Opinion Why is Gentrification always a bad thing ?

Oris79

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Gentrification: The process whereby the character of a poor urban area is changed by wealthier people moving in, improving housing, and attracting new businesses - typically displacing current inhabitants in the process.

NY10Years_009.jpg

In a nut shell, if a certain demographic is unable to maintain a clean, safe, and vibrant neighborhood, they are ousted by those who are able and willing. Isn't this how evolution works; survival of the fittest ?

The conditions of a neighborhood are mostly the result of the choices of the people who live there; not only income levels. If certain groups choose to embrace a culture which leads to rampant poverty, illiteracy, and crime, isn't it a good thing if that culture is displaced and eventually disillusioned to the point they abandon the attitudes which got them there in the first place ?

Bad and good are subjective. On a geological timeline none of it matters anyway. All the wonderful and terrible events in history have led us to where we are today. If not for all of it, many individuals alive today would not exist, or would have unrecognizably different existences.

TLDR: there is no good or bad, there is only what is.

Gentrification is a good thing, but you creeped it up by talking about evolution. Yikes.

It's a good thing when superior ideas and cultures remove immoral, weaker, and corrupt ones. That's what I mean by 'evolution,' in this case.

The people don't just disappear when rich yuppies move in, they just get displaced.

I've seen a lot of communities destroyed due to people moving away as housing becomes too expensive. Go to any rich area in London and you'll see it's a pretty, shiny, vacuous place where nobody knows or cares about their neighbours.

Fine if that's how you want to live your life.

It's not always a bad thing. Making a shithole like Inglewood or DTLA nicer over the years you're losing nothing of value. Did the same with my hometown of Long Beach nothing but vagrants and dregs of society in downtown before they put in some nicer apartments and shopping. I mean it still sucks but it's much nicer. Not sure I feel the same if they tear down a historic landmark or apartments for older residents. But generally when people invest in an area it's a good thing.

In a nut shell, if a certain demographic is unable to maintain a clean, safe, and vibrant neighborhood, they are ousted by those who are able and willing. Isn't this how evolution works; survival of the fittest ?

The conditions of a neighborhood are mostly the result of the choices of the people who live there; not only income levels. If certain groups choose to embrace a culture which leads to rampant poverty, illiteracy, and crime, isn't it a good thing if that culture is displaced and eventually disillusioned to the point they abandon the attitudes which got them there in the first place ?

I’d get fired if I ever said that publicly

The people don't just disappear when rich yuppies move in, they just get displaced.

I've seen a lot of communities destroyed due to people moving away as housing becomes too expensive. Go to any rich area in London and you'll see it's a pretty, shiny, vacuous place where nobody knows or cares about their neighbours.

Fine if that's how you want to live your life.

Explain how everything outside London looks. From what I hear its...not great.

wasn't gentrification old news and the cool new thing was entire blocks with no open shops in sight n just "for lease" signs on every building that used to contain businesses that got robbed n rioted into oblivion

Gentrification: The process whereby the character of a poor urban area is changed by wealthier people moving in, improving housing, and attracting new businesses - typically displacing current inhabitants in the process.

NY10Years_009.jpg

The way it works here in my country is very simple.

Minority community moans that the government has neglected and forgotten them.

Government starts pumping money into said community making it more attractive on the eye, more vibrant, more jobs and safer.

Minority community moans that its now "too white ".

Explain how everything outside London looks. From what I hear its...not great.

That's like asking how everything outside of Los Angeles looks. A vast majority of the UK is amazing. Some of the big cities resemble mini London's with all the issues that comes with. Other smaller cities/towns have also seen marked decline, such as York, Brighton and Bristol.

But on the flip side, a majority of market towns are great places and there's some truly amazing cities like Norwich and Edinburgh. However there is definitely a creeping homogeneity across the country

Then you get your pits of dispair, like Jaywick Sands.

It's a good thing when superior ideas and cultures remove immoral, weaker, and corrupt ones. That's what I mean by 'evolution,' in this case.

That's not how it actually works. I think you're like the proverbial blind squirrel here, and showing your work kind of reveals that.

We should not fight efforts to make the built environment in a place nicer. Building more enhances affordability, though, and restricting construction drives up costs. That's not to say that no one ever gets priced out of their neighborhood, though.

Ahh blaming the poor for poverty. Based

Serious question, do you ever rub elbows with legit poor people?

If so, do you think that they are merely just victims of circumstance or do you think that they themselves (and their parents) hold some sort of personal responsibility in keeping themselves poor through their own behaviors?

That's like asking how everything outside of Los Angeles looks. A vast majority of the UK is amazing. Some of the big cities resemble mini London's with all the issues that comes with. Other smaller cities/towns have also seen marked decline, such as York, Brighton and Bristol.

But on the flip side, a majority of market towns are great places and there's some truly amazing cities like Norwich and Edinburgh. However there is definitely a creeping homogeneity across the country

Then you get your pits of dispair, like Jaywick Sands.

From what I read, without London the rest of Britain wouldnt be much better off than Mississippi, the poorest State in the US. And I'm not talking about the aesthetic, charm, and quality of people of Britain, but just about the wealth inequality concentrated to London that doesnt filter outward.

Last edited:
Serious question, do you ever rub elbows with legit poor people?

If so, do you think that they are merely just victims of circumstance or do you think that they themselves (and their parents) hold some sort of personal responsibility in keeping themselves poor through their own behaviors?

I am a boxing trainer, most of my client base are poor people and most of them were born poor. Their parents were or are poor. Their grandparents are or were poor. Do you call that circumstance?

Everyone holds some personal responsibility. But I have also seen kids come out of both public and private education systems without a lick of knowledge of finance and as sokn as they start life as a worker bee, have neither the time nor the idea of where to begin to learn otherwise. Hell Boxing has a tendency to exploit these kids and I could do a whole thread about how. Selling their blood for views while all the wealth in the Sport is concentrated in the hands of men who would never in their lives do this. I do my best to better groom my students than that, because the truth is they're against a system that very efficiently can keep them where they are.

Back