Does the "Today's worst NBA team beats 90s Bulls" Theory work in MMA ?

Today's best NBA teams get beat silly and carted off the court against any respectable 90s team.

Basketball foul rules have become WAY softer.

You absolutely have a point, but the perimeter players of today would be hell for any era. The size of these guys is crazy. Jordan is still probably the greatest player ever, but Lebron, Giannis, and Kevin Durant would give him all he could handle. Jordan was a dominant 6-6 guard in his time. Lebron is the size of Karl Malone with Magic Johnson skill. Giannis and Kevin are 6-11, 7 footers. Ain’t blocking their shots unless they are in the lane.

You absolutely have a point, but the perimeter players of today would be hell for any era. The size of these guys is crazy. Jordan is still probably the greatest player ever, but Lebron, Giannis, and Kevin Durant would give him all he could handle. Jordan was a dominant 6-6 guard in his time. Lebron is the size of Karl Malone with Magic Johnson skill. Giannis and Kevin are 6-11, 7 footers. Ain’t blocking their shots unless they are in the lane.
I don't dispute that the new breed are bigger, stronger, faster. That's clear. Guys built like centers move like guards now, it's wild.

It's a different game though, from a physicality standpoint. They don't beat the hell or of each other like they used to is my main point.

They embraced the heel persona and didn't break character. I loved their resurgence in the mid 00s with Billups/Wallace line-up.

I LOVED that team. Soooo, happy they manhandled that Lakers squad. A real throwback team, Wallace was like Bill Russell, all physicality and dirty work.

Last edited:
The argument is with the advantage of science and tech and training, today's worst NBA team could beat the best NBA team from the 2000s or before. If true, does this hold up for MMA ?

Could #15 ranked Martin Buday beat any top three HW from, say, 2003-2008 simply because of the advances in training, nutrition, and knowledge since that time because the fight game has evolved that much ?
MJ and his bulls crush any of Lebitches handpicked teams he won titles with

Rodman would make Lebron retire from basketball

I don't dispute that the new breed are bigger, stronger, faster. That's clear. Guys built like centers move like guards now, it's wild.

It's a different game though, from a physicality standpoint. They don't beat the hell or of each other like they used to is my main point.

Yeah, no I get you. And I think, especially Lebron would’ve done well in any era. I know he’s a flopper but that’s the game these guys play now. He can play physical. Fucking Harden is the worst. Can’t wait to see that shit retire. Good riddance.

The argument is with the advantage of science and tech and training, today's worst NBA team could beat the best NBA team from the 2000s or before. If true, does this hold up for MMA ?

Could #15 ranked Martin Buday beat any top three HW from, say, 2003-2008 simply because of the advances in training, nutrition, and knowledge since that time because the fight game has evolved that much ?
only kids think that bullshit is true. 90s Basketball was epitome for me personally, players were tough, played defense, and had fundamentals that are severely lacking in today's game. Most of those 90s teams would beat most of the teams of today. Players and Teams of today in basketball are charmin soft, lack true competitiveness and any grit, and I do not see any skill discrepancy (this is basically a newbie perspective bias).

In the mma, that is not true at all. MMA is a new sport and has evolved significantly, and still in growing phase, and hasn't experienced the same cycle that nba has.

I LOVED that team. Soooo, happy they manhandled that Lakers squad. A real throwback back team, Wallace was like Bill Russell, all physicality and dirty work.
Agreed. He was like a hockey enforcer, not there to score, but to throw the other teams off their game by muscling them around. Add to that the sharpshooters in Hamilton and Prince, the playmaking of Billups, and it was a joy to watch. And for me, the best part was that it wasn't a team built around a superstar (or a collection of not-quite-superstars like Celtics and Heat from around the same era)- it was five seemingly unexceptional dudes who gelled together, put their egos aside, and worked towards a common goal of smashing their enemies.

Obviously yes. There are more fighters now which makes it harder to reach the top. Anderson got the MW title show after just 1 fight in UFC, nowadays guys have to get a 7 fight win streak minimum (there are exceptions to the rule) to just get the opportunity. Some have to go even further.
That’s just not true. Firstly, Anderson was coming into the org as the Cage Rage MW champ, and had fought in PRIDE previously. Think of Jiri coming in as the RIZIN champ. How many fights did he fight to get a TS, like 2? Michael Chandler was a mult-time Bellator champion and only had to get one win to get a UFC TS. Poatan only fought 3 fights for no real reason other than there was a backstory between him and Izzy.

It depends on the weight class + org of course.
It also depends a lot on styles + matchups.
The overall quality of striking has increased dramatically, but the overall quality of grappling+wrestling feels like it's taken a hit for most weight categories.

Agreed. He was like a hockey enforcer, not there to score, but to throw the other teams off their game by muscling them around. Add to that the sharpshooters in Hamilton and Prince, the playmaking of Billups, and it was a joy to watch. And for me, the best part was that it wasn't a team built around a superstar (or a collection of not-quite-superstars like Celtics and Heat from around the same era)- it was five seemingly unexceptional dudes who gelled together, put their egos aside, and worked towards a common goal of smashing their enemies.
I'm a pistons fan, so my favorite teams are 89-90 Pistons (Laimbeer is my favorite player of all time). Those teams were similar in a lot of way to 2004 Pistons as well. Deep, tough, unselfish teams that made NBA change rule sets, which makes today's product completely unwatchable for me. I literally lost all interest in actual NBA games, it sucks so bad.

Do people actually think this^^>?

And what rules are we playing with?
82uv9j.jpg
Can you imagine today's "flopping" vs 80's and 90's Bird, Oakley, Barkley and Laimbeer?

It depends on the weight class + org of course.
It also depends a lot on styles + matchups.
The overall quality of striking has increased dramatically, but the overall quality of grappling+wrestling feels like it's taken a hit for most weight categories.

I think the rules have changed MMA, quite a bit. It’s taken some of the effectiveness of grapplers away. Especially if they aren’t going to enforce fence grabs. Real credit to Khabib to be so dominant, despite that. He really molded his style so that he didn’t just blanket, he was always trying to improve position.

I think a top 15 HW today would be in line for a title shot in the 90s. Mid-2000's... not so much. I don't think Fedor, Nog, Arlovski, or Timmeh would have to lose too much sleep about Martin Buday.

The Pete Williams, Mark Coleman, Pedro Rizzo, TK, Travis Fulton Era of the sport might have some problems.

Back