• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Would GSP be as successful if he were fighting in today's UFC?

GSP is from the past..cmon

Just imagine one of his generation, like I don't know, Jon Jones, against one of the best modern fighter of today's UFC..

What he would do? training evolved, skills evolved, food evolved..he would be absolutely blasted

Oh wait..

Man, it's almost like great fighters adapt or something. Crazy thought, right?

Since ww has regressed if anything since he left, I think he'd do just fine. Hasn't been a single champ or contender as well rounded as he was since he retired.

Reactions: lsa
GSP has high work ethics, dude lived in gym and was a learner. So yes he would do great, sad age has caught up with him.

Prime Usman gives him hard hard fight,could go both ways but would bet on GSP
Rakhmonov would have the edge just as Chimaev
He does beat Colby i feel
He beats Leon Scott

He would be EVEN MORE dominant. You think Colby is going to outwork him ? Usman will cage wrestle him ? Leon will stop his takedowns ? Bella would put him in any danger ? Burns would take him down ?

None of than would happen he would gameplay and use his Superior fight IQ and win with his varied skillet and his athleticism

That is if we take him in his pime

He’d beat Edward easily no question. Usman during his reign might be a tough match up but I could see a George still winning.

Khamzat I need to see more of him to really decide, but that’s the thing though, he’s the only one that maybe puts a question on it.

thing with khamzat is he's super agressive and the beginning and if he can't put you out he starts slowing down. Like we saw with burns. GSP would absolutely exploit it in his game plan

The Usman from a few years ago had the strong legs. He's the one guy who would give GSP many problems and likely beats him.
Actually Edwards and Colby are very tough matchups as well. The earlier poster who said GSP mostly faced one dimensional fighters was correct.
It's like Fedor beating one dimensional relics and then getting his own ass kicked all over the place against the new breed of well rounded fighters in SF. Though I think GSP would do well today.

How on earth is Colby a bad matchup for GSP ? He doesn't have anything to hurt him on the feet. He would be unable to outwrestle him. And if anything his high pace would work against him because GSP would frustrate him all day with superman jabs, leg kicks and spinning kicks. Plus he's not half as strong

Man, it's almost like great fighters adapt or something. Crazy thought, right?
Indeed.

Ability, will, being a fighter within your bones, are transversal skills that have neither time nor dimensions.

I believe that if you go back 2,000 years and take the best Gladiator of ancient Rome and train him with today's techiques, at his peak he would still be at the top of the predator chain.

I firmly believe GSPs style is timeless. Great with range, kickboxing, dominant grappling, takedown defense, and elite cardio. Really hard to beat that combo.
Glad you mentioned cardio. GSP fought at a pace that most other fighters had trouble maintaining while controlling the action (jabs and modest leg kicks controlled distance and the threat of TD's kept opponents having to consider defense more than offense) which meant GSP was consistently banking rounds and winning lopsided decisions. GSP rarely lost rounds. GSP was like water rolling downhill...

GSP is from the past..cmon

Just imagine one of his generation, like I don't know, Jon Jones, against one of the best modern fighter of today's UFC..

What he would do? training evolved, skills evolved, food evolved..he would be absolutely blasted

Oh wait..
Jon Jones skillset makes GSP look like a joke. Don't compare them, they aren't in the same league

You guys are looking at it all wrong because if GSP fighting in today's UFC he would be a LW (and not even one of the big ones)

I think he is a bit short for WW. His meta is a bit outdated. I am sure GSP will improve with the times but staying in guard and playing the elbow game doesn’t exist anymore

You guys are looking at it all wrong because if GSP fighting in today's UFC he would be a LW (and not even one of the big ones)

He was in the high 180s in fight night with very low body fat.
He would ve an average sized WW today but would definitely avoid the cut to LW.

Back