Rumored Report: Tyson Fury vs. Francis Ngannou Apparently 'Bombed' In Terms Of U.S. PPV Buys

that tweet doesn't say he would've gotten 8 mill for Jon fight though, it doesn't say he WOULDN'T have either.. but that tweet definitely doesn't confirm it

"UFC offered Ngannou around $8 million to fight Jon Jones in what would have been the biggest bout of the 2023 calendar year."

edit - for some reason the article to that besides the twitter won't show. Just google "Francis Ngannou Talks UFC Split, $8M Contract Offer to Fight Jon Jones, More" its the first result.

and lord knows those poor muslim bastards ain't gonna fill an arena up at American PPV time sitting there in the middle of the night dead sober

you sound super racist, but calling people "poor muslim bastards" when they can put up more money for any sporting event ever...is ironic

His coach said it's not $8M per fight GUARANTEED cause if he loses to Jon it then drops.

Fairly obviously that implies that:
  • Jon is $8M
  • It stays $8M until he loses
And regardless, again Francis himself told Ariel it was $8M for Jones alone.

Sure. I just wanted to be 1000% sure because all the language I had heard on this subject before was extremely vague and never formulated concretely as "8 mil for this ONE fight"

Yeah most people will not pay 80 large ones to watch that, and especially at the time, Saudi time is a lot different. $80 for UFC and a boxing fight is absurd, they have priced the real fans out. The price is way too much now and makes no sense.. all you are doing is making everyones decisions for them.. which is no thanks.

If they wanted attention, why was it hidden behind a PPV paywall then? They could have put it on youtube for free and had a massive amount of attention.

All the fight promotions needs to get with the times and just accept they need to use a streaming platform and base their revenue of that stream. There's already ads on their official streams, just cut the shit already and have everybody in one place watching one stream and they'll make up the money that way by upping how much they charge advertisers per view.

They complain they lose so much money from us watching pirated streams meanwhile they'd make the money if they just gave us the stream they want us to watch. I don't give a fuck if it needs to be ESPN+ or Disney given they currently own them, but I'm not paying for both the app and the PPV. Pick one, or hell a free version with even more ads. Whatever. Just get us all in one place for free already.

For some reason retard Youtube influencers can figure this out in 2023 but promotions can't. ONE gets this at least by having the occasional Amazon Prime event. It's in fact the only time I ever watch ONE as it's so easily there for me.

So, who cares besides ufc shills? The important thing is that real fans got a great match
That was a fucking terrible match. Clearly you know absolutely nothing about boxing. Total shit fight that is only interesting for the result. The actual fighting was amateur hour flaming crap. Talk about fighting down to the level of your opposition . . .

That was a fucking terrible match. Clearly you know absolutely nothing about boxing. Total shit fight that is only interesting for the result. The actual fighting was amateur hour flaming crap. Talk about fighting down to the level of your opposition . . .
That francis knock down made it a good fight, how many boring ass fights don't even have a knock down?

Francis himself is the one who told Ariel it was $8M to fight Jones.

His own coach also seemingly implied it was $8M per fight so long as kept winning but the hangup was that his pay dropped if he lost to Jones

chrome_vviGG8UIKP.jpg

Which uh yeah. If you're no longer champ you don't get championship pay. But that seems to say his deal was worth $8M / fight so long as he remained champ.
Well, to be honest it cant be 8 million flat per fight win or lose, my guess is that it was going to be less no matter what, no way they pay him $8 million to fight Pavlovich, Blaydes who he already beat, Aspinall and so on., also imo those $8M were including estimated PPV sales.

Not surprising based on the reasons that multiple users have stated above.

With what? The saudis are already throwing money at Francis for another event, whatever they wanted out of this they obviously got it.

Basically my take as well.
The Saudis got a chance to sportswash their country which (considering their collective wealth) may very well end up being a bigger return in the long run than a financially successful event would have been.

Is that really confirmed though? The way I interpreted it it was always 8 mil for a multi-fight deal. The language was very vague.
I got the impression that Francis wants to have control over his life/career/etc...
So within reason, the money would have mattered significantly less to him than to his peers.

I mean if they wanted the PPV to do well in North America, then they should have aired the main fight around 10pm or midnight EST. Instead it aired mid afternoon. Of course it bombed. Are they retards?

Curious what Fury and Ngannou actually made. It is hard to sift thru the steaming pile of seven layer bullshit cake that is the current way fight pay is handled.

They couldn't have expected huge PPV numbers given the time and price and non existent undercard.

When they do these Saudi events I assume that the Saudi rich fuckers are just throwing their money around because they can afford to.

I really doubt anyone intelligent actually expected this freakshow to pull big PPV #s at $80 for a morning card US time.

Ufc shill response

Have fun with it hater, francis still owned dana and the ufc. Live with it
Lmao 60k ppv buys = owned
Imagine what his PFL numbers will do

Francis did come out the winner though...everybody else lost, fury, saudis, pfl, ufc

My friend group was at a cottage and going to miss it because we were obviously doing other shit during the day. We only saw it because I'd set a reminder ahead of time for when it was estimated the main event would start and did everything up til that moment before looking for a stream.

Texted another group chat of guys who weren't there to see if any of them had a stream. That group had no idea the fight was even on yet because of the time change and only realized it from my text.

When I threw it on the most of the guys drifted over for the novelty of it even though most didn't really know who Ngannou or Fury was (one guy piped up when I mentioned Ngannou KO'd Overeem dead as he knew who Overeem was). The girls obviously didn't give a fuck and if they don't you'll of course get some guys who'll stick with them instead.

Long story short, I caused like 10 people across friend groups and time zones to see the fight who otherwise wouldn't as everybody else was doing other shit / had no idea the fight was even starting. Riyadh might be a great place to hold a spectacle and pay guys well, but it's an absolute shit place to hold a PPV for a primarily NA audience.

And yeah. It's 2023. Nobody is paying for PPVs. Just provide us a real stream and base your numbers of what that pulls and call it a day already. There's already fucking ads in the PPV and you still want us to pay for it on top of that.
Are you 11

Not surprising at all, almost no one thought it would do well at all in the U.S.

If the fight hadn't been so surprising it would have gotten little more than a blip on the news, too. Few people were expecting an entertaining fight so who was going to pay $80 to see that? Plus everyone was saying "it's an exhibition" which was just put out their by competitors with an interest in seeing it fail. "not sanctioned by the WBC" does not equal "exhibition"

ppv buys don't define the value of a fight or the fighters. The fight was legendary and it's gonna be talked about a lot in the next decade. What casuals buy or don't buy is irrelevant.

Back