Judges are cowards... hence why scoring is broken!

Shaddows

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Take the main event last night.
Pure domination throughout all 5 rounds.
A fighter spends all 5 rounds in one of the most dominant positions, and yet only ONE judge scores a 10-8.

Heck, if we are talking about domination, and having fucking 10 points to award fighters, why the fuck every single fucking round is a 10-9? Be it a close round or a dominating round!!!

This is not a 10 points round, it's a fucking binary system!!!

How can this be fixed???
Thoughts?

The 10 point must scoring system is a very weird thing, indeed. I didnt really realize how weird it is until recently when my girlfriend and her friend wanted to watch the recent fight card and I was explaining things they were asking about.

There were a lot of "huh"s and "why though?"s about the scoring.

I don't see why it couldn't be changed. As it is now, it's like you start each round with 10 points and if your opponent does better than you do in the round, you lose one of the ten and he doesn't. If he does much better, you lose two and he doesnt.

Why not make it a positive-scaled system where you start with 0 points and if you do better you get 1, do much better you get 2, etc.

In the 10-point-must system, it's theoretically possible to have a 10-1 round, which would in reality mean something like one fighter separated all the platelets from the other fighter's blood and pulled his fingernails out or something. In reality, we rarely see a 10-8 round, leaving 10-7 through 10-1 as absolute unicorns.

stupid. Must be in order to inflate the numbers to make the fight seem more important or something.

Ok, I'm 100% certain TS has no idea what he's talking about.
Then enlighten me, kid.
The problem is: you can't, because as dumb as I may be, you seem to be worse... oh wait... was this a 10-8 round for me???

bring back yellow cards.

judge the fight as a whole. not by rounds.

boxing scoring does not translate to mma
Yellow cards are not viable in the US. It will make a mess on vai contracts and plenty of judicial battles

I don't think there is a single person on any athletic commission under the age of 55 so..

sorry, but that's bullshit.
A dominating round is not equal a round where a fighter barely won. And BOTH get a 10-9.
You have 8 more numbers to use, so what would a 10-1 look like in your mind???
There's no such thing. The harshest score to give is a 10-7 and that's a round you watch where you basically think 'if that happens for another 5 minutes that man is dead'.
Just read the rules. A quick google search will do the job. They are out there. You might read some things in there you wouldn't have imagined.

I'll go one step further and quote you the official 10-8 criteria:
(iii) A round is to be scored as a 10-8 Round when a contestant wins the round by a large margin by impact, dominance, and duration of striking or grappling in a round.
There needs to be a large margin in difference by impact, dominance and duration. Jailton had dominance and duration, but he just didn't outland Lewis more significantly than in a regular 10-9 round that takes place standing.

This may be confusing on first thought, maybe think of it this way:
Grappling activity/ dominance can determine who wins the round.
But as far as the actual score reads, a large difference in impact is a prerequisite for a 10-8 score and that is in no way affected by where the fight takes place.

I also had Albus rounds 1 and 2 pretty easy and he won on one card 30-27

you have to do DAMAGE to get a 10-8 not just win wrestling positions

You literally don't. From the Unified Rules:
Judges must CONSIDER giving the score of 10 – 8 when a fighter shows dominance in the round even though no impactful scoring against the opponent was achieved.

Most MMA fans (and judges) don't know the rules though apparently. Maybe they should be changed to require damage because that makes more sense, but this is what the rulebook says.

There's no such thing. The harshest score to give is a 10-7 and that's a round you watch where you basically think 'if that happens for another 5 minutes that man is dead'.
Just read the rules. A quick google search will do the job. They are out there. You might read some things in there you wouldn't have imagined.

I'll go one step further and quote you the official 10-8 criteria:

There needs to be a large margin in difference by impact, dominance and duration. Jailton had dominance and duration, but he just didn't outland Lewis more significantly than in a regular 10-9 round that takes place standing.

You straight up quoted the 2012 rules that were changed in 2017.

The 2017 rules do not require impact, dominance, and duration. In fact, the 2017 rules explicitly say you only need one or the other.

Judges must CONSIDER giving the score of 10 – 8 when a fighter shows dominance in the round even though no impactful scoring against the opponent was achieved.

Judges must CONSIDER giving the score of 10 – 8 when a fighter IMPACTS their opponent significantly in a round even though they do not dominate the action.

So while most judges don't score 10-8s for damage without domination, or domination without damage, they can consider doing so which means it wouldn't be wrong to score 10-8s for Jailton Almeida.

Back