Would GSP be as successful if he were fighting in today's UFC?

Yeah, I 100% believe that GSP could still Decision these guys absolutely.

There is one thing we dont need to speculate. Anderson Silva could and actually did make WW and even became champion there. By the weight cutting methods of two decades ago.

Regarding GSP at LW, we do need to speculate. It's physically possible but how it would compromise his performance, it's uncertain.
Not because pankrat says so but because his own boss Dana White expressed these same doubts:

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc...-st-pierre-but-unsure-if-gsp-can-make-155lbs/

And even GSP himself did:

https://www.essentiallysports.com/m...n-on-which-he-will-fight-khabib-nurmagomedov/

Regardless, to build your argument aound the walk-around weight of other LWs who get way more out of shape / bulked up in between fights than GSP used to do is either uneducated or disingenuous.

An excellent point, Anderson did make WW by the methods two decades ago and if if he could do it....

The entire thread is a speculation thread. I will speculate that he is one of the most disciplined fighters in history and would expect his performance to be exceptional.

Walk around weight is just the easiest info to look up but I think you are uneducated on just how much weight these LW's are cutting and how "out of shape" they are getting (Patty excluded lol). Most of todays top LW are very similar in size to GSP. To top that off you are speculating a 2013 GSP doing a one time cut to 155lbs not a 2004. If competing at 155 he would be on a year long nutrition plan to do so. If he debuted in todays UFC, this guy would be a LW:

DQjxKKYWsAAPXQR.jpg:large

190 wasn't his rehydration it was his walk around.

That is your typical LW in todays UFC.
His rehydration was 187-190lb. He tried going a bit higher but it was too much.

No lw is rehydrating to 190lb in 24 hrs that's 35lb and b.s maybe the biggest lws would get to 175-177.

He can easily win another championship. He learn the art of winning at the cost of entertainment.

Simple question, if prime GSP were fighting in today's UFC, do you think he would be as successful and dominant as he was?

Yes...him and guys like Randy Couture, Anderson silva , BJ Penn at LW etc had styles that transfer over very well to any era

Walk around weight is just the easiest info to look up

The easiest? I guess that's right. If you understand "easy" as synonim of lazy / uneducated.

An excellent point, Anderson did make WW by the methods two decades ago and if if he could do it....

Anderson Silva, by the time he became Shooto WW champ, walked around at 185lbs.
So by your simpleton approach, he would have been a career LW if he debuted in modern day. :confused:

More examples.
This is Yushin Okami in his last fight for Pride:

full

181 lbs for a 205 lbs bout. Which means, just in case you didnt grasp it, that he didnt have to cut weight. He not only walked around at 181 lbs, but such was his weight in fight night.

If I was uneducated enough, I could say "Look, Okami walked around the same as modern LW/FWs. Hence, Okami in modern day would be a LW/FW brOoO."

I think you are uneducated on just how much weight these LW's are cutting

On top of being an easy lazy way to approach the matter, the reality is that plenty of LWs from GSP era also walked around at 180lbs, so even from that standpoint, you are making a blank point

Sure, GSP could make 155 under a very strict regime and a life-threatening weight cut. Specially when he was in his early 20s, just like his training partner Rory McDonald also started off his career as a LW.

GSP would not be a career LW if he started in modern day, when not even clearly smaller guys as Masvidal or RDA could handle the LW cut anymore at some point.
And no, Chandler is not same size or even bigger than GSP just because he allegedly walks around heavier than GSP. That's a painfully ignorant take on the matter.

His rehydration was 187-190lb. He tried going a bit higher but it was too much.

No lw is rehydrating to 190lb in 24 hrs that's 35lb and b.s maybe the biggest lws would get to 175-177.
Ain't nobody saying he would rehydrate to 190 at LW. You are assuming his size would stay the same. This was after years of fighting WW already and trying to build a frame for that. He is not going to diet, lift and train like a WW if he was a LW. I am not talking about a one time cut here.

Yes. He’d be champ pretty easily imo. The game hasn’t evolved as much as people say it has.

