Does the "Today's worst NBA team beats 90s Bulls" Theory work in MMA ?

Oris79

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The argument is with the advantage of science and tech and training, today's worst NBA team could beat the best NBA team from the 2000s or before. If true, does this hold up for MMA ?

Could #15 ranked Martin Buday beat any top three HW from, say, 2003-2008 simply because of the advances in training, nutrition, and knowledge since that time because the fight game has evolved that much ?

Today's worst NBA team beats 90s Bulls
Do people actually think this^^>?

And what rules are we playing with?
82uv9j.jpg

I would say that MMA as a newer sport has evolved more rapidly due to the integration of fighters being well versed in all aspects of MMA compared to the early UFC days where a lot of fighters were 1 dimensional. But that would be fighters in the 90s and early 2000s. I do not believe Tito Ortiz would be a top 5 LHW today, even in his prime.

If Jordan was playing with today's rules he would probably average over 40 points a game.

I don't want to turn your thread into a basketball debate, but the 90's Bulls could beat any team today..
I disagree, todays game is spacing and 3 point shooting. The only player on that 90s bulls team that could shoot 3s consistently was steve kerr. They would have to adjust their game to todays rules and game, so its just a bias opinion to think that a team 30 yrs ago would beat any team today. Its just a fun debate.

Obviously yes. There are more fighters now which makes it harder to reach the top. Anderson got the MW title show after just 1 fight in UFC, nowadays guys have to get a 7 fight win streak minimum (there are exceptions to the rule) to just get the opportunity. Some have to go even further.

Has basketball training tactics evolved that much or became more popular since the 90s. I am not knowledgeable of basketball, but that sounds off to me since its an old sport. For MMA, I do believe the best fighters are still to be seen. The fighting game is still improving and more importantly, it became much more mainstream, which mean that there are probably a lot more kids our day training MMA and phenoms are on their way. That said, current roaster are not that much better IMO than the one just before. The latest great jump in talent was post Matt Hughes era. Since it has been relatively stable.

Haha, this thread will get moved quickly. Depends on the rule set of course. I think only elite beats elite, regardless of the timeframe. So 90’s Bulls will be competitive with any team, whether it’s the Warriors from 4 years ago or the Lebron-Wade Heat team before them, the Shaq-Kobe Lakers, etc.. Officials do have a hand in how the game is played, certainly in NBA. I’m 46, I watched those Bulls teams. Jordan benefited from officiating too. If you touched Jordan, it was a foul, but he could out and out grab opponents and it was ‘good defense.’ Kobe got the same favoritism. Just as today, prime Fedor was only beatable by prime Cain, prime Stipe, prime Jon Jones, prime Ngannou (and big Frank might still be in his prime). The difference between the cage and ring would have a huge impact too. It’s just a lot of arguments.

Has basketball training tactics evolved that much or became more popular since the 90s. I am not knowledgeable of basketball, but that sounds off to me since its an old sport. For MMA, I do believe the best fighters are still to be seen. The fighting game is still improving and more importantly, it became much more mainstream, which mean that there are probably a lot more kids our day training MMA and phenoms are on their way. That said, current roaster are not that much better IMO than the one just before. The latest great jump in talent was post Matt Hughes era. Since it has been relatively stable.
Basketball the sport, at least the US version, has fundamentally changed.

There's a lot of nuance that if you don't know basketball won't make sense, but it became a close or long range game now, very little midrange. Application of foul rules differ, 3 point shot is far more prevalent, etc.

Last edited:
Back