the other way round. When Tyson returned from prison, he didn't fight the top contenders.

Back