• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Media Alexander Volkanovski: "You deserve one in Abu Dhabi. My turn to get booed."

Part of the Abu Dhabi deal surely involves Islam as a main event. Only big balls Volk would take the fight AND still draw. Gamrot, even though he was backup, would not draw as much.
Makhachev was ranked #6 at that time

I don’t like Volk but like him in this video lol

BFF's

vmS5cFc.jpg

Volkanovski is a warrior, he won me over after the Makhachev bout and now accepting this bout without hesitation is what more fighters need to aspire for. Fans where making excuses for Oliveira fighting Makhachev in Abu Dhabi & also Charles complaining a little, but it’s his own doing by missing weight and being stripped, and here comes Volkanovski like a fucking savage just going for it. I may dislike Volkanovski teammates and Edmond Baremans game plans for him, but as a individual I will always have respect for Volkanovski going forward. Im hoping for a amazing fight

Do they really booo in Abu Dhabi? Crowd turned against A Silva for his clowning tactics once but other than that I have thought it as takes what it gets kinda crowd.
They don’t, it’s a common misconception and people love to say they do boo. Dustin Poirier was cheered on his walkout against Khabib same as Gaethje. Dustin Poirier was on the verge of tears in his post interview against Khabib, crowd was at attention, silenced during and Poirier got a standing ovation and was respected in the Octagon and on his way to the locker room from the fans whilst in emotional state with his family.

We the audience deserve better . Volko and Charles already lost and after Islam beats him again they will give him Charles again, what next Bobby Green and Drew Dober? The LW division is stacked with fighters who have not received a chance why are we watching reruns instead?

I agree with you. We already seen Volk Islam fight and Volk had a training camp for that fight.Volk probably doing this one for the money . We should be seeing fresh fights.

We the audience deserve better . Volko and Charles already lost and after Islam beats him again they will give him Charles again, what next Bobby Green and Drew Dober? The LW division is stacked with fighters who have not received a chance why are we watching reruns instead?

Gaethje (#2) adamantly has always said he doesn't accept short notice fights. Do you really think ranked fighters 3-5 Dariush (loss), Porier (loss) Chandler (loss) deserve it more than Volk?

Never go full retard. It’s unbecoming.
<Neil01>

Did you see the massive cut above his eye??
Looked like a vagina…I heard it both ways though, could be a vagina could be a cut, same same but different but still same.

Anyone would take the fight, let’s not kid ourselves here. The payday and opportunity is huge for any fighter.

Gaethje (#2) adamantly has always said he doesn't accept short notice fights. Do you really think ranked fighters 3-5 Dariush (loss), Porier (loss) Chandler (loss) deserve it more than Volk?
Yes, in a sense they do.

People love to shit on Makhachev for not fighting anyone at the top. But will happily take Volkanovski who Makhachev already beat but discard Poirier, Dariush & Chandler like you kinda did who Makhachev hasn’t even fought yet. Honestly anyone in the top 5 at LW and Volkanovski would be a great choice, even if they’re coming off losses. Gaethje is supposedly the BMF, he should never ever be called that again in any capacity, Volkanovski stepped the fuck up like a champ he is & even if he didn’t, Poirier for sure would’ve on one of the calls for a replacement had the UFC had fighters decline the fight.

Tbf the LW division is pretty weak. Only Gaethje and Arman would be interesting vs Islam. The others have no chance, they're pretty average and would easily get mauled.

Yes, in a sense they do.

People love to shit on Makhachev for not fighting anyone at the top. But will happily take Volkanovski who Makhachev already beat but discard Poirier, Dariush & Chandler like you kinda did who Makhachev hasn’t even fought yet. Honestly anyone in the top 5 at LW and Volkanovski would be a great choice, even if they’re coming off losses. Gaethje is supposedly the BMF, he should never ever be called that again in any capacity, Volkanovski stepped the fuck up like a champ he is & even if he didn’t, Poirier for sure would’ve on one of the calls for a replacement had the UFC had fighters decline the fight.

Gaethje has good reason to decline the fight. It would be his 3rd, and last chance, at a title. Fighting a wrestler like Islam on 11 days notice is not smart. I would also bet he cannot make championship weight so soon.

Poirier, it's a bad look to get a title shot off a head kick KO loss. Dariush I bet was never offered (it's just not a big fight). Chandler I suspect would accept, but also cannot make championship weight so soon.

Volks advantage is he's a 145'er. He gets a 10 pound cushion the other guys don't have. It's easier for him to make 155 on 11 days notice.

Alex thinks he will still be able to fight for the 145 belt win or lose this fight, which tells me he thinks he will be choked out fast or koed

Gaethje has good reason to decline the fight. It would be his 3rd, and last chance, at a title. Fighting a wrestler like Islam on 11 days notice is not smart. I would also bet he cannot make championship weight so soon
I’ll agree to disagree, it’s not really foregone conclusion that Gaethje is next, we still have Oliveira. For all we know Makhachev might move up and a interim or a #1 Contender will be held between Oliveira and Gaethje. Fighters who has stepped up in late notice are more rewarded with the risk they take, Bisping vs Rockhold, Jon Jones vs Shogun Rua, Bj Penn vs Matt Hughes, Diaz vs Mcgregor, Masvidal vs Usman, Strickland vs Adesanya etc.

Then you have fighters who decline bouts that eventually have to take another bout against a killer and lose their place or never get back to it.

The UFC messed up by not having a back up for this bout in first place, Oliveira has missed multiple times and was stripped because of missed weight.
Poirier, it's a bad look to get a title shot off a head kick KO loss. Dariush I bet was never offered (it's just not a big fight). Chandler I suspect would accept, but also cannot make championship weight so soon.
Bad look or not anyone of the names you mentioned would’ve been alright with me, I know people wouldn’t feel the same towards it but when you’re at the top and it’s fresh matchup then I believe it should acceptable. No matter circumstances, it doesn’t hurt to try, unless your fat as fuck LW that throughly enjoys themselves when not contracted for a bout.

Volks advantage is he's a 145'er. He gets a 10 pound cushion the other guys don't have. It's easier for him to make 155 on 11 days notice.
it probably is easier, but Volkanovski himself says 80kgs, but that was earlier this year, maybe he gained more weight or loss weight, who knows, but he’s confident in himself making weight. Poirier on JRE said he walks at 180lbs, he’s not far from what Volkanovski was earlier this year 176lbs. I wouldn’t say it’s a 10lb cushion, but those extras lbs do take a toll that I can acknowledge, buts achievable, we’ve seen fighters like Mendes C make 145lb against Conor, didn’t go his way and fighters like Bisping make 185 that went his way.

Point was the risk vs reward & Gaethje might have to fight another bout to reclaim that number 1 seed, with a decline of this bout.

Alex thinks he will still be able to fight for the 145 belt win or lose this fight, which tells me he thinks he will be choked out fast or koed

I've seen the almanac. Volk will decisively beat Islam at 294, beat Topuria in January, then beat Islam again in the trilogy at UFC 300.

The GOAT debate begins.

Back