GSP's skillset is good against any era. Blast double legs, 10/10 jab, top control, amazing physique and cardio

Prime gsp vs todays ww? Yes
Todays gsp vs todays ww? Yes, he would still be champ.
I feel like todays Gsp is a lot worse than people think …..I didn’t think he looked great against Bisping years ago

He is 5"10 was a solid 188-190 after rehydration and has a 76" reach he wouldn't be under sized at all

I guarantee hes not 5ft10. He was bloated at 185. He would have carried that weight much better if he were really 5ft10. Hes closer to 5ft7 1/2 at best.

Conor-McGregor-GSP-930406.jpg

Even spread legs Anderson towers over him.

gsp_silva.jpg

Are we really asking how the #1-2 MMA GOAT would do in his prime today?

<JagsKiddingMe>

He's at minimum a champ, potentially a double simultaneous champ, and possible triple champ.

<WhatItIs>

Gsp could come out of retirement tomorrow and be one of the top WWs in the world

I think he’d either be champ or at the very top of the WW division. Would’ve been interesting to see him fight prime versions of Woodley, and Lawler before he left the division. Also think Usman, Leon, Shavkat and Khamzat would be tough tests.

The easiest? I guess that's right. If you understand "easy" as synonim of lazy / uneducated.

Anderson Silva, by the time he became Shooto WW champ, walked around at 185lbs.
So by your simpleton approach, he would have been a career LW if he debuted in modern day. :confused:

More examples.
This is Yushin Okami in his last fight for Pride:

full

181 lbs for a 205 lbs bout. Which means, just in case you didnt grasp it, that he didnt have to cut weight. He not only walked around at 181 lbs, but such was his weight in fight night.

If I was uneducated enough, I could say "Look, Okami walked around the same as modern LW/FWs. Hence, Okami in modern day would be a LW/FW brOoO."

On top of being an easy lazy way to approach the matter, the reality is that plenty of LWs from GSP era also walked around at 180lbs, so even from that standpoint, you are making a blank point

Sure, GSP could make 155 under a very strict regime and a life-threatening weight cut. Specially when he was in his early 20s, just like his training partner Rory McDonald also started off his career as a LW.

GSP would not be a career LW if he started in modern day, when not even clearly smaller guys as Masvidal or RDA could handle the LW cut anymore at some point.
And no, Chandler is not same size or even bigger than GSP just because he allegedly walks around heavier than GSP. That's a painfully ignorant take on the matter.

It is the info that is readily available but by all means please give us the breakdown of fighters BMI and hydration levels.

As for Anderson and Okami, I think this more shows how different and sometimes non existent weight cutting was back then.

Also love the fact that you've been arguing all day and then admit that could make it. lol

The man is too smart and would realize before he even began that he would run into a lot of issues and be undersized in todays WW.

As for Anderson and Okami, I think this more shows how different and sometimes non existent weight cutting was back then.

So your conclussion is that Anderson and Okami would be LWs in modern day because they used to walk around about as heavy as Michael Chandler and other LWs do today?

You didnt understand nothing, mate.

Also love the fact that you've been arguing all day and then admit that could make it. lol

The man is too smart and would realize before he even began that he would run into a lot of issues and be undersized in todays WW.

I argued what I argued, friend. This is my initial reply to you:

He was in the high 180s in fight night with very low body fat.
He would ve an average sized WW today but would definitely avoid the cut to LW.

And I stand by it.
An average WW. So he could make 155 at some point, specially early in his career, but would not be a career LW. Just like modern average sized WWs stay at WW.

GSP never said he would have competed at LW in modern day, or that he is a small WW. He is not huge as he was by the standards of 20 years ago, that's it.

For some reason you want him to be skinny George and go through a gruesome weight-cut 24hours before fight but I think that 1- GSP is smarter than that and 2 - He doesnt need to, he would be at the top of the food chain at his peak 170lbs version still today while not signifcantly undersized

I guarantee hes not 5ft10. He was bloated at 185. He would have carried that weight much better if he were really 5ft10. Hes closer to 5ft7 1/2 at best.

Conor-McGregor-GSP-930406.jpg

Even spread legs Anderson towers over him.

gsp_silva.jpg
Conor is a legit 5'9 jeez!! So what is Matt Hugh's 5"5 and matt serra 5"3 <45>how tall is dj 4"10 lol you're and idiot

Back