If Volkanovski retired today, who would you rank higher all time between him and Khabib?

Seahawks Fan

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
If Volkanovski retired today who would rank higher on the all time list between him and Khabib?

If Volkanovski retired today who would rank higher on the all time list between him and Khabib?
Not sure if I would rank Khabib above. Volk's losses were at higher weight classes. While Khabib would go to the hospital before he'd go up in weight. Also, feel like Volk is more willing to continuously defend his belt.

People mix up potential and accomplishments.

Khabib could be the greatest we have ever seen.

But he didnt accomplish as much as Volk.

Volk is higher on the GOAT list in terms of what he has done.

Khabib walked away from the sport without getting cut.

Volk due to more title defenses (5-3) and willingness to test himself at higher weight classes. As I have said previously, the only argument that Khabib has in any all-time ranking conversation is his undefeated record. Otherwise, he lags in every other measurable category.

Khabib is the most overrated fighter in MMA. He gets lumped in with greats like Anderson, GSP, Fedor, and Jones but hasn’t accomplished anything close to those legends. He beat a bunch of cab drivers then got a few decent wins near the end of his career then retired. Currently fighters like Izzy and Volk have already surpassed him.

People mix up potential and accomplishments.

Khabib could be the greatest we have ever seen.

But he didnt accomplish as much as Volk.

Volk is higher on the GOAT list in terms of what he has done.

Khabib walked away from the sport without getting cut.
I say it all the time, I think Cain is the best HW fighter we've ever seen, but he didn't accomplish enough to be called the greatest.

Khabib is the most overrated fighter in MMA. He gets lumped in with greats like Anderson, GSP, Fedor, and Jones but hasn’t accomplished anything close to those legends. He beat a bunch of cab drivers then got a few decent wins near the end of his career then retired. Currently fighters like Izzy and Volk have already surpassed him.

Even Cruz is ahead of Khabib

3 wins over a prime Max Holloway are as good or equal to Khabibs wins over Conor, Dustin, and Justin.

Volk gets my pick over Khabib.

Both are incredible fighters though, I just wish Khabib stuck around for a bit longer so we could have seen how far he could go.

Like others said based on accomplishments yeah would have to be Volk.

I would say, though, that Khabib's peak was higher -- the McGregor fight and everything surrounding it before and after was insanity and even though it didn't shed the prettiest light on the sport it shined the biggest light ever up to that point and I don't think anyone has matched it yet. For me Khabib deserves a latter top 10 spot, it's just a shame that his in-ring career was abruptly cut short.

Obviously we don't know what Volk's post-fighting legacy will be like, but I feel strongly that Khabib's lasting influence is also going to be immense -- techniques that he popularized, fighters that he coaches, etc.

Volk, he has fought way better guys and has more title defenses and will get even more! many more probably. Poirier and Gaethje and RDA are good wins, outside of that not too much else stands out, I think Conor is a washed up mess.

Its only the undefeated mystique that stands out, but if you put 3 different judges in the Tibau fight then its all gone, as all the media scores and former judges had it for Tibau, as he landed more strikes and got 2 takedowns and Khabib got zero takedowns, was just holding the fence for dear life and couldn't get anywhere. The fight sucked and was boring but at the very best its a draw.

I think Volk is going to keep winning for many more years so his resume will get even better

Last edited:
Definitely Volk. Khabib retired with the 0 and saved MMA by ending Conors boolshiet, but Volk has done more as champion. Risking it at a higher weight against Islam and putting on a fantastic showing elevates him for me as well, even in defeat.

Back