Rumored Report: Tyson Fury vs. Francis Ngannou Apparently 'Bombed' In Terms Of U.S. PPV Buys

TerraRayzing

Little eagle soars again
@Brown
Reaction score
While the controversial split-decision stole headlines worldwide, the build to Tyson Fury vs. Francis Ngannou wasn't enough to convince people to shell out the $79.99 for the bout.

According to recent reports, the bout, which resulted in a split-decision victory for Fury, would by far be one of the biggest busts when it comes to PPV purchases for U.S. residents.

"As far as U.S. interest goes, while there was interest after the fight as Google searches for the weekend had it second behind only the death of Matthew Perry, but as a PPV it bombed. Television PPV buys were about 11,500. We were told a 56,000 figure streaming on ESPN+. Obviously that figure I can’t double check but the television buying figure we have first-hand strongly accurate numbers on it. It was ahead of what the KSI vs. Tommy Fury and Logan Paul vs. Dillon Danis fight did on U.S. television PPV. These fights may have done substantially better in the U.K. where Tyson Fury, Tommy Fury and KSI are far bigger celebrities. As far as the Ngannou television PPV buyers, 24.3 percent also bought Canelo Alvarez’s fight with Jermell Charlo, 4.8 percent bought the Logan Paul fight, and 1.2 percent bought AEW WrestleDream. Because most WWE buyers watch on Peacock, you can’t make a comparison that is fair past of the WWE actual PPV buyers for Fastlane on television 1.1 percent purchased the Ngannou-Fury fight. But as far as television PPV buys, this show was slightly below (may end up about the same or slightly head) WWE Fastlane for buyers through cable television or satellite providers, even with Fastlane having most of its viewers on Peacock and not buying it."

Not only does 11,500 domestic PPV buys seem low, but it would also easily be the lowest numbers either Fury or Ngannou have ever garnered when headlining a PPV event.

https://www.mmanews.com/news/report...ou-apparently-bombed-in-terms-of-u-s-ppv-buys

dana-white-austin-powers.gif

Yeah forcing 80 dollars on a fucking freakshow fight was never going to turnout well, especially an early card at that...
Saudis obviously dont care but ESPN should be facepalming right about now, Conor/Floyd got away with it because it was the 2 biggest draws in combat sports history fighting and while Fury has been a decent draw at times hes never been at that level and Ngannou has never been a decent draw period.

Last edited:
Basically was supposed to be a squash match and after the Conor vs Mayweather bs where it was clear Floyd carried him no one really cares about another crossover and also it was on at literally like 10am in the states

Let them - it's all they have. Haters gonna hate. Doesn't change the fact that Ngannou took on the UFC and won, made a ton of money, and (arguably) beat the HW boxing champion.
The UFC won too though because if they capitulated to Big Franks demand and copromoted this fight they would’ve lost a lot of money.

My friend group was at a cottage and going to miss it because we were obviously doing other shit during the day. We only saw it because I'd set a reminder ahead of time for when it was estimated the main event would start and did everything up til that moment before looking for a stream.

Texted another group chat of guys who weren't there to see if any of them had a stream. That group had no idea the fight was even on yet because of the time change and only realized it from my text.

When I threw it on the most of the guys drifted over for the novelty of it even though most didn't really know who Ngannou or Fury was (one guy piped up when I mentioned Ngannou KO'd Overeem dead as he knew who Overeem was). The girls obviously didn't give a fuck and if they don't you'll of course get some guys who'll stick with them instead.

Long story short, I caused like 10 people across friend groups and time zones to see the fight who otherwise wouldn't as everybody else was doing other shit / had no idea the fight was even starting. Riyadh might be a great place to hold a spectacle and pay guys well, but it's an absolute shit place to hold a PPV for a primarily NA audience.

And yeah. It's 2023. Nobody is paying for PPVs. Just provide us a real stream and base your numbers of what that pulls and call it a day already. There's already fucking ads in the PPV and you still want us to pay for it on top of that.

In B4 shills celebrating
way ahead of it...i was saying this for a week now. Frankis gets paid 10m to fight fury on a flopped card so no PPV points, when he cudda fought john for... 10m + PPV view points on a PPV that would have been a blockbuster. WHo fumbled what bag now?

"but but.. now dat fans know francis is legit at boxing too his next fight will sell hUGEE MAN, even tho he was never a good MMA draw either. There have been many boxing champs who couldn't sell tickets but we totally know for sure Frank will be a huge draw in a sport even less people care about than MMA, when he couldnt even draw in mma!

...but Frank is a heavyweight yo!!! how could a heavyweight boxing champ ever Not be a draw man? I could see the manlet weights not drawing but That's totally impossible for the HW boxing champ to not draw, even tho Klitschko is 1 champ removed from putting the entire HW boxing world on hibernation mode for a decade. Speaking of sleep, francis is the cure for insomnia on the mic but he's gonna be a big draw we just know it! His age rounds up to 40 & injury prone but hes an excellent total long term investment for boxing promoters. WHo wants to get in line to sign the check for frank's next fight?"

Last edited:
The UFC won too though because if they capitulated to Big Franks demand and copromoted this fight they would’ve lost a lot of money.

If the UFC had co-promoted this fight it wouldn't have occurred in fucking Riyadh which is like 99% of the problem with trying to see it. Of course Tyson isn't even allowed in the US which is a whole separate issue of why the UFC wouldn't touch the fight either.

When I said it would do less than 50k PPVs, I was called a deluded hater, yet my reasoning seems to have been solid: Ngannou is a scary fighter, but a shit PPV seller.
If the UFC had co-promoted this fight it wouldn't have occurred in fucking Riyadh which is like 99% of the problem with trying to see it. Of course Tyson isn't even allowed in the US which is a whole separate issue of why the UFC wouldn't touch the fight either.
Tyson not allowed in the US because he has alleged ties with some organized criminal in Ireland, meanwhile, terrorists and cartel members can literally just walk across the open US border lol.

So, who cares besides ufc shills? The important thing is that real fans got a great match and saw Francis beat up Fury. The sheiks are rich enough fuck em

Francis still laughing his way to the bank

My friend group was at a cottage and going to miss it because we were obviously doing other shit during the day. We only saw it because I'd set a reminder ahead of time for when it was estimated the main event would start and did everything up til that moment before looking for a stream.

Texted another group chat of guys who weren't there to see if any of them had a stream. That group had no idea the fight was even on yet because of the time change and only realized it from my text.

When I threw it on the most of the guys drifted over for the novelty of it even though most didn't really know who Ngannou or Fury was (one guy piped up when I mentioned Ngannou KO'd Overeem dead as he knew who Overeem was). The girls obviously didn't give a fuck and if they don't you'll of course get some guys who'll stick with them instead.

Long story short, I caused like 10 people across friend groups and time zones to see the fight who otherwise wouldn't as everybody else was doing other shit / had no idea the fight was even starting. Riyadh might be a great place to hold a spectacle and pay guys well, but it's an absolute shit place to hold a PPV for a primarily NA audience.

And yeah. It's 2023. Nobody is paying for PPVs. Just provide us a real stream and base your numbers of what that pulls and call it a day already. There's already fucking ads in the PPV and you still want us to pay for it on top of that.

and lord knows those poor muslim bastards ain't gonna fill an arena up at American PPV time sitting there in the middle of the night dead sober

So, who cares besides ufc shills? The important thing is that real fans got a great match and saw Francis beat up Fury. The sheiks are rich enough fuck em

Francis still laughing his way to the bank

I mean it's $10M to fight Fury in a fight nobody apparently watched

vs

$8M to fight Jones in a fight everybody would've watched.

Back