CM Punk. Winless in the Octagon. Undefeated backstage for AEW

One more UFC run ?

• Total voters
Hey man you do you. If you enjoy it, that's great.

I shouldn't be talking shit, MMA isn't THAT different outside of being real. Shirtless, buff and sweaty guys lay on top of each other trying to make each other say uncle.

Wrestling, done right, can elicit the same excitement MMA can.

Just not often, and only when done really well.

There's something exciting about watching something unfold and not knowing how it ends.

That it's rigged makes no difference. All films and all TV shows are rigged. That's not the point. How well it's done is the point.

Have no idea who Jack Perry is and looked him up. He looks like the rapist from the 70s show mixed with Kenny G.
kg1-jpg--dm1-jpg.jpeg
GettyImages-1179038712_main.jpg

I don't see why people dog Phil that much. He clearly has a passion for MMA and had the clout where he could finagle a couple of UFC bouts. He trained hard, fought hard, and yeah, he got beat up, but he still stepped in there to find out.

People just focus on how much he sucked when he was in there. Forgetting it seems that he was in there fighting for real, which is more than just about any other fan ever does.

When he's not at Wembley stadium, he's doing commentary for the CFFC...really far from the bright lights of the UFC and top-level pro wrestling. He clearly loves the sport and has really dedicated himself to trying it and staying in it, albeit not as a fighter.

I don't think there are many (any?) others, in his position, who have done as much.

AEW is horrible. I don't know how anybody watches modern wrestling, it's the absolute shits. Just a bunch of geeks doing a gymnast routine.
I saw some guy hammering (with his hand) a board with a nail in it into another guy's head in some brief AEW clip. I realize wrasslin' is fake but it looked pretty disgusting. Those guys have cut themselves for years and some willingly do painful things. This clipped looked like it was at least partially real. I have no desire to watch that.

Punk’s heat with Perry stems from reports that Punk nixed an idea from Perry to use real glass in a match. This led to a backstage confrontation between the two as Punk—the veteran—looked to protect the 26-year-0ld Perry’s safety.

Protect his safety? What does this mean?

Man I forgot how bad he actually looked. First of all, Duke Roufus and Roufussport should have their credentials revoked for taking this guy's money and convincing him he was ready for a fight in the UFC. He has Z E R O athleticism. NONE. That was not a guard pull in the first gif, that was a baby sloth trying to climb onto a tree branch, and then when it failed to accomplish anything he almost tried to do a DDT pro wrestling move. And enough has been said about his striking.. that attempted clinch knee just screams "i've only ever hit pads in my life, why is he moving away and not into my strike like Duke did with the pads?!"

Also Mike Jackson looked bored like he was barely trying for most of the fight while Punk was fighting for his life, the contrasting optics made it even worse. Almost to the point where you wonder if CM paid Mike before the fight to let it go the distance, so he can win a moral victory by not getting finished. Dana wasn't having it and cut both of them after this.

Mike Jackson fought twice more in the UFC after.

I don't see why people dog Phil that much. He clearly has a passion for MMA and had the clout where he could finagle a couple of UFC bouts. He trained hard, fought hard, and yeah, he got beat up, but he still stepped in there to find out.

People just focus on how much he sucked when he was in there. Forgetting it seems that he was in there fighting for real, which is more than just about any other fan ever does.

When he's not at Wembley stadium, he's doing commentary for the CFFC...really far from the bright lights of the UFC and top-level pro wrestling. He clearly loves the sport and has really dedicated himself to trying it and staying in it, albeit not as a fighter.

I don't think there are many (any?) others, in his position, who have done as much.

The UFC during the Zuffa era took what SEG did and marketed the hell out of it, creating a ‘real sport’ in the process. It wasn’t like PRIDE, which had worked/gimmick fights, for the UFC was as ‘real as it gets’, where you had to fight your way to the top. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, CM Punk was brought into the UFC. It rubbed people the wrong way, because it was a joke.

As a guy who watched/watches gimmick fights, I didn’t mind. What I objected to was the way the UFC tried to sell us his entrance into the organization, that it was a serious attempt at fighting and Punk was a worthy martial artist. He clearly wasn’t. At all. I will always bring up the time they (his gym) finally released videos of him sparring, and doing ‘simulated fights’, because it was horrific. He was below average. I’m talking about below average for the adult male population, not amongst fighters. He was clearly a can, but the only one who didn’t know it was Punk himself, which brings me to the OP. (He took a decent paycheck in order to fight at the highest level — again, not hating, but let’s not act like it was inspirational.)

It’s clear that Punk is a toxic person. People like Cornette et al. have been defending him for years, yet the stories have piled up. Jack Sperry might be in the wrong, idk, but Punk gets no props for beating up a trust fund acrobat.

Back