If Volkanovski retired today, who would you rank higher all time between him and Khabib?

Khabib has the advantage of retiring undefeated, he had great wins at the highest level Conor Justin Dustin RDA etc. volk has more title defenses, and beating max 3x was a huge accomplishment, but I wonder if down the road (assuming he loses in the near future at FW) the lack of names may hurt his legacy. He’s got max 3x Ortega yair and Aldo you could throw Mendes in there also. Although it’s not his fault max knocked off all the contenders and he also dared to move up in weight, at 5’6” mind you, something khabib never tried, and gave Islam a hell of a fight. Yeah after writing it out, I think you have to go with Volk. I think khabib knew his days at 155 were soon over and 170 would have been a huge risk

> you could throw mendes in there

chad fucking mendes? you mean the explosive d1 wrestler with knockout power and lightning fast hands, who only lost to champions, and is one of the best fw fighters ever? he’s no al iaquinta, but i guess you could throw him in there too.

If Volkanovski retired today who would rank higher on the all time list between him and Khabib?
Khabib's sidekick beat volk lol the fuck you mean they're not comparable, khabib is a undefeated legend nobody comes even close, also keep in mind he followed the "russian path" in the ufc it means you fight last minute bad matchups injured does as you're told and stfu or else dana dumps you.

I think Khabib was better but Volk has arguably the better record.

So on the basis of accomplishment, Volk. On the basis of dominance and skill, Khabib.

Khabib was the better fighter. most dominant fighter the game has ever seen.
29-0 , barely lost a round. Never got cut. thats unheard of in this sport. We’ll NEVER see anything like it again.

with that being said, Volk has the better resume.

I think Khabib was better but Volk has arguably the better record.

So on the basis of accomplishment, Volk. On the basis of dominance and skill, Khabib.

well said. Basically what I said in my post after yours. But you said in a much more clear and concise manner.

Volkanovski. Really don't think we should be rewarding a decision to retire in the middle of your prime to preserve an image of invincibility. Khabib's record would be no lesser had he gone up and lost against Usman, which he certainly would've.

Khabib didn't retire to "preserve an image of invincibility". He did it because he promised his mother he would retire, after his father died from COVID. She asked him, he did it to spare his mother the dread of him fighting.

Volk obviously, Khabib barely defended the belt while Volk is on his way to clearing out his division

Khabib is the most overrated fighter in MMA. He gets lumped in with greats like Anderson, GSP, Fedor, and Jones but hasn’t accomplished anything close to those legends. He beat a bunch of cab drivers then got a few decent wins near the end of his career then retired. Currently fighters like Izzy and Volk have already surpassed him.

It's like something you'd see in boxing lol

I think Khabib is the overall more effective fighter, but Volk has faced way better competition and tested himself more. His fight against Islam could have went either way. As of now I think Volk has the better legacy, but Khabib was the better fighter if that makes any sense.

People mix up potential and accomplishments.

Khabib could be the greatest we have ever seen.

But he didnt accomplish as much as Volk.

Volk is higher on the GOAT list in terms of what he has done.

Khabib walked away from the sport without getting cut.

And? His style is not conducive to getting cut.

He's not a brawler, he's a panic wrestler lol. Don't know why so many people parrot this shit. It means fuck all.

Such a weird metric to pick out.

A more important metric would be "how many times you defended your title against the cream of the crop" or "how many times you moved up in weight and destroyed the best guys at that weight".

Khabib's legacy will always reflect his sheer dominance and perfect record but Volk is the more decorated champion who appears poised to continue adding to his accolades for the foreseeable future.

Khabib in terms of skill is right up there with the GOAT's. His accomplishments are thin. That's the dichotomy of retiring early.

People mix up potential and accomplishments.

Khabib could be the greatest we have ever seen.

But he didnt accomplish as much as Volk.

Volk is higher on the GOAT list in terms of what he has done.

Khabib walked away from the sport without getting cut.

This precisely

Volk has honestly accomplished more.

If I'm honest, if Volk had only beaten max once, I think that's enough to put himself slightly above Khabib.

When it's 3 times, oh boy, that's a legacy.

And it's not a knock on khabib in anyway, I think he could have accomplished insane things. He just happened to retire before he did.

It sucks for Kabob that he didn't have a whole slew of contenders to really build his resume up and he didn't start fighting the elite until the very tail end of his career.

> you could throw mendes in there

chad fucking mendes? you mean the explosive d1 wrestler with knockout power and lightning fast hands, who only lost to champions, and is one of the best fw fighters ever? he’s no al iaquinta, but i guess you could throw him in there too.
Fair enough, mendes is a good win even being 3-2 in the last 5 at the time. Volk finished him and looked great. I also didn’t include Al in khabibs best wins either and he was on a 5 fight win streak albeit against a lesser level of competition

Volkanovski has the better resume

Volk with complete ease.

Out of other current fighters, I'd have Izzy above him as well.

Volk has better resume but Khabib like him or not had the aura of invincibility. Sucks Khabib only fought like once a year.

I think Volk should get seen as the better due to the work but to be honest Khabib was likely better talent n I can't stand Khabib.

Back