News Conor McGregor just received his BJJ-blackbelt

Are McGregor’s BJJ-skills blackbelt worthy?

• Total voters
cxlirzpb8ibb1.gif

mcgregor-vs-khabib.gif

Sherdog logic : Ricardo Arona is not a legit black belt because he could not defend Rampage'slam
Nahh dude this guy doesn't display even blue belt level skills on some stuff like giving up his back, laying flat on his back etc. I guess he put in the time for it, doesn't mean he has the skill set you'd expect for a professional athlete that trains it all the time. He may have the knowledge or teaching ability, but I see why people are crapping on him.

I can’t stand him. But….

You don’t think he could walk into 90% of BJJ gyms and probably sub the black belts there?

Is he elite gym level black belt? Probably not. Are black belts handed out like candy around the world? Kind of.

He's never subbed anyone in his career that I know of sir.

Of course Irish Edmond gave Conor a Black Belt

Just look at how much money and fame Conor has brought to his BJJ coach... as a result of having a successful career from STRIKING

And never even subbed anyone or got out of a sub attempt lol.

I guess I just don't really know what's wanted here. do I think he's gonna go compete at some major level tournament and do well? No. But at most schools competing isn't a requirement to get ranks.

He's literally never subbed anyone though lol.

In MMA ..yes

But who knows what happens in that gym in ireland...

Hes trained with other black belts for awhile..

I said he doesn't deserve it for the record..

My point was about the black belt itself ..not Conor , all im saying is the Black Belt is not a sign your a killer ...it has more to it then that

Last edited:
So , I guess this promotion is evidence that he’s training

I don't know enough about Conor's bjj. In honesty, we havent really seen enough throughout his career. I also have no clue if Kavanagh is even in a position to be giving out black belts.

As with anything related to Conor nowadays, it seems very yes-men ish but good for him I guess

Well, I only do striking so I'm not sure how all this belt stuff works. But I've heard that often teachers "adjust" belts for the fighter. So like a 70 year old guy can get a black belt with less skills/ability/etc than a 20 year old guy. Which seems reasonable to me.
So now you take McGregor who's clearly just a hobbyist at this point. So I assume he gets the hobbyist level belt. Liquor impresario and drunk cleans himself up enough to get a bjj belt as a hobby. Inspiring!

Arona got like 2 subs in his MMA career. I think he has more tkos/kos than subs. Even his professional grappling career is pretty much all won by points. I think he might have 1 sub there. Arona is a way better grappler than Connor though.

Your last sentence is my point, and I was using a bit of hyperbole lol.

Back